PDA

View Full Version : saddle sore 1000

Laila's Dad
04-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Hello all,

I hope that today finds you in good health and spirits. I've been doing a good amount of riding over the past 6 months and I am considering trying to achieve the saddlesore1000 certificate through the iron butt association next month. For those of you that have completed it, what were some of the main issues that you had other than the obvious saddle sore part?

Cruzr Joe
04-02-2014, 03:23 PM
I have not tried that but i will tell you that hydration is very important when you decide to make a long ride.

Cruzr Joe

revjvegas
04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Sleep deprivation was our main issue.

A friend and I did it from Phoenix back to Houston.

You think red bull, coffee and noDoz will help, but it really doesn't.
You've only 24 hours, so you know all your riding is going to be on the superslab, and when it gets to 3 or 4 AM, you really gotta fight off the nods.

At one stop for snack and more red bull, my partner said he was just going to lay back for a minute; he passed out in seconds.

Looking back, I'm glad I did it with a friend so we could support each other along the way, and I will never do it again.

ARtraveler
04-02-2014, 03:40 PM
What they said. A great achievement if you can do it. To my recollection, I believe 650 miles or so was my best day ever on a motorcycle. I was plenty fatigued. Do not think I would be able to do 1000. Drive safe. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-02-2014, 04:42 PM
We did just about 640 miles in 15 hours last Spring...
The other 360; would have been... :shocked:

But it's got me thinking! :D

Laila's Dad
04-02-2014, 05:23 PM
We did just about 6540 miles in 15 hours last Spring...
The other 360; would have been... :shocked:

But it's got me thinkg! :D

6540? That is awesome Bob. Lol

Bob Denman
04-02-2014, 06:13 PM
:opps: Stoopid dang FAT fingers... it was supposed to be 640,,, :gaah:
6540 in 15 hours: 436mph!
I can't imagine doing ANYTHING that fast! :D

Dudley
04-02-2014, 06:33 PM
In 1993 I did 1000 miles 19.5 hours, riding with 2 other bikes. They were both riding 2-up and I was solo. Needing sleep is the hardest part.
In 2012 my wife and I rode 1598 miles in 33 hours, stopping only for gas, eats and short breaks. Several times my wife woke me up, doing 70 mph. Would not recommend that to anyone! We did the first 1005 miles in 15.5 hours.
We like to ride...what else can be said. Whatever you do, DO NOT exceed your limits. It can cause a serious accident or put so much stress on your body, you could end up with non-reversible health issues.
My age...now 70, did the 1598 miles at 68.

Guzzi
04-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Hello all,

I hope that today finds you in good health and spirits. I've been doing a good amount of riding over the past 6 months and I am considering trying to achieve the saddlesore1000 certificate through the iron butt association next month. For those of you that have completed it, what were some of the main issues that you had other than the obvious saddle sore part?
Done the Saddle Sore a couple of times, along with a 50 CTC. Get all the paperwork and read it all several times. Get plenty of rest before leaving. Force yourself to drink plenty of water. Lay off the coffee and caffeine, and eat granola or other lite snacks. No heavy or greasy foods, as they just make you sleepy. With the spyder, you will be making plenty of gas stops, so plan ahead and map out easy on and off stops for gas and relieving yourself. Don't dally at gas stops, keep moving. I usually ran about 75-78 mph on the interstate, with short 10 minute or less, gas stops. At that speed, most troopers will leave you alone. Never saw any speed above 80 mph on any of my runs. Speed doesn't get it. Keeping moving is the secret. Hope this helps
:firstplace:

AZSPYDER
04-02-2014, 07:40 PM
I did it in 1998. 1056 miles in. 18 hours. Started at. 4 am and finished at 10 pm. Hydration was most important with granola bars for snacks. Water, no soda pop , red bull and the like. Perhaps sport drinks like Gatorade. Ting your bladder to the fuel gauge helps cut down on unnecessary stops. Don't dally around, on the event of a minor mechanical problem saved minutes could make the difference in whether you make it or not.

bruiser
04-02-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm thinking about doing the North Carolina Combat Veterans Association Charlie Mike ride this year. It is 1,000 miles in 24 hours and approved by the Iron Butt Association.

bertmc
04-02-2014, 11:56 PM
I've done some high 900 days, and other hi-mile days. Never focused on the 1,000--could have ridden around for a while at my destination to make the 1,000 but that was not the goal.

I prefer to leave real early in the morning so I don't ride as long after dark when tired. The most important thing I do is stop for a nap once or twice, especially before the last several hours of the ride, that way I remain more alert. Some people have trouble doing this, but I'm a good nap-taker--I can lie down beside the bike on the concrete in the corner of a parking lot and sleep for 10 minutes, and wake up refreshed.

bertmc
04-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Forgot one other suggestion--if you nap in the parking lot, put a sign on your chest or on the bike that says: I'm OK, just napping. Otherwise people stop by to help.

NancysToy
04-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Forgot one other suggestion--if you nap in the parking lot, put a sign on your chest or on the bike that says: I'm OK, just napping. Otherwise people stop by to help.

:agree: Been there, done that, spoiled my nap.

warp10
04-03-2014, 07:03 AM
The most I have done on a Spyder is a little over 600 in a day. Spyders need a lot of stops for gas, this can equal lots of wasted time.

The most I have ever ridden was 1250 miles in 20 hrs on a Suzuki Hayabusa from south of Dallas to Cody wy.

The busa gets 60+ mpg on the highway so 250 gas stops were no problem. I did what other suggested, drink a little water at every stop and in between and eat trail-mix. Did this at 63 years old and still riding. :yes:

PS Agree with others on just a little over the speed limit, ran about 6-8 over. The secret is not to waste time at fuel stops.

jtpollock
04-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Good luck. Have you got you applacation I was reading through all the thing they require its a pain but I think the wife and I will complete the Iron Butt on the way home from Spyderfest we just need to get out witness lined up and get our rout maped out sohuld not be to bad Mo to Castle Rock Co is around 750 and our rout last year took us 850 so I know we can work it out we had 5 hr of driving rain to start the ride last year. I'm ready :clap::clap: jtpollock

Bob Denman
04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Dan (Wiredux) is looking to add this feat to his accomplishments... :clap: :bowdown:

BikerDoc
04-15-2014, 11:45 AM
I have done the 1000 miles in 24 hrs on both my 2010 and 2012 spyders by riding 700 to 800 miles
in 12 to 14 hr, then sleeping for 4 hrs then riding the rest. It wasn't that bad.
Recently I have had two day trips with the 2014 Spyder of 700 miles each in 12 hrs and wasn't really tired at that point. I think the 14 comfort really makes it easier....

Bob Denman
04-15-2014, 11:51 AM
I would thinjk so too! :2thumbs:
The lower rpm levels, and overall smoothness of these bikes; makes for a less-tiring ride! :thumbup:

PW2013STL
04-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Never made the 1000 on any bike. Came close once when I was at 910 I was going to just extend tne ride another 90 miles until I hit a bad storm with hail. At that point I said the :cus: with it and drove home. I did not start out to do that so it would have been only for my personal reason. I just may have to try it sometime :rolleyes: