PDA

View Full Version : DIY GPS mount and hookup with 12V outlet - video

finless
04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
As many that read here a lot might recall, there was a lot of GPS talk over the last month.
I also wanted a GPS but did not want to spend a fortune on it considering the limit amount I use a GPS. The BRP setup is just too expensive in my opinion considering the alternatives out there. I also dont want anything on my handle bars so I did it another way.
I bought a cheap used Garmin 775T ($80 on ebay) and finally got around to installing it and getting it all working.

I have to say this 775T GPS is awesome! Does more than a Zumo and will do anything a Zumo can do as far as a motorcycle GPS. It's just not water proof! But I am very happy with this setup.

Thanks to Waswinger for some tips.
Another thanks to Stevedfive for the idea :)

Anyway, here is another one of my videos showing how I did it.
ENJOY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTwhpdFq4Q

Bob

DrewNJ
04-07-2014, 03:49 PM
That's a good move. I have had a handful of nuvis over the years on a number of bikes. Several have gotten wet and I've never once had one fail from water. And when you pick them up cheap you don't worry about them as much in the rain either....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jeriatric
04-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Bob, you're a trip. nojoke

Cruzr Joe
04-07-2014, 04:04 PM
As many that read here a lot might recall, there was a lot of GPS talk over the last month.
I also wanted a GPS but did not want to spend a fortune on it considering the limit amount I use a GPS. The BRP setup is just too expensive in my opinion considering the alternatives out there. I also dont want anything on my handle bars so I did it another way.
I bought a cheap used Garmin 775T ($80 on ebay) and finally got around to installing it and getting it all working.

I have to say this 775T GPS is awesome! Does more than a Zumo and will do anything a Zumo can do as far as a motorcycle GPS. It's just not water proof! But I am very happy with this setup.

Thanks to Wasswinger for some tips.

ENJOY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTwhpdFq4Q

Bob

Finless, his handle is "waswinger" not "wasswinger", sorry but i thought that was very funny. (maybe he was a swinger, maybe he is still a swinger, i don't know but he only admitted to being a winger in the past.) :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie : :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

One wrong letter and you are in a world of trouble. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

finless
04-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Bob, you're a trip. nojoke

Maybe but now I am ready for a trip :)

Bob

Jeriatric
04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Finless, his handle is "waswinger" not "wasswinger", sorry but i thought that was very funny. (maybe he was a swinger, maybe he is still a swinger, i don't know but he only admitted to being a winger in the past.) :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie : :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

One wrong letter and you are in a world of trouble. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

That's some funny stuff Joe.

Oooh wiiing.er.......where are you? :roflblack:

lookerjdc
04-07-2014, 05:54 PM
another great tutorial!!!!

thanks Bob

finless
04-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Sorry Waswinger for the extra S.....
I edited it but because Joe quoted me it now permanent :roflblack:

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Maybe but now I am ready for a trip :)

Bob

That's some funny stuff Joe.

Oooh wiiing.er.......where are you? :roflblack:
That is funny. I missed it myself! :roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Bob, did you run into any interference with the metal behind the dash plastic? When I was looking at how to fasten my ram ball I had to work around the metal behind there.

finless
04-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Bob, did you run into any interference with the metal behind the dash plastic? When I was looking at how to fasten my ram ball I had to work around the metal behind there.

Metal? There is no metal where the analog gauge was. Just a hole and the wire harness. At least on my 2011.
In the video I think there are a few scenes showing what it looks like with the console fave plate removed.

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Metal? There is no metal where the analog gauge was. Just a hole and the wire harness. At least on my 2011.
In the video I think there are a few scenes showing what it looks like with the console fave plate removed.

Bob
Best I can tell by looking at the parts diagram I think it might be the windshield motor support assembly. The right side is different from the left side looks like. Now that I think about it I don't recall seeing the same metal piece on the left side when I had the dash plug out.

finless
04-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Best I can tell by looking at the parts diagram I think it might be the windshield motor support assembly. The right side is different from the left side looks like. Now that I think about it I don't recall seeing the same metal piece on the left side when I had the dash plug out.

No metal on the right either. When you remove the face plate all you see is another plastic panel holding the cluster. On each side is a plastic cup shape the guages sit in. The wire harnesses come through the back of those cups. If there is metal behind those it is way back and I don't see how it would hinder a RAM mount if you put it where the guages would be.

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-08-2014, 12:44 AM
No metal on the right either. When you remove the face plate all you see is another plastic panel holding the cluster. On each side is a plastic cup shape the guages sit in. The wire harnesses come through the back of those cups. If there is metal behind those it is way back and I don't see how it would hinder a RAM mount if you put it where the guages would be.

Bob
Man, you're gonna make me go out and pull my Ram mount off yet, aren't you! :bowdown: Just to prove to myself I'm not imaging things! :banghead: I'd swear it's metal, but I know one thing for sure, something is back there about 1/4" or less behind the bezel at the top of the hole and about 1/2" at the bottom, and it sure seemed like it was metal! The '11 and '13 parts diagrams look almost identical in that area.

Bezel looks like it comes out pretty easy with only 4 screws holding it, right? The Ram mount suction cup looks like a great way to go. I had no idea it was made like that.

finless
04-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Man, you're gonna make me go out and pull my Ram mount off yet, aren't you! :bowdown: Just to prove to myself I'm not imaging things! :banghead: I'd swear it's metal, but I know one thing for sure, something is back there about 1/4" or less behind the bezel at the top of the hole and about 1/2" at the bottom, and it sure seemed like it was metal! The '11 and '13 parts diagrams look almost identical in that area.

Bezel looks like it comes out pretty easy with only 4 screws holding it, right? The Ram mount suction cup looks like a great way to go. I had no idea it was made like that.

Yes 4 screws and out it comes.
Now if your trying to put the RAM mount above where the gauges were, you will hit the second plastic panel as it is only maybe 1/4 inch behind the front panel in some areas e.g. you can see the plastic "bump" at the left gauges 11:00 position and the right gauges 1:00 position. Maybe you hit those?

Here is a frame from another video I shot a while back showing what it looks like with the panel removed. As you can see no metal.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=86070&d=1396967129

Bob

tplayer49
04-22-2014, 03:43 AM
Hi Bob,

Many won't be honest with you but here goes. You need to find a teacher before you make another video. You start explaining where you put your mount showing a part that I had no idea what the heck the part was. There are many more improvements that can me made.

HOWEVER.... your idea is excellent and I now have decided to mount as you have. Thanks so much for the idea.

Joe

finless
04-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Hi Bob,

Many won't be honest with you but here goes. You need to find a teacher before you make another video. You start explaining where you put your mount showing a part that I had no idea what the heck the part was. There are many more improvements that can me made.

HOWEVER.... your idea is excellent and I now have decided to mount as you have. Thanks so much for the idea.

Joe

Not sure I understand? Part? Are you talking about the dash frame?

I do these for the fun of it. I don't have time to make some pro scripted production. They are what they are. But I will take any feedback you have to give please.

Bob

RickInGA
04-30-2014, 02:33 PM
What a great video. I'm new to Spyder world (got it almost 2 weeks ago) and Spyderlovers. I can't believe how much fabulous information is here.

i was a bit intimidated by all the plastic and lack of access but, after removing all of the right side in about an hour, the first time, I can now do it in 10 minutes. I was trying to install a GPS and used your video for a guide. I used a different mount, same idea, and hooked a female cig lighter dongle to fuel gage wiring, to accommodate Traffic. All wiring, including female cig lighter dongle, resides behind the analog gage hole. I did not install a 12v outlet on the speaker grill. I ran into problems when trying to locate the harness to hook up the audio wires. No matter how big a flashlight I used, no GPS harness from the radio. There was a dead ended audio wire tie wrapped to the side of the fuel tank (right side of spyder). Turns out this is the audio input for the GPS on a 2014 RT. It is covered in a weatherproof sheath so it may not be recognized, at first.

This little tid bit of info added to this great video should help the next person adding a GPS to a 2014 model RT.

Rick

finless
04-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Great info for the 2014 RT Rick! Having the first half of the GPS cable there already (you have to add this part on 2010-12) I am sure will help people and be easier!

Thanks for adding to the post.

Bob

RickInGA
04-30-2014, 07:21 PM
I guess I should have been clear that the audio connector secured to the right side of the gas tank is already terminated as a 3.5mm stereo male jack. A six foot male (GPS end) to female 3.5mm extender cable will do the trick.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-30-2014, 09:32 PM

Bob

OK, here are some pics of what I was referring to. It is plastic, not metal. My mistake. At the upper left part of the gage hole the plastic behind is right up next to the dash plastic. Hover your mouse over the pic for the identifications.

87369 87370 87371 87372

iSpyder
05-14-2014, 09:01 PM

Thanks to Waswinger for some tips.

ENJOY!

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the great video and awesome idea. I believe I want to give this a try. I have a question... which specific RAM Mount did you use?

Ed

finless
05-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the great video and awesome idea. I believe I want to give this a try. I have a question... which specific RAM Mount did you use?

Ed

This is what I bought. RAM part number is: RAP-B-166-2-GA26U
But this is for the Nuvi 7X5T line.

I bought it on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suction-Cup-Mount-Holder-for-Garmin-nuvi-710-750-785T-775T-755T-765T-780-770-760-/310895679088?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

I believe they sell that same suction cup part on many other GPS mounts not just the Nuvi 775T.

Bob

finless
12-09-2014, 10:36 AM
I was asked to post the pin out diagram for the GPS connector on the right side of the Spyder next to the right saddle bag.

Bob

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=99772&d=1418139379

pitzerwm
12-12-2014, 01:24 AM
Not to hijack Bob's thread but I installed 3 power plugs on my 2011 RS and thought I would add a few things that people might need to know. First the plug behind the frunk was there but apparently wired wrong because fuse 6 or 7 did nothing. I attempted to trace it out and finally gave up and "wired" it to suit my needs. I placed 2 of the plugs in the frunk, and my thinking is that whatever I have plugged in will be locked in the frunk when I park and leave the bike. I did place on plug on the "outside" of the bike. Being an idiot, I placed it in front of my deflector, which I had off at the time. So I guess it might get wet in the rain, but being an old fart, I don't plan on riding in the rain.:)

BTW, I bought this first Ram mount buying it at Car Toys, $50, then I find the same thing at Walmart for $35, free shipping to a store near you. As you can see by the pixs, my first item is a radar detector, as I haven't mastered staying within the speed limit yet. I guess the other will be the phone or GPS.

Check the first pix on the mount and do you see the immediate issue? Can't turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. So moved it.

Max232
02-17-2015, 12:20 AM
Finless, I know you said in the video that you didn't know the part number for those connectors but I am having a difficult time locating some, where did you source them from?
Thanks for the video, it helped me install my gps tonight.

recordingguy
03-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Bob thank you for getting back to my thread. You were right about your video. For some reason I thought of Lamont as the one that come up with the install video. Sorry about that. Have a question for you. I have the Garmin 665 and have the BRP install on the handle bar center. Can I use the wiring harness that is from Garmin when I move the GPS to the gage port like you did. I plan on using the Gas gage port on the right. Seems to me that the wires would have a shorter distance to be rerouted. May be you can give me some insight on this. Bob

finless
03-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Since I do not have the stock spyder GPS cable I just do not know if it will reach. Can you pull the cable to that location?

Bob

bmwlarry
03-06-2015, 01:24 PM
I simply bought a new Garmin cable and left the original where it was. I zip tied the new one to the old one when rerouting. I found the only way to get the cabling off to was to cutting it as the parts don't fit thru the hole in the steering base. Way easier to just the a replacement form garmin or I believe GPScity was the cheapest.

steriltech
10-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Thanks all your ideas were awesome! There is one garmin that has a backup camera maybe that's a good option????