PDA

View Full Version : How many miles?

greatrides
03-30-2014, 02:34 PM
85613How many miles does the drive belt go before it needs replaced? I have just over 25,000 miles on mine and it does not look very good at all. I will try to post a pic later today.

NancysToy
03-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Some have gone more than 100,000 miles. Damage is usually a result of poor storage (sun), chemical exposure, improper alignment/adjustment, a loose front sprocket, or damage from road debris.

Silvervette05
03-30-2014, 03:30 PM
What he said:agree:

Bob Denman
03-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Throw another, ":agree:" on the pile! ;)
If you don't kill them; they last a real long time! :thumbup:

SPYD3R
03-30-2014, 05:07 PM
38,000 and still look'n good..... :bowdown:

ARtraveler
03-30-2014, 05:09 PM
I have replaced two drive belts due to pre-mature rock damage. Never worn a belt out from natural causes.

greatrides
03-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Phone will not let me upload pic. Belt is just done a lot of space in between the teeth and looks like a lot of dust on rear wheel. The dealer just adjusted the belt 4000 miles ago and it did not look bad at all then. The last time they adjusted it would almost walk off the rear sprocket!

greatrides
03-30-2014, 06:38 PM

NancysToy
03-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Phone will not let me upload pic. Belt is just done a lot of space in between the teeth and looks like a lot of dust on rear wheel. The dealer just adjusted the belt 4000 miles ago and it did not look bad at all then. The last time they adjusted it would almost walk off the rear sprocket!

Sounds to me like your front sprocket and/or driveshaft is shot. This is partially caused by an over-tensioned belt. You might also have bad rear wheel or rear wheel sprocket bearings, but I'm betting on the drive pulley. Your tech should have caught this in either case. The inability to adjust the belt tracking or to maintain proper adjustment is the hall mark of these problems. One other possibility would be a hack job of adjustment, where the axle bolt was not torqued or the adjuster blocks were not firmly against the swingarm when adjusted.

greatrides
03-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Sounds to me like your front sprocket and/or driveshaft is shot. This is partially caused by an over-tensioned belt. You might also have bad rear wheel or rear wheel sprocket bearings, but I'm betting on the drive pulley. Your tech should have caught this in either case. The inability to adjust the belt tracking or to maintain proper adjustment is the hall mark of these problems. One other possibility would be a hack job of adjustment, where the axle bolt was not torqued or the adjuster blocks were not firmly against the swingarm when adjusted.

Funny you say that....the last week when backing up you hear a noise coming from the front sprocket! Love my spyder and I hate my dealer....looks like I will call brp and see what is under warranty if any of it! How do you check the front sprocket?

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-30-2014, 07:51 PM

IMHO....The answer may be what the tech at your dealer did or didn't do.......since you stated it looked OK ...BEFORE they fixed it :yikes: :gaah: Mike :thumbup:...I feel your pain...............welcome to the dealer from HELL club

greatrides
03-30-2014, 07:59 PM
IMHO....The answer may be what the tech at your dealer did or didn't do.......since you stated it looked OK ...BEFORE they fixed it :yikes: :gaah: Mike :thumbup:...I feel your pain...............welcome to the dealer from HELL club

Thanks for the welcome.....:thumbup: :roflblack:

NancysToy
03-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Funny you say that....the last week when backing up you hear a noise coming from the front sprocket! Love my spyder and I hate my dealer....looks like I will call brp and see what is under warranty if any of it! How do you check the front sprocket?

The best way is to remove the belt and physically check for wobble/fit. You may be able to do it with the belt in place by removing the securing bolt and looking for signs of a bad fit on the shaft splines, including rust buildup. It requires removing the left side bodywork to access the drive sprocket. A belt that cannot be brought into alignment and always runs outside is usually a good indication. Sorry your dealer is a dud. This would be a good job for a BRP tech if you are not mechanically inclined.

greatrides
03-30-2014, 09:39 PM
The best way is to remove the belt and physically check for wobble/fit. You may be able to do it with the belt in place by removing the securing bolt and looking for signs of a bad fit on the shaft splines, including rust buildup. It requires removing the left side bodywork to access the drive sprocket. A belt that cannot be brought into alignment and always runs outside is usually a good indication. Sorry your dealer is a dud. This would be a good job for a BRP tech if you are not mechanically inclined.
Dud is what I would call it....I do better work but I did not want any warranty issues so we will see what will happen with brp.:helpsmilie:

greatrides
03-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Made a call to brp and they gave me a case number. Called a different dealer and I'm taking it in Monday I will post what they tell me.

Bob Denman
03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Good Luck! Here's to hoping for a successful conclusion to this nightmare for you! :shocked: :cheers:

greatrides
04-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Good Luck! Here's to hoping for a successful conclusion to this nightmare for you! :shocked: :cheers:
Dropped it off at a different dealer same owner. I could not believe the difference in the level of care there! A+ so far! The guy who runs it came out to the show room to get my story and he could not believe how I was treated At the other shop! They say they will call me tomorrow and let me know what's up with it. He said the parts don't lie and it is in real bad shape!:gaah:

greatrides
04-02-2014, 08:03 PM
No news from dealer today....I pass it on the way to work so I will stop in and see what's up!

greatrides
04-04-2014, 07:21 PM
The dealer said that they don't know why my belt came apart but thus s what they are doing. new belt new rear sprocket new rear bearings and seals. They say I will get it back next week so.....I can't wait to get it back and blast down a back road. :yes::ohyea::ohyea:

greatrides
04-08-2014, 08:03 PM
No spyder yet.....weather is great and the sun is out and I'm going nuts. I hope to hear news tomorrow. ..I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to see what's going on.....I need a Ryde so bad!

greatrides
04-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Still no spyder....dealer still does not have all the parts to fix it....they are saying the 21 it will be done. I get back in town the 19 so I hope they are right. Weather is good and I have some miles to make up!

greatrides
04-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Still no spyder but they told me Monday that it should be done Wednesday or Thursday. ....it's been to long not to be on my spyder so let's hope they get it done and its right this time! I need to make up some miles on it..:yes::yes:

greatrides
04-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Still no spyder.....they just called and told me it will not be done today and the scary thing is they have not even started it!:banghead::banghead: the weather is very nice and a Ryde would be great. So this is the second dealer it's been too in 2500 miles and so far same results! It's just crazy the lack of customer service Out there right now. So new time of delivery is it will be done when it's done!

MrBlonde
04-24-2014, 04:27 PM
That would be doing my head right in :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greatrides
04-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Picked up my spyder today at 5 and got it home the 30 miles with no issues At all. I hope this time they finally got it right,they still can not tell me why it happened but that's ok I'm back on the road!:yes:

SPYD1
04-25-2014, 07:57 PM
:congrats:

greatrides
04-25-2014, 08:18 PM
:congrats:

So now it's back the big question is this.....I'm off tomorrow so we're do I Ryde too! Time for some miles and smiles!!!!

PW2013STL
04-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Glad to hear you ended up with positive results :clap:

I hope you had a fantastic ride :ohyea:

greatrides
04-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Glad to hear you ended up with positive results :clap:

I hope you had a fantastic ride :ohyea:

The spyder did good so far. I've put 130 miles on it and another 80 miles tomorrow so I should be able to see if the work is right. The ride in south east Ohio was great and missed it tons! !!