PDA

View Full Version : Computer question since I have no grandchildren...

stillriding
03-28-2014, 05:13 AM
Microsoft is withdrawing all support for Windows XP on April 8th and that will affect me big time. I'd welcome suggestions as to what to do with this old desk top.

Frank G
03-28-2014, 05:20 AM
Why do you need support (from Microsoft) after all these years? Keep using it tell it dies.

RodMyers
03-28-2014, 06:24 AM
Microsoft is withdrawing all support for Windows XP on April 8th and that will affect me big time. I'd welcome suggestions as to what to do with this old desk top.

Linuxmint.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bcoulter19
03-28-2014, 06:36 AM
I agree with Frank G it will still work. You just won't be able to call microsoft and get help if you have a problem. do you do that now? if not why worry?

just my 2 cents.

Bill

retread
03-28-2014, 06:40 AM
I pulled my XP off line and am using it to rip my collection of 78s, 45s and 33 1/3s to .wav files, and the old VHS stuff to DVD. It's been getting a little cranky, lately, anyway.

john

SNOOPY
03-28-2014, 06:41 AM
One of our computers still has XP, I think the concern is no updates and possibility of more viruses? Not sure if that is even a valid concern since we still have anti-virus service?

Wiredux
03-28-2014, 06:42 AM
I would look at donating it to a good cause and looking for a newer system.

But that is just me.

shelbydave
03-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Basically, they will have no more updates, and security patches released. There are a couple of options for you to continue...

Instead of using Internet Explorer, use Firefox, or Chrome - IE is integrated into the OS, and even WITH Microsoft's patches, it was a huge security hole... It will get even bigger now.

If you do online transactions (banking, buying with Credit card, etc...) I would suggest NOT using the XP machine for that. (reason to come)

Keep your anti virus up to date. That will minimize the risk. Keep in mind though, that AV software is a "generic" deterrent for all the bad stuff out there. your AV software will NOT patch security holes in the OS. (This is why I suggest getting a more updated machine for online transactions)

I just got rid of my last XP machine last month. Replaced it with a Windows 8 machine, and feel no need to look back. If you want to keep Windows, 8 seems to be the best version they have put out since XP.

You can always keep the XP machine around for word processing, and stuff like that, and get a low cost android tablet for online business as well..

bullant12
03-28-2014, 07:16 AM
You can update it to Windows 7 provided the machine you have has the required capacity (memory, hard drive, processor, etc). It is more stable that Windows 8, and it is still supported by Microsoft.
Seeing that you are still on XP, I am not sure if going to Linux or any open source operating system would be the best option for you.
Like Wiredux said, you might best need to start looking into a new system.

Bob Denman
03-28-2014, 07:30 AM
..Saw the same notice also...
How many times did you EVER call for help?
:D
We're just gonna run ours, until it's heart stops beating... :2thumbs:

bullant12
03-28-2014, 08:43 AM
..Saw the same notice also...
How many times did you EVER call for help?
:D
We're just gonna run ours, until it's heart stops beating... :2thumbs:

Or you get a virus... and that would be worse if it's one that compromises your security.
Better be safe than sorry.

Wiredux
03-28-2014, 09:40 AM
One thing to keep in mind if that if you have to have the system reinstalled for any reason you will not be able to get any of the operating system updates as the Windoze XP update servers will be offline and you will be stuck with the vulnerable system. What i mean by vulnerable system is that you can open your self up to a lot of security things especially if you bank online or even shop online. One thing to ask your self is how much information am you willing to expose to the internet on an unpatched system. I work in enterprise security and I see this all of the time. Old systems still talking to the internet and companies wonder how their networks get hacked.

Bob Denman
03-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Even with the best "Anti-Fungal" software that we can run?? :dontknow:

Some Guy
03-28-2014, 09:50 AM
One thing to keep in mind if that if you have to have the system reinstalled for any reason you will not be able to get any of the operating system updates as the Windoze XP update servers will be offline and you will be stuck with the vulnerable system. What i mean by vulnerable system is that you can open your self up to a lot of security things especially if you bank online or even shop online. One thing to ask your self is how much information am you willing to expose to the internet on an unpatched system. I work in enterprise security and I see this all of the time. Old systems still talking to the internet and companies wonder how their networks get hacked.

:agree: I work in the IT field as well.

A XP re-install is not the only problem with this. Hackers are always finding ways to exploit XP systems. Microsoft has been chasing them for years and issuing fixes. MS will no longer being issuing these fixes unless you pay big bucks to continue XP support (which my company is NOT doing...we're completely off of XP). If you keep going online using the XP operating system, eventually you will get burned somehow.

Some Guy
03-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Even with the best "Anti-Fungal" software that we can run?? :dontknow:

Not necessarily. There are ways they get around your added defenses to hack the actual operating system. Once they control the unsupported operating system...game over.

wyliec
03-28-2014, 09:54 AM
If you're going to get another computer, check out an iMac. I switched from windows and for a week I wish I hadn't; then I learned how easy it was to learn the Mac system.

