PDA

View Full Version : Why would Big Red 1 do this?

Mr. White
03-29-2014, 09:42 PM
I went on a 200 mile ride and on the last 80 miles my limp mode came on saying my DPS needed attention. It reduced my rpms and I "limped home" at 55 mph. I stopped for gas two miles from my home and when I started him up, no limp mode or notice. I rode home but did not get up to 55 as I was now on neighborhood streets. I plan to ride tomorrow and bring it up to crusing speed....70-72 and see how it goes. I was just wondering how it cleared itself when I stopped. Thanks.

:spyder2:

SNOOPY
03-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Were you drifting through corners when it went off? roflmao

I think it would go off if something in the steering sensors hit a limit, like an extremely hard turn...or the sensor being off from an alignment change? Maybe a hard pothole?

billybovine
03-29-2014, 09:50 PM
I went on a 200 mile ride and on the last 80 miles my limp mode came on saying my DPS needed attention. It reduced my rpms and I "limped home" at 55 mph. I stopped for gas two miles from my home and when I started him up, no limp mode or notice. I rode home but did not get up to 55 as I was now on neighborhood streets. I plan to ride tomorrow and bring it up to crusing speed....70-72 and see how it goes. I was just wondering how it cleared itself when I stopped. Thanks.

Limp mode is a side effect of the fault detected. Some faults clear right away some are cleared after the key is turned off wait a minute and turned back on, as long as the condition that caused the fault is no longer there. Because the DPS unit takes so much power it could be a loose connection to the battery could cause it.

ulflyer
03-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Its telling you its time for a '14. ;)

Bob Denman
03-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Hi George,
Was Punkin' playing around with the wiring again? :D
Seriously; something like a loose connection, or even a bunch of "crud" getting jammed in and around a sensor could do it... :shocked:

Dragonrider
03-30-2014, 09:48 AM
You get the same electronics in a 2014.

Big Red probably just has a loose ground - coupled with some corrosion. You live in a high humidity area - it's actually harder on your toys than it in here in the NorthWet... plus, Big Red is not a Honda...

Jester
03-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Big Red probably just has a loose ground - coupled with some corrosion. You live in a high humidity area - it's actually harder on your toys than it in here in the NorthWet... plus, Big Red is not a Honda...
I would not call the Boerne/San Antone area a high humidity area. Southwest Mississippi might be!

gypsy_100
03-30-2014, 01:04 PM

Happened to me once with about 20K on the RT. Nothing unusual going on, happened on a road I've ridden a hundred times, etc. I wrote down the codes, shut it off; it cleared itself. I now have over 30K on the bike and it hasn't happened again. Stuff happens.

Cruzr Joe
03-30-2014, 01:48 PM

Exactly, last Honda that i seen do that had to be trailered, it don't have a limp mode, good thing you were on a Spyder. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

flaggerphil
03-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Could you have had your foot on the brake without noticing it? Doesn't take much.

srwilli
03-30-2014, 04:16 PM
This has happened to me twice since my laser alignment. Each time I stopped, turned off the bike, started back up problem cleared. It did not put me in limp mode. Planning on having it checked during SpyderFest..

ARtraveler
03-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Have also had it happen a couple times. Upon re-start the problem went away. I attribute it to the fact that sometimes the computer is showing us who is really in charge.

If the situation persists, then I would recommend having the dealer check out Big Red 1.

The situation is one that always makes me drive a little scared when out in the middle of nowhere. No one likes to see that dreaded orange screen.

Dragonrider
03-30-2014, 10:23 PM
I stand corrected?? My Texas expertise is limited to Houston, Galveston, Dallas, and Austin....

SpyderAnn01
03-30-2014, 11:19 PM
You can shut the Spyder off and turn it back on while riding and clear limp mode. Just be sure to turn the key off and on - it doesn't work if you hit the kill switch.

gypsy_100
03-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Could you have had your foot on the brake without noticing it? Doesn't take much.

The dragging brake syndrome would activate brake codes and the orange screen, not a DPS warning and the orange screen. When mine occurred I got a very clear "check DPS" warning along with the orange screen. When I pulled the codes, it confirmed that all the codes had to do with the DPS and not the brakes. From the first post I think the OP got the DPS warnings as well.

Bob Denman
03-31-2014, 01:56 PM
George is a pretty-experienced dude... I don't think that you catch him laying a foot on the brake pedal. :thumbup:

Mr. White
04-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I will try to remember them and answer as many as I can. I was not riding the brake, did that two years ago and learned not to... Got yellow screen and it said "check DPS". We had 12% humidity two days ago...only have high humidity when we get a southwest wind from the gulf, which is 160 miles from Boerne. I will take BR1 out today for a ride and see if the problem cleared....if not, my new Spyder dealer is two miles from me....and a good one. I was running on a smooth highway with gentle curves at 40-70mph....no hard turns. My Gold Wing was purchased on 11-1-01 and has never been back to the shop....other than the 600 miles "check up and oil change". The dealer did two things....changed the oil/filter and left a side panel off which I noticed before I left the dealers parking lot....never been back!

I have a friend who has a auto lift and modified it for a three wheeler. He changes my oil/filter for $12 (I furnish the oil and filter). He greases the spline on the Wing at the same time. His wife makes coffee and gives me one or two pieces of cake while I sit and watch him work in his beautiful shop. He has two Wings (Motor Trike and CSC) so he knows trikes....

2014 Spyder?? I am not sure I can swing the money for a '14. Our financial situation is picking up now that the wife was promoted to third shift supervisor at the saw mill. If she works hard she may be up to the recent minimum wage proposal. I do note that with spring coming the weeds are starting to grow. We have 7.5 acres, but the wife only mows about four....the rest is woods where I have my still.

Our motorhome is getting a little raggy so I am shopping for a new diesel. On my way to the RV dealer, I will stop by Wal Mart and see if they have anything open on the second shift. On second shift, she will still be able to mow during the daylight hours.....more later

Bob Denman
04-02-2014, 01:07 PM
:D :roflblack: :thumbup:
I love your reports; keep them coming! :clap:

SpyderAnn01
04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
:roflblack: