PDA

View Full Version : SE5 - 4" Risers

fleet
08-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Have there been any problems with the MM 4" risers on the SE5's ? I had seen a few posts back over the last month or so saying that they were checking them on a SE5 and something about an adapter - Possibly from Lamont ?

Please say there's no problems and any insider's please pass on to MM that I'm ready for mine. I ordered about a month ago.

Also has anyone been having a problem getting their highway brackets from Billet ? Ordered at the same time as the risers. After I e-mailed them, I finally got a response 2 weeks ago saying that they were coming out of powder coating and going to be shipped but that was 2 weeks ago and no answer to e-mail 4 days ago.

fleet
08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Update - Risers and brackets have been / are being shipped. MM feels that there shouldn't be any problems with the risers on a SE5 - Will keep ya'll posted.

captainryder
08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
To NM and Lamonster:

I have an SE5 and I'm concerned about installing a riser. I notice that the amount of plastic spacers seperating the throttle controller on the right handlebar and the SE5 Automatic shift on the left handlebars are different sizes. (the left side is only about 1/2 inch and the right side -throttle- side is enough to facilitate the riser or about 1.25 inches. It would seem to me that this would mean that installing the risers, assuming you attach the risers butt up to the metal console piece on the handlebars, would extend the handlebars about 3/4 to 1" because the left side -SE5 autoshifter - would have to be pulled out about 3/4" - 1". In any event, you could not put the risers on, try out the new height before actually cutting off the existing ones.

Magic Man
08-25-2008, 04:10 PM
No, you can still try it out no problem.

The riser kit comes with new full length bar stock for the upper position that will allow for the install of all the controls and spacers as was before.

The plastic spacers that were on the orginal bar will slide right onto the new upper bar.

The spacers have no affect on where the riser sits on the lower bar once removed and switched over to the new upper bar stock. The risers still will sit right next to the end of the silver console as oon any other Spyder.

If your still confused please call us.

MM

fleet
08-27-2008, 04:35 PM
No, you can still try it out no problem.

The riser kit comes with new full length bar stock for the upper position that will allow for the install of all the controls and spacers as was before.

The plastic spacers that were on the orginal bar will slide right onto the new upper bar.

The spacers have no affect on where the riser sits on the lower bar once removed and switched over to the new upper bar stock. The risers still will sit right next to the end of the silver console as oon any other Spyder.

If your still confused please call us.

MM

Mr. Magic - With the SE5 having the spacers - does that affect where ya'll drilled the holes in the new bars to line up with the control unit pins or whatever they are called.

zzneonzz
08-27-2008, 04:58 PM
To NM and Lamonster:

I have an SE5 and I'm concerned about installing a riser. I notice that the amount of plastic spacers seperating the throttle controller on the right handlebar and the SE5 Automatic shift on the left handlebars are different sizes. (the left side is only about 1/2 inch and the right side -throttle- side is enough to facilitate the riser or about 1.25 inches. It would seem to me that this would mean that installing the risers, assuming you attach the risers butt up to the metal console piece on the handlebars, would extend the handlebars about 3/4 to 1" because the left side -SE5 autoshifter - would have to be pulled out about 3/4" - 1". In any event, you could not put the risers on, try out the new height before actually cutting off the existing ones.

I have an SE5 with a 1" riser on it so i know you can put a riser not sure if it will acomodate the 4" risers though. Since I did not do the install of the 1"

fleet
08-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Aren't the factory 1" risers installed below the handlebars and not extended from the existing handlebars up ? My dealer was telling me what a pain it was to remove the entire handlebar assembly and install the 1" extension on the steering column / shaft or whatever below the handlebars.

zzneonzz
08-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Aren't the factory 1" risers installed below the handlebars and not extended from the existing handlebars up ? My dealer was telling me what a pain it was to remove the entire handlebar assembly and install the 1" extension on the steering column / shaft or whatever below the handlebars.

Yes that is correct and i believe its about a 2 hour job.

fleet
08-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Mr. Magic - With the SE5 having the spacers - does that affect where ya'll drilled the holes in the new bars to line up with the control unit pins or whatever they are called. I got my risers from youa few days ago and plan on putting them on this Sat. ...... I agree with you about the spacers just transferring up to the new bar but .... are the holes for the control unit still drilled in the right spot on the new bar ?????

