PDA

View Full Version : Clutch failing?

dvmdf
03-30-2014, 09:08 AM
My 2008 gs se5 has been acting strange. It seems to have a "hick up" when it starts moving. I put it on the 1st gear, hear a normal clunk, then I give it some gas and before it starts moving there is another clunk and slight jolt. It only happens when the bike is cold and only when it starts moving. The rest of the shifting is fine and this goes away once the bike reaches normal operating temp. It stalled once on me when I started riding before the temp got to one bar. The bike is all stock, no mods, 15,000 miles, oil level is ok, new plugs and wires. I don't trust the local dealer. Any ideas?
Thank you for your time.

Bob Denman
03-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Could the clutch plates just be sticking a bit?
If they were shot; you'd probably notice the revs climbing, and the bike not gathering up any speed in the process. :shocked:

Jeriatric
03-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Oil type and weight?

Sounds like it's not fully engageing first gear. Then with throttle input it's getting enough oil pressure boost to fully engage the gear.

Try letting it warm up until the Rad fan kicks on. My guess is it will not repeat what it is currently doing.

The oil question is still relevant however.

Bob Denman
03-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Jer,
GOOD point! :clap: :thumbup:

dvmdf
03-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Oil type and weight?

Sounds like it's not fully engageing first gear. Then with throttle input it's getting enough oil pressure boost to fully engage the gear.

Try letting it warm up until the Rad fan kicks on. My guess is it will not repeat what it is currently doing.

The oil question is still relevant however.
it's standard recommended BRP oil. If the plates are sticking do I need to have it repaired?

Bob Denman
03-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Generally speaking; a good oil change will set things right. :thumbup:
If the bike isn't fully engaging first gear when you stab the lever... try "doubler-tapping" on it, and see if that makes a difference.
Good Luck!

Jeriatric
03-30-2014, 10:01 AM
it's standard recommended BRP oil. If the plates are sticking do I need to have it repaired?

Try letting it fully warm up before putting it in gear. Then, if the problem continues. See your dealer. It could be a 0 ring problem in the shift module or a clutch problem.

Gordy
03-30-2014, 10:27 AM
check front pulley for being loose

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Quite awhile ago BRP came out with an EXTENDED OIL nozzle (?) , That got the oil further into ( somewhere ) in the clutch.......However you could only get this part if bought the entire repair kit. I'm sure someone here will know what I'm referring to and chime in with all the correct info............SCOTTY ? ? ?..........Mike

dvmdf
03-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Generally speaking; a good oil change will set things right. :thumbup:
If the bike isn't fully engaging first gear when you stab the lever... try "doubler-tapping" on it, and see if that makes a difference.
Good Luck!
Oil change was just done I will try double tapping and will check the front pulley.
Thank you everybody for chiming in