Some Guy
03-28-2014, 10:00 AM
If you're going to get another computer, check out an iMac. I switched from windows and for a week I wish I hadn't; then I learned how easy it was to learn the Mac system.

:agree: Macs are very sweet.

I regularly use a Mac, a I-Pad, a Windows 7 PC and a IBM mainframe...talking about getting confused sometimes!!! :shocked:

SPYD1
03-28-2014, 10:25 AM
I would look at donating it to a good cause and looking for a newer system.

But that is just me.

Agree...and write it off...

Bob Denman
03-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Not necessarily. There are ways they get around your added defenses to hack the actual operating system. Once they control the unsupported operating system...game over.
:shocked: 85497

Dan_Ashley
03-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Just because they stop publishing updates does not mean it will stop working. My father had a 50 year old, out of warranty, weird car. It still works. If you are happy with XP keep it until the computer dies.

Dan_Ashley
03-28-2014, 01:38 PM
:agree: Macs are very sweet.

I regularly use a Mac, a I-Pad, a Windows 7 PC and a IBM mainframe...talking about getting confused sometimes!!! :shocked:
How do you mount the mainframe on your Spyder? (C8 C1 C8 C1)

Some Guy
03-28-2014, 02:08 PM
How do you mount the mainframe on your Spyder? (C8 C1 C8 C1)

E5 C5 D9 E8 C3 C1 D9 C5 C6 E4 D3 D3 E8 5A 5A 5A

;)

Dan_Ashley
03-28-2014, 02:51 PM
E5 C5 D9 E8 C3 C1 D9 C5 C6 E4 D3 D3 E8 5A 5A 5A

;)
//

LOL

Wiredux
03-28-2014, 03:01 PM
One of my customers was running Windoze 98 and was attacked last year. Shut down their entire production line. The system ran their HVAC and it was plugged to their network. A contractor for the HVAC company put in a dial up modem to monitor it remotely. Someone found it and had fun on their network.

Again no one is telling you not to use it. Just telling you the risks in keeping a operating system that is end of life.

Dan McNally
03-28-2014, 03:16 PM
One of our computers still has XP, I think the concern is no updates and possibility of more viruses? Not sure if that is even a valid concern since we still have anti-virus service?
Exactly . . . as new viruses, worms, Trojans appear, Microsoft will be doing nothing to update XP to be able to defend itself against them. Drivers will also start to fall behind technical advancements and you may start experiencing "blue screen of death" incidents, more often. I migrated to Windows 7, a while back on my originally XP gaming box, but since I had to become familiar with Windows 8 on my new laptop, I'm going to migrate it to Windows 8 so I only have to mess with one OS.

Dan_Ashley
03-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Exactly . . . as new viruses, worms, Trojans appear, Microsoft will be doing nothing to update XP to be able to defend itself against them. Drivers will also start to fall behind technical advancements and you may start experiencing "blue screen of death" incidents, more often. I migrated to Windows 7, a while back on my originally XP gaming box, but since I had to become familiar with Windows 8 on my new laptop, I'm going to migrate it to Windows 8 so I only have to mess with one OS.
I have a Win 3.1 machine that I use because of the specialty software I have on it. It is not on the network. When it fails, I'll replace it with a Linux box. I don't like Win 8.

gnz2250
03-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Best Buy has a trade in program. Not sure of the details saw it in the store on one of their racks in the computer section.

stillriding
03-29-2014, 05:38 AM
​Such an overwhelming response! Thanks to all of my new "grandchildren."

Dan_Ashley
03-29-2014, 12:37 PM
My grandchild is parked in the garage at the moment. No ryding today...going to the theater instead. But I DID polish the windshield.

Netminder
03-29-2014, 01:57 PM
XP was a good OS!nojoke But all of the above suggestions are good ones. Just make sure your pictures and important docs are backed up if you keep running it!:thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-29-2014, 02:00 PM

:D Can I borrow the car tonight?? :roflblack:

Bob Ledford
03-29-2014, 03:12 PM
What do you do?

Hate te to put you on the spot but it comes down to consolidating all the advice, your checking account and you.

Mickey Soft(MS) has been warning us for years now that they were going to stop support of ne of their best systems made. What do you do? I have done the following steps;
a. Made Mozilla Fire Fox my default internet browser. It is a free download.
b. Renewed my anti-virus fire wall and virus preventative software. GFI's Vipre has served me well for the past 10 years and prevented 307 attempts during that time period.

Since I have been an XP Pro user I have had ZERO interactions with MS. So why panic know?

I have a Win 7 box only because I got a refurbished mini tower for less then the price of a new of a new motherboard, RAM, CD an HD's and my labor to either clean up my work bench or getting up an down on the floor where I rebuilt the last one.

Good luck!!!

Bob Denman
03-29-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm running "Win-7 Pro" over here; it's been fast, stable, and trouble-free... I'll run this system until it drops! :2thumbs:

Wiredux
03-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Mac Pro here. This one will last me quite a while.

stillriding
03-30-2014, 05:48 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;783150]:D Can I borrow the car tonight?? :roflblack:[/QUOTE
​Only if you fill up the tank.

Bob Denman
03-30-2014, 09:10 AM
:D :2thumbs: