PDA

View Full Version : 53 years of 2 wheels - first impressions of 3.

bradysplace
03-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Every thing is a compromise. Hence my 2014 rtl. Key is finding a ride that has the least compromises. I've spent time on the forum - observing! After only 1000 miles on my two week old rtl the biggest drawback to a Can Am Spyder product, from my point of view, is the lack of dealers with excellent techs. Mine is almost 75 miles away. I know I bought it to ride it, however 150 miles for a simple adjustment etc. - anyway I'm lucky that my dealer is excellent and very pro owner. To new to the bike to have any opinions that may change once I have more seat time. I ride about 25,000 to 30,000 miles a year so it won't be long before my opinions have some validity. My first impressions are of a bike loaded with a lot of electronic safety that creates a very complicated safe machine. And BRP is sure proud of their stuff. I'm glad the 2014 has a 4 year bumper to bumper! Coming from two wheels, my first impression is the bike is not as blood pumping as two wheels, especially in high speed turns. Even though I have hwy pegs I wish it had more room to stretch out my legs (old man knees). Its got reasonable power but isn't going to win any races - I know that not why you buy a spyder. Takes a little getting use to the slowness of the up shifting (semi auto). However its the smoothest riding non automobile I have ever ridden. Reliability - time will tell. Something this expensive should be engineered well with few problems - but then take a look at the complexity of this thing and remember your bringing it to motorcycle shops who sell various brands and the experience level with many of these shops is a mechanic who went thru the BRP school. That's it! My first handful of fill ups put a smile on my face. I usually put anywhere from 150-250 miles a day - on most days - with a good mix of interstate (75mph) back roads (50) and around town and have been averaging ( I do the speed limit) 35-36 mpg on most fill ups. Very happy with that and look forward to a broke in engine! Its a great forum with lots of experienced folks. I look forward to meeting many of you in Durango.

Dan_Ashley
03-27-2014, 11:23 PM
....and it gets better after it is broke in....plan on the break in lasting 5K miles...then you will notice a noticeable improvement over an already great ride.

Dragonrider
03-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Well stated. Look forward to your comments next fall!!

Highwayman2013
03-28-2014, 04:30 AM
Welcome

SPYD1
03-28-2014, 05:50 AM
:welcome::congrats:

Bob Denman
03-28-2014, 07:11 AM
:agree: :welcome: :2thumbs:

sassoman
03-28-2014, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the club.I had ridden almost 50 years on 2 wheels,when lower back problems forced me onto 3 wheels.I am also adjusting to the change on my 2014RT. I have made some changes to mine,sway bar,skid plate,but adding the Weboards this week has made the biggest difference in comfort and confidence.They allow me to straighten my knees out and sitin a normal cruiser position.Before it was almost like a sportbike position for my knees and after a couple of hours it got very uncomfortable. My wife also noticed the difference in my riding position and told me that I was much smoother after adding the boards. Not laying the bike over and dragging the floorboards like on a two wheeler takes some getting used to. As far as power goes,when I want to pass a car on a 2 lane. I shift down to 4th gear and get the revs up and it goes pretty good 80+ in 4th. My Victory required a downshift or 2 to get around cars. A few changes that should standard on the RT make it a much more enjoyable ride.

den1953
03-28-2014, 07:57 AM
I also have lower back pain issues and one bad knee and wearing out the other one by favoring it. I'm still making payments on my 2012 Victory Cross Country yet, but I don't owe a whole lot on it. Luckily for me my Victory dealer is also a Can Am dealer and his service department is very good. Best thing is that he's only about 15 miles from my home. He has let me take a couple of Spyders out for demo rides, the last one being a yellow 2013 RT-S back in October. With the improvements to the 2014 RT models that is probably what I'll choose to get. The only things not for certain is how soon and what color.

mindman
03-28-2014, 10:20 AM
:welcome::congrats:

ARtraveler
03-28-2014, 01:47 PM
:congrats: and :welcome: Will be looking forward to hearing more as the miles pile on.

bradysplace
03-28-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm happy you seem to be enjoying your Spyder.

I have only one comment and that is I'm not at all sure what you mean by slowness of the up shifting.
The SE5, and I assume the SE6, has lightning fast shifts.
You need not back off on the throttle you just punch the button.
On the SE5 slow shift response is usually a sign that oil level is bit low.

Thanks for your input Roger. I'm always happy to hear from people that have more experience than me. Shifting a motorcycle takes many forms. A toe shift is instant with throttle response there the moment you toe to the next gear up. A heel toe shifter takes much more time to accomplish. As this is the first semi automatic bike I've dealt with (I've ridden fully automatic bikes - Burgmann etc.) I thought the gear change and application of increased throttle would be as quick as a toe shifter. However the slight delay is more, in terms of time, like the heel toe shifter. Of course this is splitting hairs and in no way detracts from the amazing tech. accomplishments of this bike. It was simply a first impression that takes about 2 minutes to get use to. Keep the blue side up :sour:

Illinois Boy
03-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks for your input Roger. I'm always happy to hear from people that have more experience than me. Shifting a motorcycle takes many forms. A toe shift is instant with throttle response there the moment you toe to the next gear up. A heel toe shifter takes much more time to accomplish. As this is the first semi automatic bike I've dealt with (I've ridden fully automatic bikes - Burgmann etc.) I thought the gear change and application of increased throttle would be as quick as a toe shifter. However the slight delay is more, in terms of time, like the heel toe shifter. Of course this is splitting hairs and in no way detracts from the amazing tech. accomplishments of this bike. It was simply a first impression that takes about 2 minutes to get use to. Keep the blue side up :sour:

It sounds like you shifted your bike tightly, if that makes sense. A lot of people do, and I am one of them. So I understand what you are saying. In comparison to a tight-shift technique, the paddle-shifting does lag.

However, as you said, you can compensate for it. I typically try to shift when the rpm's are still revving, or shift later than I would normally feel I should, instead of when rpm's are lagging or at a plateau. It is subtle and you may understand what I am saying. If so, try it and you may see an improvement to the shifting speed -- however, it will never match the technique you stated you used on your bikes.:thumbup:

spyder-dude
03-29-2014, 07:24 AM
:congrats: It gets better every mile I put on my 2014 RTS!

I would recommend signing up for http://spyderfest.com/ in Springfield MO that is coming April 30th to May 4th. A great time and you will see a lot of excitement from other spyder owners and get to check out the latest farkles.

And another event happening in June is the owners event in your area. Durango, CO. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64373-Durango

lookerjdc
03-29-2014, 08:55 AM
good luck and enjoy your new ride

hopefully by now you have overcome all your muscle memory reactions from riding on 2 wheelers... that was my brothers biggest problem ... he kept trying to control like he did his old bikes and then finally relaxed his shoulders and arms and viola!

spyderbirds
03-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Congrats on the new ryde. Pictures?

lookerjdc
03-29-2014, 01:18 PM
watch for Lamont's new 2014 pegs

I sat on his bike at Bikeweek and he had them mounted on his RT and they are very very comfortable...

damn - there's a tornado warning being issued for my area...... heads DOWN!!!!!

redrt
03-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Don't sell the spider short on power, my wifes RT will hang with a 103 Harley bagger. They just don't
give you the feel of two wheels because the frount end won't lift like a bike, ie more weight. Enjoy!

Deanna777
03-29-2014, 04:42 PM
:welcome:and :congrats:enjoy your new :spyder2:Deanna777:ohyea:

Bob Denman
03-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Luckily for me my Victory dealer is also a Can Am dealer and his service department is very good. Best thing is that he's only about 15 miles from my home. He has let me take a couple of Spyders out for demo rides, the last one being a yellow 2013 RT-S back in October. With the improvements to the 2014 RT models that is probably what I'll choose to get. The only things not for certain is how soon and what color.
:D If I may make a suggestion... 85581