PDA

View Full Version : Push to talk

Alberts46
03-27-2014, 04:52 PM
After 2 years my other half is considering riding with me. I have the CB package, etc. but just wondering if I use the PTT CB button to talk to her and do I have to purchase the PTT extra cord for her. I know the intercom system has voice activation but prefer not to use that. If I do use the PTT CB button to talk to her how does that prevent me having that conversation broadcast over the CB. Probably dumb questions for those that use it, but this will new to me.

Thanks for any help.

can-am sam
03-27-2014, 04:59 PM
The PTTB is used to transmit on CB. The intercom is activated by talking into the microphone. It mutes the radio when used. There is an adjustment for the sensitivity of the microphone called VOX.

stevedfive
03-27-2014, 04:59 PM
The PTT passenger CB remote cord allows your passenger to talk on the CB radio. When you push the PTT button on the handlebar, it overrides the VOX intercom system, cutting off the passenger microphone, unless the passenger is using the PTT remote cable. The intercom is voice activated and does not require either party to do anything but speak.

NancysToy
03-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Sorry, you have to get used to the VOX. That's the only way the intercom works. Remember that there are adjustments for it in your setup menu.

GadgetGuy442
03-27-2014, 06:35 PM
When the CB is turned off, the driver can use the PTT button to manually transmit in the intercom to the passenger, irrespective of VOX setting.

If the PTT remote is in the passengers microphone line, they too can use it to manually transmit over the intercom system when the CB is off.

Bill

NancysToy
03-27-2014, 07:52 PM
When the CB is turned off, the driver can use the PTT button to manually transmit in the intercom to the passenger, irrespective of VOX setting.

If the PTT remote is in the passengers microphone line, they too can use it to manually transmit over the intercom system when the CB is off.

Bill

Good to know, Bill. Thanks!

Alberts46
03-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Bill, that is great news as I don't live voice activation. I have had the CB for several years and did not know your could turn it off, how do you do that?

GadgetGuy442
03-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Bill, that is great news as I don't live voice activation. I have had the CB for several years and did not know your could turn it off, how do you do that?

On the CB radio screen, if you toggle over to the vertical column for the squelch control, single pushes up or down will adjust the squelch. But, if you hold the down arrow for more than 2 seconds, the CB turns itself off, and the letters "OFF" appear momentarily at the bottom of that column.

Bill

GadgetGuy442
03-27-2014, 08:52 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/28/gypaze6e.jpg

Column 3 in the photo above shows the squelch control.

Bill

PW2013STL
03-28-2014, 01:52 PM
This is good to know, but I have never had to push a button to get her to talk:dontknow:
Now do they sell a button that I can push to get her to stop talking:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack ::shemademe_smilie:

SpongeBob
03-29-2014, 12:27 PM

Bill

Is this the PTT Remote you mention, Bill ?

Can Am on the left, J&M on the right.

Good to know that the intercom can be manually operated.

We are prone to blasting each other with a cough or sneeze from time to time and being able to switch off the intercom would be great.

Thanks

GadgetGuy442
03-31-2014, 09:48 PM
Hi Bob,

The one on the right in your post matches what we use. It's on page 69 of the 2014 catalog:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/01/5asave3a.jpg

We use it mostly after being on the highway where I've turned the VOX level up because of the road and wind noise and then get off the highway where it's much quieter. Until I dial the VOX level down, Sandy and I have to talk very loudly into our microphones...... Or we use the PTT switches. Usually getting off the highway I'm busy with turn signals, shifting the SE transmission, or just watching traffic, so adjusting the VOX level down is a low priority.

Showing Sandy how to use the PTT keeps her from getting frustrated with me for not adjusting the VOX, at least for a little while.

We use our CB a lot too, and she likes that PTT for that function too

SpongeBob
04-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Excellent ... thanks, Bill.