PDA

View Full Version : Fog lights won't work

Rugame2c
04-06-2014, 07:25 AM
I purchased a set of used BRP fog lights. It looks like I have all parts required. After mounting the fogs, I noticed that my bike has connecting plugs for the fog lights already in place so I hooked up fogs to them. My rs is a 2013, and looks different from the instructions I found on a thread here. The harness I have is smaller than the one shown(3 short wires instead of a long one) and seems to be only for hooking up the fog light switch. It has a rely on it, wires for the switch, and a large wider connector. Apparently, there is no place on the bike to hook up or fit this large connector. Since my fogs are already hooked up into the existing harness on the bike, why won't they work? Do I need a ground? Or a new harness? Please help. Sorry about the long email.

SPYD1
04-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Did you use the wiring harness that was in the kit? Did you pick up power? Instructions? PM me if you wish but maybe others could help too. I just added them to mine last fall.

NancysToy
04-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Are you sure you were connected to the foglight circuit. The Euro low beam connectors are in that area, too.

Rugame2c
04-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Did you use the wiring harness that was in the kit? Did you pick up power? Instructions? PM me if you wish but maybe others could help too. I just added them to mine last fall.

The only harness I received was the smaller one that hooks up the fog light switch with the relay attached. Where do I pick up power? I assumed that hooking up lights to the pre existing connections (already present) would be the power source? No instructions, I followed the Lamonster thread found on this site. I will upload a pic of harness when I get home later.

Rugame2c
04-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Are you sure you were connected to the foglight circuit. The Euro low beam connectors are in that area, too.

Im not sure? The connections were sitting right next to where the fogs lights were installed. Fog light connections fit perfectly. Since my model is a 13 RS, I have been told that I don't need a new harness and some still say that I do? Replacements were needed only for the 08-12 models?? If fogs are plugged into the original harness, shouldn't they have power?? Don't want to spend $100 on new harness if it is not needed!! I'm kinda confused?!?!

DrewNJ
04-06-2014, 06:36 PM
If you have the 08'-12' fogs and trying to make them work on a 13' you need to send a message to billrob71. He just did this not to long ago and I know it wasn't 100% plug and play. He had to do something with a set of connectors or a wire in one of the harnesses. I think he said it cost him an extra $10 or so for some extra bits. Good Luck

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

NancysToy
04-06-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm a bit confused. You said nothing about a switch or a switch harness. Did you get that with the foglights, or is it the missing link?

Rugame2c
04-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm a bit confused. You said nothing about a switch or a switch harness. Did you get that with the foglights, or is it the missing link?

This is the harness I received when they were shipped to me by the previous owner. The two small connector pieces are the same ones that were already in place where I installed the fog lights. They connected right to them. The larger end is the one that has no where to plug into.

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/rugame2c/1C8C2EE4-341D-4646-B15C-9CF470637737.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rugame2c/media/1C8C2EE4-341D-4646-B15C-9CF470637737.jpg.html)

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/rugame2c/A150DD25-C15F-490E-B31B-C47E1CD6DAB9.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rugame2c/media/A150DD25-C15F-490E-B31B-C47E1CD6DAB9.jpg.html)

Rugame2c
04-06-2014, 08:29 PM
If you have the 08'-12' fogs and trying to make them work on a 13' you need to send a message to billrob71. He just did this not to long ago and I know it wasn't 100% plug and play. He had to do something with a set of connectors or a wire in one of the harnesses. I think he said it cost him an extra $10 or so for some extra bits. Good Luck

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

The fog light set is for the 2013 RS and ST models.

SPYD1
04-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Does your switch light up? Mine didn't at first as the assembly of those four wires are very "tricky".

Rugame2c
04-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Does your switch light up? Mine didn't at first as the assembly of those four wires are very "tricky".

My problem is that there is nowhere to plug in the harness to get power to the switch or fog lights. My fogs are already connected. I need to get the harness hooked up. Maybe I have the wrong harness?

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-07-2014, 01:37 AM
My problem is that there is nowhere to plug in the harness to get power to the switch or fog lights. My fogs are already connected. I need to get the harness hooked up. Maybe I have the wrong harness?
Look under the plastic on the left side between the mirror and the seat. According to the wiring diagram there should be an available 6 pin flat connector there somewhere. Looks like the 4 pin square connector plugs into a connector from the fog light switch.

This help any?

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Same connector, different wire.

Rugame2c
04-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Look under the plastic on the left side between the mirror and the seat. According to the wiring diagram there should be an available 6 pin flat connector there somewhere. Looks like the 4 pin square connector plugs into a connector from the fog light switch.

