PDA

View Full Version : Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn

Explorer
03-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Has anyone, with BRP fog lights on an ST, mounted a Stebel. I bought one and now that I see it's size, and have the skin off the Spyder, I can not find enough room to place it. If you have figured out a place it can fit, PLEASE educate me.
Thanks,
Roger

Dan_Ashley
03-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Has anyone, with BRP fog lights on an ST, mounted a Stebel. I bought one and now that I see it's size, and have the skin off the Spyder, I can not find enough room to place it. If you have figured out a place it can fit, PLEASE educate me.
Thanks,
Roger
Put it inside the air duct....the one running from the front. Mine is louder than the horns of hell.

Explorer
03-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Thanks Dan but it is an ST. I don't think it has an air duct.
Roger

SNOOPY
03-28-2014, 06:37 AM
On my STS I mounted it on the right side just above/behind the coolant fill cap.

That was the only place I could find that it would fit and not interfere w anything or rub through any hose or wire. :dontknow:

I didn't put it near any of the side/frunk intake holes because I didn't want to block any airflow.

It is a pain to even put it where I did though.

coz
03-28-2014, 09:48 AM
the gs and st are pretty similar. this spot might work on yours. i used the stock horn wire to operated the relay. it's bolted to the body panel bracket, which also provides a good ground.

Explorer
03-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks coz, but the ST has too much stuff there. Not enough room.
Roger

Explorer
03-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Snoopy
That location shows promise.
1. Were you able to mount it upright?
2. How do I remove the top side panel?
3. Did you retain the original horn?
4. Where did you place the relay? Near original horn, or near new horn?
Thank you very much for your time.
Roger

Explorer
03-31-2014, 11:27 PM
SNOOPY You are a master of understatement. Yes it is a BIG pain, but it does fit. Thank you for suggesting that location. It fits upright, barely. I wired it so I can now use both horns. I used the relay and ran a fuzzed line from the battery. If I ever want to remove the Stebel, and just go back to the original, all the wires and connectors are intact and unmodified.

billybovine Thank you for posting your instructions on removing the mirror. I would never have gotten it off without your help.

It took me a while to realize that the horn button makes the ground leg, not the hot leg, so I had to redo some of my new wiring, but it now works.
Roger

MarkLawson
04-01-2014, 07:45 AM
On my RT, I placed it under the left side cover opposite the right side cover that covers the BUDS connection, placing it below the headlight assembly. I found enough room there and then zip-tied it securely to the brackets I found in there. I did not hard mount it. Seems to work great and I hear no vibrations or rattling from it. That made the install much easier.

clueless
09-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Reviving the thread ... any new locations found to mount the Stebel horn unit?

I just looked and if I mounted it sideways upside down I could maybe if I cut off the mounting metal tab get it to fit but it would block too much of the air intake for my tastes.

Then I thought under the panels in front of the trunk but its pretty closed in there with the SpyderPops bumpskid underneath. not sure the sound would get out ... so still looking for suggestions. its nice that we have the battery terminals up near the top right to hook the horn relay to just need a place to mount the horn.