PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago

bruiser
03-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Today. It was unusually hot for a March day. I had the day off. A friend I hadn't seen in 12 years was coming down to the base on business and I was going to have him out to the house for dinner. After dinner, we were hashing over old times. A storm hit about 7:30 and the lights went out. We went outside to check things out and it was eerily quiet. At 8:15 my emergency pager (volunteer firefighter/EMT) went off and kept toning. This could only be a mass disaster. I heard our chief ask what was going on. Central said a tornado had torn through the south end of the county. 12 of 22 county departments were called out to assist. I took Ed back to the base. On the way my radio was jumping. I couldn't get a call in. We saw downed trees and branches. The base was on emergency status. I got to the fire station, called in and took the brush truck to the scene. This was the first time many of us had been involved in a disaster of this nature. I got clearance from my boss on base and I spent the next two days sifting through rubble and being dispatched to several sites around two counties. Daylight and the full magnitude of the damage was shocking. There was an outbreak of 22 tornadoes that night. 57 dead. 16 dead in a four county line that included our county. It was the worst outbreak in 100 years. The tornado was an F4, a mile wide. It skipped across 17 counties. Two of our firefighters were seriously injured in an auto accident. A man ran a red light and broadsided our tanker pinning the driver in the cab. The man in the car was driving on a suspended license and under the influence.

The takeaway. New notification procedures by the NWS were implemented. The volunteer Sky Warn network was set up with trained spotters on the ground reporting direct to the NWS. Kris and I are trained spotters. New response procedures, search training, mutual aid and radio procedures were put in place for the volunteer fire departments and emergency agencies.

You see it on tv but it's nothing like real time.

Cruzr Joe
03-28-2014, 09:04 PM
It is very hard to understand how much damage a twister can cause until you have actually lived through one. Hopefully most of you will never have that experience.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Wasn't it the Spring of 1974, that some real serious storms busted up Ohio? :dontknow:

ARtraveler
03-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Wasn't it the Spring of 1974, that some real serious storms busted up Ohio? :dontknow:

Sounds about right. Xenia, Ohio. Near Wright Patterson AFB.

ARtraveler
03-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Tornadoes are very scary things. Experienced a few when I lived in Madison, WI and FT. Wayne, IN. The South Bend/FT Wayne area was a tornado alley corridor.

I keep thinking each summer that Alaska is going to get added to the list of places where they happen--due to the competing hot/cold fronts in the summer. I did not see lightning/thunderstorms the first three years here. Now they are regular in the interior and cause a lot of forest fires.

bruiser
03-29-2014, 02:33 PM
I had just returned to Dover AFB from Wright Patterson the day before those storms hit Xenia. Tornadoes seem to be becoming more prevalent. Look at the two that touched down in Sacramento and Roseville California the other day.

SNOOPY
03-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Just keep them away from here! :yikes:

bruiser
03-29-2014, 04:32 PM
I remember the one that went through Hampton Roads a few years ago. In fact, there were several that day in Virginia and Maryland.

jimcrom
03-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I have always been wondering where VB is?

Just keep them away from here! :yikes:

Flanker
03-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Seen 'em up close twice, but lucked out that both fell apart before touching ground! Hope they were my last two!!