This help any?

I will check for that when I get off work today. Thanks

Do you have a 13 model spyder with fogs?

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-07-2014, 10:36 AM
I will check for that when I get off work today. Thanks

Do you have a 13 model spyder with fogs?
I have a '13 base RT that I installed after market LED fog/daytime running lights on. I got pretty familiar with the wiring on that. I also have the 2013 Spyder service manual which has the wiring diagrams for all the models. There are differences between the RS and RT, e.g. the RT does not use a fog light relay. So between my experience and the diagrams I think we can get it all figured out.

In your picture what is the round piece with the wires that have terminals only? Is that the switch? The RT has a toggle switch. Or is it an LED? Whatever it is we have to figure out what connectors those terminals go into. Do you have the installation instructions that came with the lights?

kyspyder
04-07-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that the "round piece" is a fuse holder.

KYSPYDER

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-07-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure that the "round piece" is a fuse holder.

KYSPYDER
Don't think so, not if this is a BRP kit. The power comes to the fog light switch from the load shedding relay. There's no fuse between the two.

Rugame2c
04-07-2014, 06:16 PM
I have a '13 base RT that I installed after market LED fog/daytime running lights on. I got pretty familiar with the wiring on that. I also have the 2013 Spyder service manual which has the wiring diagrams for all the models. There are differences between the RS and RT, e.g. the RT does not use a fog light relay. So between my experience and the diagrams I think we can get it all figured out.

In your picture what is the round piece with the wires that have terminals only? Is that the switch? The RT has a toggle switch. Or is it an LED? Whatever it is we have to figure out what connectors those terminals go into. Do you have the installation instructions that came with the lights?

That round piece is the LED fog light switch. The square connection next to it is what the four terminals go into. The other connection is much wider and looks like it is supposed to mount to frame of bike with the plastic piece to keep it in place. That is the one that I can't find a place to plug it in.
I did not receive any instructions. I followed some from online.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-07-2014, 07:45 PM
That round piece is the LED fog light switch. The square connection next to it is what the four terminals go into. The other connection is much wider and looks like it is supposed to mount to frame of bike with the plastic piece to keep it in place. That is the one that I can't find a place to plug it in.
I did not receive any instructions. I followed some from online.
The big connector must be 16 pin or more, not 6, right? Tell me exactly what color wires go to each piece, main color + trace color. Something doesn't seem to be matching up on the wiring diagram. It shows two of the wires going to the relay as being on the bike already. I really don't think the four wires with the terminals go into the four pin connector. They must go into a connector that is on the bike already. BRP doesn't plug loose terminals into connectors, nor send out loose wires unless they are to be put into existing connectors.

Are you sure the pieces are exactly as they come from BRP in the kit? Have you plugged some wires into some connectors already? If not, then I suspect someone has plugged some wires into some connectors where they don't belong. Is this kit supposed to be for a 2013 RS? The two three pole connector housings are blanks you took off of the connectors to plug the fog lights in, right?

Let me know what all you can tell me. We'll get this figured out somehow.

dicko
04-07-2014, 07:46 PM
The fuse box on my 2012 RS has a 10 amp fuse labelled Fog Lights. There is power running thru it and I don't have fog lights. The wire that comes out of the fuse (green & ?) disappears into some plastic tubing. I was planning on using that connection to run heated grips as I have no plans to run fog lights. Anyone know where I can find the other end of that line?

Rugame2c
04-08-2014, 07:34 AM
The big connector must be 16 pin or more, not 6, right? Tell me exactly what color wires go to each piece, main color + trace color. Something doesn't seem to be matching up on the wiring diagram. It shows two of the wires going to the relay as being on the bike already. I really don't think the four wires with the terminals go into the four pin connector. They must go into a connector that is on the bike already. BRP doesn't plug loose terminals into connectors, nor send out loose wires unless they are to be put into existing
connectors.

**It looks to be a 14 pin but there are only 4 wires inside of it (see pic). I've attached pic to see colors of wires. As far as the 4 wire from switch, I did see a connection just sitting there with nothing hooked into it.**
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/rugame2c/C37617D4-DA9A-4B04-9B16-E474FCCFD5EF.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rugame2c/media/C37617D4-DA9A-4B04-9B16-E474FCCFD5EF.jpg.html)
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/rugame2c/6A815C7C-FE1B-4C8D-A6AB-C9C0EEB0214E.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rugame2c/media/6A815C7C-FE1B-4C8D-A6AB-C9C0EEB0214E.jpg.html)
Are you sure the pieces are exactly as they come from BRP in the kit? Have you plugged some wires into some connectors already? If not, then I suspect someone has plugged some wires into some connectors where they don't belong. Is this kit supposed to be for a 2013 RS? The two three pole connector housings are blanks you took off of the connectors to plug the fog lights in, right?

