PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Help

drifter
08-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Looking at the BRP helmets and had a couple questions.
1. Is the sizing chart on the http://spyder.brp.com/ site accurate? According to the site chart I wear a large but when I actually try on a helmet XL usually fits the best.
2. I知 worried that I値l buy the full-face helmet and it will be too hot. How well is it ventilated? I live in Charleston, SC and it痴 very hot and sticky during the summer months. Will the color really matter? I知 looking at the black helmet.
3. In general, is an open face helmet more comfortable then a closed faced helmet? Seems like there would be better visibility and cooler with the open face.
Thanks

Greg H.
08-22-2008, 08:54 AM
welcome
I think the absolute best way to buy a helmet is to try them on. Ask for advice from someone in the store that is qualified to assist. You want it snug since they loosen over time.

So, for my Wife and I; we went into a shop that had a great selection, and received good assistance, as well. We opted for the HJC Sy-Max II Modular Helmets. Not cheap. But, not the most expensive out there, either. Modular helmets offer full face protection, with the benefit of being able to pop the front open for easier access for glasses (I wear glasses), and to be able to walk into a store, or whatever, while still wearing your helmet.
The Sy-Max II also offers good ventilation. And, they have a very neat drop down sunshade.

Check out the HJC Sy-Max II Modular here..
http://www.hjchelmets.com/

There are a lot of choices out there. So, it's good to shop, and buy what suits you best.

Also; The BRP Helmets are nice. They are made by Scorpion. :)

And, check Helmet Harbor for Helmet reviews.... (great source)
http://www.helmetharbor.com/

zzneonzz
08-22-2008, 11:01 AM
1. Is the sizing chart on the http://spyder.brp.com/ site accurate? According to the site chart I wear a large but when I actually try on a helmet XL usually fits the best.
2. I知 worried that I値l buy the full-face helmet and it will be too hot. How well is it ventilated? I live in Charleston, SC and it痴 very hot and sticky during the summer months. Will the color really matter? I知 looking at the black helmet.
3. In general, is an open face helmet more comfortable then a closed faced helmet? Seems like there would be better visibility and cooler with the open face.
Thanks

1. I would never go by a sizing chart i would recomend trying different models/styles on before you buy one. The brp helmets if i'm not mistaken are actually Scorpion helmets one is the 700 and the other is the 1000 (Flip down sun visor) I have a fulmar Modular and a Scorpion 400 and i prefer the Scorpion 400 as it fits better even though they are both teh same size the fulmar seems to move around a bit were teh scorpion doesn't. So try on many helmets and make sure its snug from the start as they will loosen up over time.

2. I'm in Memphis were it is very hot and humid during the summer months. The full face helmets are vented fairly nicely depending on which one you get. I usually leave the shield up when driving at 50mph or less (I also wear glasses/sunglass) and only close it at high speeds were the vents are usually suffeciant. I will say that a Modular is nice for long lights/Trains as you can flip the entire front of it up for more air flow while stopped. And as for color it only matters what you like and most of important is that it fits.

3. I can't give you any imput on this as i do not use an open face helmet. My personal prefrence is Safety first then comfort. That is why i go with the full face to protect not only my head but my face as well. Plus bugs hurt when they hit your skin at 70mph lol.

bjt
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM

The sizing chart should only be considered to get you in the ballpark for trying on helmets.

Almost every helmet manufacturer makes their helmets in one of three shapes. Oval, Modified Oval and Round. An incorrect match of the helmet shape to your head shape could be why the size chart and your trial fit aren't jiving. Most of the helmets sold in the U.S. are the modified oval shape as most of the U.S. population has that head shape. I think the next most common helmet shape is the round. Also, each manufacturer has a different design for the padding in the helmet and one helmet's large may be a little snugger in a certain area than another helmet.

Follow Greg H.'s advice and check out the Helmet Harbor and watch some of their video reviews of helmets. You'll get a lot of good information about warmth, cooling, venting, noise levels, fit, safety, etc.

Finally, I would always go to a store and try on a helmet and ask a salesperson to help you test a helmet for proper fit. They are supposed to be snug and the salesperson will have you put the helmet on your head and then do a few checks to see that it is fitting snug enough. A looser fitting helmet may seem more comfortable but it might not protect you when you really need it.

drifter
08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info dudes...will probably skip the BRP helmets online and get fitted for one at a local place...:thumbup:

zzneonzz
08-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the info dudes...will probably skip the BRP helmets online and get fitted for one at a local place...:thumbup:

You can always get fitted at a local shop then purchase the same helmet online to save a few bucks...Unless your like me and don't mind paying the little bit extra for the good customer service.

Greg H.
08-22-2008, 03:38 PM
You can always get fitted at a local shop then purchase the same helmet online to save a few bucks...Unless your like me and don't mind paying the little bit extra for the good customer service.

I paid full retail for both of ours (mine isn't here yet - of course, neither is my Spyder :shocked: :yikes:roflmao )..... Anyway; like zzneonzz, to me the great customer is worth it. Sure! If I would have ordered them online, I might have save $50+. I guess, I'm just not one to go to a shop use up their valuble time, and then run home and order online. Not to mention, when ordering something like helmets online, you really have no idea how they have been handled, etc,,,.

Questions
08-22-2008, 04:00 PM
The BRP do run a little tight - I take large in HJC (The best standard for sizing imho) and need XL in Scorpion - which equates to BRP. They offer a good fit downside is they weigh a little more than most in their price range.

Black is the most popular color, but having domne a lot of outdoor shows, you cannot even touch a black helmet that has been sitting in the sun for a while, White is the coolest and everything in between will be cooler or hotter depending on how dark they are.

The best venting helmet in my opinion is the new Bell Star www.thebellstar.com (http://www.thebellstar.com) They have spent almost 4 years developing a helmet to rival Arai and Shoei but at a more affordable price. I can actually feel the wind move my hair and the shield has a position to open the shield about 1/4 inch to allow more air to flow. It is not the quietest helmet, but for warm areas, there is nothing that comes close.

I have a few display models at good prices.

Open face will be cooler, but if you have seen many full face helmets that have been in an accident, the side of the chin area is nearly always scuffed up...

The other option is to go with something like an HJC Carbon and add the full shield option. I used one of these on a recent trip to AZ and it worked well, was light so I didn't get neck ache and the shield stopped any bugs/stones etc and protected my face from the 117 + temperatures!

Modulars give the best of both helmets however they are noisier and heavier, but the compromise has made them the best selling type of helmets for us.

BAZMAN
08-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I HAVE THE SHOEI TZR. I PICKED THIS HELMET BECAUSE ACCORDING TO SHOEI IT IS ONE OF THEIR MOST QUIET HELMETS. I ALSO HAVE A MODULAR HELMET BUT DON'T USE IT MUCH BECAUSE IT IS HEAVY 4.2LBS [I HAVE WHIPLASH] AND IT IS NOISER THAN A FULL FACE HELMET. THE MODULAR IS A GOOD CHOICE FOR SHORT TRIPS AROUND TOWN. THE FULL FACE IS BETTER FOR LONGER TRIPS. I AM NOT IN FAVOR OF OPEN OR SHORTY HELMETS, BECAUSE YOU EAT SMELL AND SEE WITH THOSE PARTS OF YOUR HEAD. ALSO YOU SHOULD TRY ON HELMETS AT A DEALER AND IF HE WON'T GIVE YOU A SMALL DISCOUNT, THE DEALER I WENT TO DID NOT. YOU CAN BUY IT ON LINE.

jedd
08-22-2008, 10:30 PM
The Can Am melmet GSX the most expensive like $399 is awesome my wife loves it she wears med normally but needed large in that helmet. I would have one but bomby decided not to make XXXL in this so I am stuck with modular. I want a superlite well vented XXXL helmet any help for me? Somethimg comparable to that gsx of:bowdown: can ams:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

zzneonzz
08-22-2008, 10:33 PM
The Can Am melmet GSX the most expensive like $399 is awesome my wife loves it she wears med normally but needed large in that helmet. I would have one but bomby decided not to make XXXL in this so I am stuck with modular. I want a superlite well vented XXXL helmet any help for me? Somethimg comparable to that gsx of:bowdown: can ams:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

If you like the GSX look into the scorpion 1000 and see if they have it in your size. Its the exact same helmet.

jedd
08-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks which brand is scorpion

jedd
08-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Found it on Google no XXXL period on that helmet--Thanks for the try Neon

jedd
08-22-2008, 10:53 PM
OK Shoei RF 1000 or ICON any have these they are in XXXL and look OK I want plenty of airflow. thanks.

zzneonzz
08-22-2008, 11:01 PM
I hear the Shoei RF 1000 is a great helmet. I tried one on and loved it was very light and had a ton of vents and i hear it is the quietest helmet on the market. Was just a bit pricey for my budget at the time so I went with the Scorpion EXO 400

sleepman
08-23-2008, 05:46 AM
I use the RF1000 and I would say that it is the quietest helmet I've ever worn. The vent system is good but you're never going to find a full face that keeps you cool, it's a trade of for the protection. With that being said I live in Florida and have no problem in the heat and humidity unless I'm sitting still and then it gets hot. If you want something that will give you some noticeable air movement you should look at the AFX Lightforce helmet. It has 2 fans in the chin piece that help with air movement, you can switch the fans on and off.

bjt
08-23-2008, 07:16 AM
I hear the Shoei RF 1000 is a great helmet. I tried one on and loved it was very light and had a ton of vents and i hear it is the quietest helmet on the market. Was just a bit pricey for my budget at the time so I went with the Scorpion EXO 400

+1 for the Shoei. I did the exact same thing when I got my helmet. Shoei was very nice but more expensive than the Scorpion EXO 400 than I ended up getting. I have been recently thinking of getting a new helmet and the Shoei RF 1000 is definitely in the running again.

jedd
08-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone, I will order Shoei RF 1000 thanks for all the help:chat: this forum has been awesome I'm new to cycling and all have been helpfull.

IdleUp
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Before you buy a helmet you might want to check this out we have 4 of these now and you can find them for a bit over $100

Here's video:

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.