Magic Man
08-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Mr. Magic - With the SE5 having the spacers - does that affect where ya'll drilled the holes in the new bars to line up with the control unit pins or whatever they are called. I got my risers from youa few days ago and plan on putting them on this Sat. ...... I agree with you about the spacers just transferring up to the new bar but .... are the holes for the control unit still drilled in the right spot on the new bar ?????

As we have not seen our SE5 yet, I can't tell you for sure?

However you can always drill a new hole in the bar stock if needed as it will not hurt anything in the bar to do so.

MM

fleet
08-27-2008, 06:11 PM
As we have not seen our SE5 yet, I can't tell you for sure?

However you can always drill a new hole in the bar stock if needed as it will not hurt anything in the bar to do so.

MM

No problem .... I'll let you know how everything goes and if there's anything weird or wonderful.

chaynes68
08-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Wondering if anyone has completed the 4 inch riser install on an SE5. I pulled mine apart and the throttle side looks like it will be fine... a little tight at full lock but acceptable IMO. The Shifter side is a different story....I thought it may be useful to collaborate here for the benefit of all.

There are two electrical cables (paddle shifter and headlights) that are routed between the two pull cables that operate the trunk and seat. It looks to me like these two cables terminate up near the front fuse box in the main harness. I'm thinking that rerouting them so they dont go between the hood/seat cables will get me some more slack. There is also a cable tie up front where these cables terminate which may get me a little more slack. Thoughts anyone?

Worst case I do have a backup plan....

chaynes68
08-28-2008, 08:18 AM
I got up before work to do more work on this (6AM woohoo!).

If you follow the shifter and headlight cables to where they plug into the harness you will find a cable tie that when cut allows a suprising amount of slack. There is another waaay up under the headlights that was loose enough to slide the cables through. The cable tie that was holding things up was located near the yellow wires in this pic:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2805141395_bbbef8d791.jpg?v=0

*** WARNING SE5 OWNERS READ THIS BEFORE INSTALLING RISERS ***

As shipped these risers will not fit on an SE5. I ran out of time this morning to formulate a solution but I wanted to warn everyone and maybe get some ideas from the community. In this pic you can see that the case of the paddle shifter interferes with the riser by 1/16 inch:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2805987160_585f46c038.jpg?v=0

I am thinking that a couple washers installed on the end of the bar will space things out so that the case will rotate into position. I loosened the bar to simulate this solution and the next thing that interferes are the wires from the paddle shifter:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2805135803_a16264836e.jpg?v=0

Its hard to see in this pic but the shifter pod is still quite a bit out of position. If you had to ride like this it would probably work but its not right.

When I get home from work I think I'm gonna try to route the paddle shifter cable through the hole in the riser like the clutch cable on SM5's. At first glance the existing hole is about 3/8 inch too high to accomodate the wires but I may be able to mill a slot for it. This also means that I will need to unplug the shifter from the harness and pull it out of the rats nest.

I am not knocking NMN with this post. They told me that it had never been installed on an SE5 when I placed the order. I am 100% OK with being an early adopter...it can be fun in a twisted sort of way.

Comments, suggestions? I will post as I learn....

fleet
08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Where are the black plastic spacers that were on the original bar ? Can't see them in your picture.

captainryder
08-28-2008, 12:19 PM
HUh! :hun: Huh!
I commented about risers not ging to fit on the SE5 just last week, and I guess I did not make my point clear. It was obvious to me when I visualized the mod. I think the only way this is going to work is to put the spacers back on, and if there is enough bar stock in the mod, you'll have extended handlebars out on both sides about 1/2". Thus your grip will be wider than the original width.

Now do you see what I meant, NM ?

fleet
08-28-2008, 12:31 PM
HUh! :hun: Huh!
I commented about risers not ging to fit on the SE5 just last week, and I guess I did not make my point clear. It was obvious to me when I visualized the mod. I think the only way this is going to work is to put the spacers back on, and if there is enough bar stock in the mod, you'll have extended handlebars out on both sides about 1/2". Thus your grip will be wider than the original width.

Now do you see what I meant, NM ?

Hi Captain !
I'm the one that started this thread - So bear with me.

If you take everything including the designated spacer from original location below and move them to the new bar stock above - Will the control unit / paddle shifter / wire still hit the riser ? In the photos above - if they had put the plastic spacer on the bar and routed the cable through the hole in the riser , would they still have a problem ?

Fleet

fleet
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
If everything fits but it's 1/2" wider on both sides - that's fine with me - Even if only one side is 1/2" longer I'd probably never even notice it if I didn't already know.