PDA

View Full Version : OEM Trailer Hitch with 4 Pin Square Plug to after market trailer with 4 pin flat plug

markhexamer
03-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Hello and thank you in advanced for any help you post.
I have recently purchased a OEM Trailer Hitch and Wiring with the 4 Pin Square Plug. I have an aftermarket 4 pin flat plug trailer. I am getting confused trying to find a way to convert the can-am 4 pin square to work on a 4 plug flat aftermarket trailer.
I just can't put a 4-pin square plug in and wire it to the aftermarket trailer with a flat 4-pin adapter. The lighting harness on the spyder is wired for individual lights on their trailer. I just can't use a 4-pin square plug to run the lights. I tried that..When turning on left signal right light came on...when running lights on left light was on..they just don't match up one for one... brake light t85557

bamaspyder1
03-29-2014, 01:15 PM
I just put a square 4 on my trailer works great...

bill51
03-29-2014, 01:32 PM
:agree: bought my at napa.

Copperman
03-29-2014, 02:31 PM
I have recently purchased a OEM Trailer Hitch and Wiring with the 4 Pin Square Plug. I have an aftermarket 4 pin flat plug trailer. I am getting confused trying to find a way to convert the can-am 4 pin square to work on a 4 plug flat aftermarket trailer.85557

was make a jumper with a square 4 pin on one end and a flat 4 pin on the other. This way the trailer can be pulled with any other (normal) flat 4 pin vehicle. It cost less than $10.00. I leave it in the trailer when not in use.

bassman
03-29-2014, 04:42 PM
I have recently purchased a OEM Trailer Hitch and Wiring with the 4 Pin Square Plug. I have an aftermarket 4 pin flat plug trailer. I am getting confused trying to find a way to convert the can-am 4 pin square to work on a 4 plug flat aftermarket trailer.85557

When my dealer put my hitch on I asked the tech to put a flat 4 plug on the Spyder. He used the BRP plug and play wiring module which comes with the hitch. Works great. Just had to cut the square one off and splice the flat 4 on with extra wire as the square 4 ends right under the saddlebag.

NancysToy
03-29-2014, 05:54 PM
BRPs hitch does use a standard wiring pattern and colors. Apparently your trailer does not. The best answer in that case is to purchase a square-4 pigtail and a flat-4 pigtail and make your own adapter. Swap the wires around until everything works correctly, then solder and heat-shrink the wires, or use waterproof butt connectors to make the connection permanent. You could also just replace the existing flat-4 with a square-4 or splice in a sqauare-4 to the trailer harness...after you verify what wire and plug connector does what using an ohmmeter or a test light. If you didn't have pattern problems, simply splitting the flat-4 down the middle with an X-acto knife allows the halves to be connected side-by-side in a square-4 and in line with a flat-4.

bodymanpainter
03-29-2014, 06:04 PM
I found this on e-bay part # 11147975 4-pole square connector set. It is a perfect match
to my BRP wiring harness on my 2014 RTS. Made by Hopkins Manufacturing Corporation.
$13.78 with free shipping.
Toby

markhexamer
03-29-2014, 06:34 PM
BRPs hitch does use a standard wiring pattern and colors. Apparently your trailer does not. The best answer in that case is to purchase a square-4 pigtail and a flat-4 pigtail and make your own adapter. Swap the wires around until everything works correctly, then solder and heat-shrink the wires, or use waterproof butt connectors to make the connection permanent. You could also just replace the existing flat-4 with a square-4 or splice in a sqauare-4 to the trailer harness...after you verify what wire and plug connector does what using an ohmmeter or a test light. If you didn't have pattern problems, simply splitting the flat-4 down the middle with an X-acto knife allows the halves to be connected side-by-side in a square-4 and in line with a flat-4.

I tried the splicing and different combinations but everything was half ass backwards..if I turned on the left signal the right turn signal would come on..only one tail light would come one when bike was running...the wiring only one light of each function would work and it was backwards...

markhexamer
03-29-2014, 06:38 PM
I found this on e-bay part # 11147975 4-pole square connector set. It is a perfect match
to my BRP wiring harness on my 2014 RTS. Made by Hopkins Manufacturing Corporation.
$13.78 with free shipping.
Toby

did u use it on an aftermarket flat 4pin trailer..which doesn't have separate turns, breaks and running lights? I made on and it didn't work

NancysToy
03-29-2014, 06:49 PM
I tried the splicing and different combinations but everything was half ass backwards..if I turned on the left signal the right turn signal would come on..only one tail light would come one when bike was running...the wiring only one light of each function would work and it was backwards...
You need someone familiar with trailer wiring to help you. The backwards stuff is merely the wrong wires hooked up (reversed functions), swap the wires and it should be right. Only one running light sounds like you blew the other bulb. If not, one wire has become disconnected within the trailer. If the trailer isn't right, all the wishing in the world won't make it work. Get the trailer sorted out, then test each function one by one and hook it up. Use a jumper wire or multimeter for best testing results, but a test light will work on the Spyder, and on the trailer with a battery and a little ingenuity. Don't trust the wire colors, one side or the other may not follow the standard code.