**All parts are what I received from seller and he states that everything he used was sent. The only connections I made to the bike was plugging in the fogs to the 3pole connections in place. The kit is for the 13 models. I specifically asked before purchasing them. Yes,. The 3 pole connections were removed from the fogs when I hooked them up on the bike.**
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/rugame2c/95C188CE-F6B1-4DE6-9664-BB0E1C29042D.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rugame2c/media/95C188CE-F6B1-4DE6-9664-BB0E1C29042D.jpg.html)

Let me know what all you can tell me. We'll get this figured out somehow.

**I will be taking the panels off today to check for connections that you suggested. I remember seeing a square connection with nothing plugged into it but nothing from the kit fit. I appreciate your help. Maybe I missed something somewhere.**

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-08-2014, 08:15 AM
**I will be taking the panels off today to check for connections that you suggested. I remember seeing a square connection with nothing plugged into it but nothing from the kit fit. I appreciate your help. Maybe I missed something somewhere.**
That helps a lot. It'll be later today before I can take the time to study the wiring diagram, which I'll post some parts for you to see. The big connector, which I'm sure is PIC1 for panel interconnector, has 8 or more wires in it so the switch wires may well plug into it. When you finally find the mating connector on the bike make a note of the colors and positions of all the wires going into it so we can match the wires on this connector.

Yes, the prong on the connector is to anchor the connector to the frame. You should find a blank connector that looks the same as this one. It very well may on the inside of the frame and not obvious when you're looking. Same for the smaller square on except it will probably be not be anchored.

Rugame2c
04-08-2014, 04:22 PM

Well,.. I found the connection on the left side of bike that fits the harness. I plugged into that, ran the switch wires through plug that fits other end of harness. Everything fit like it should but when trying to start bike the fuse blew to my display and no power to it. The bike still started, but fogs didn't work!!! I thought maybe I had the pin wires crossed so I re-wired and tried again. No go for fogs!! See pics below for how I hooked it up.

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/rugame2c/B3C4A193-86B3-4E50-9681-B0AAB875EB9F.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rugame2c/media/B3C4A193-86B3-4E50-9681-B0AAB875EB9F.jpg.html)

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/rugame2c/2F8CCE3A-B19C-430D-8A10-7087C2847A8C.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rugame2c/media/2F8CCE3A-B19C-430D-8A10-7087C2847A8C.jpg.html)

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/rugame2c/80DD2AAD-76E4-4B81-B4A2-684DF2D7987D.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/rugame2c/media/80DD2AAD-76E4-4B81-B4A2-684DF2D7987D.jpg.html)

This has to be the right connection !?!? Maybe now I need to figure out wiring???

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-08-2014, 06:37 PM
OK, I've got it figured out now, at least according to the wiring diagram.

There are only 4 wires going into the 14 pin connector, PIC1. You have it plugged in correctly. The square connector is the fog light switch connector, FGS, so I had it wrong. Do you have the female housing part that the male terminals from the switch go into? You don't show it in the pics or is that it in the last photo? If you haven't figured out how to put that connector together do a search for "deutsch dt connector assembly instructions." The video by LADD looks like it is good. But plug the terminals into the other half first to make sure all is OK before you put them in the connector permanently. They're a pain to get back out if you get them wrong!

The four wires of the switch plug into FGS like this (Switch to Connector): Black to Yellow/Red; Blue to Black; Red to Orange/Red; and Black to Light Green/Gray. The two blacks are interchangeable. There's a black wire from the relay, and the one from the switch. They join together in the harness at a diode which then is connected to PIC1 with the black wire. The diode is under the harness wrap somewhere. I left this detail of the diagram out of the segments below.

Here's some of the wiring diagram, in segments to avoid photo limitations of the site. 1st one is left, or top, the 2nd right, or bottom. The third segment shows the black wire from the diode connecting into PIC1. They are quite a way apart on the wiring diagram even though next to each other in real life.

Does this get you all fixed up, I hope!

8610086101 86103

Rugame2c
04-08-2014, 08:04 PM
OK, I've got it figured out now, at least according to the wiring diagram.

There are only 4 wires going into the 14 pin connector, PIC1. You have it plugged in correctly. The square connector is the fog light switch connector, FGS, so I had it wrong. Do you have the female housing part that the male terminals from the switch go into? You don't show it in the pics or is that it in the last photo? If you haven't figured out how to put that connector together do a search for "deutsch dt connector assembly instructions." The video by LADD looks like it is good. But plug the terminals into the other half first to make sure all is OK before you put them in the connector permanently. They're a pain to get back out if you get them wrong!

The four wires of the switch plug into FGS like this (Switch to Connector): Black to Yellow/Red; Blue to Black; Red to Orange/Red; and Black to Light Green/Gray. The two blacks are interchangeable. There's a black wire from the relay, and the one from the switch. They join together in the harness at a diode which then is connected to PIC1 with the black wire. The diode is under the harness wrap somewhere. I left this detail of the diagram out of the segments below.

Here's some of the wiring diagram, in segments to avoid photo limitations of the site. 1st one is left, or top, the 2nd right, or bottom. The third segment shows the black wire from the diode connecting into PIC1. They are quite a way apart on the wiring diagram even though next to each other in real life.

Does this get you all fixed up, I hope!

8610086101 86103

So it looks like I did have the pins in wrong which is why I blew a fuse?? I'm off tomorrow so I will try the diagram in the morning. I hope it works!! Thanks again , will let you know results.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-08-2014, 09:30 PM
So it looks like I did have the pins in wrong which is why I blew a fuse??
Yep, accidentally connecting power to ground will do it every time! :) That's why every circuit needs to be protected by a fuse! :lecturef_smilie:

I think you've got it made now!

billrob71
04-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Sounds like you may have got it if they still don't work I can pull off the panels and take pics of the connectors and location but there pretty much plug and play once the connector is assembled

I did the BRP HIDS on my 13 that took a little bit of figuring but still wasn't hard

Rugame2c
04-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Yep, accidentally connecting power to ground will do it every time! :) That's why every circuit needs to be protected by a fuse! :lecturef_smilie:

I think you've got it made now!

YEESSS!!!!! They work!!!! :2thumbs:

Thanks for all of your help!! :bowdown:

SPYD1
04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Congrats...

Rugame2c
04-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Sounds like you may have got it if they still don't work I can pull off the panels and take pics of the connectors and location but there pretty much plug and play once the connector is assembled

I did the BRP HIDS on my 13 that took a little bit of figuring but still wasn't hard

Yes,.. Finally!! At least now I know more about the bike and taking it apart. I will most likely upgrade to HIDs soon. For now, are there any upgraded replacement bulbs that will give you better output than stock ones? I also installed the tricled light rings and difference of the two is very noticeable.

billrob71
04-09-2014, 12:05 PM
There are better bulbs you can get , just watch going higher wattage could damage the wiring due to the higher amp draw.

If you wanna do HIDS depending on what you decide I would just go for those . Sylvania silver star bulbs are almost $50 a set the aftermarket HID kits don't cost much more then that. I installed the BRP hid kit and thats the way to go if you wanna swing the extra cost. I got mine from a dealer that was on clearance since BRP say they only fit 2012

I can tell you that they do work on 2013 by simply cutting and soldiering the 2 small jumper headlight harness. If you can soldier the wiring is a piece of cake.

Install is little involved since you replacing both the headlight assemblies and not just adding bulbs and ballasts.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-09-2014, 01:57 PM
YEESSS!!!!! They work!!!! :2thumbs:

Thanks for all of your help!! :bowdown:
:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Glad I could help. I'd hate to think all the time I spent poring over the wiring diagram would have been wasted!!:roflblack: Thanks for getting back with all the pics and such. That really helped me get it figured out!:thumbup:

Rugame2c
04-09-2014, 08:51 PM
There are better bulbs you can get , just watch going higher wattage could damage the wiring due to the higher amp draw.

If you wanna do HIDS depending on what you decide I would just go for those . Sylvania silver star bulbs are almost $50 a set the aftermarket HID kits don't cost much more then that. I installed the BRP hid kit and thats the way to go if you wanna swing the extra cost. I got mine from a dealer that was on clearance since BRP say they only fit 2012

I can tell you that they do work on 2013 by simply cutting and soldiering the 2 small jumper headlight harness. If you can soldier the wiring is a piece of cake.

Install is little involved since you replacing both the headlight assemblies and not just adding bulbs and ballasts.

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Rugame2c
04-09-2014, 08:55 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Glad I could help. I'd hate to think all the time I spent poring over the wiring diagram would have been wasted!!:roflblack: Thanks for getting back with all the pics and such. That really helped me get it figured out!:thumbup:

Just submitting a pic of all of my hard work!! :ohyea:
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/rugame2c/8F09B4E8-3A49-461E-B58D-1BDB083EB3F9.jpg

billrob71
04-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Looks good
Like the hallo LEDs