PDA

View Full Version : Earplugs

Dan_Ashley
03-27-2014, 02:05 PM
This is not a real exciting topic. But it is something I've been "messing" with the last week or so.
I noticed that I was getting a lot of road noise at freeway speed. Maybe I noticed it because I'm getting older--maybe not. Anyway I looked up on the internet and found that wind noise at 65 MPH could exceed 125 decibels. That is loud...really loud. So I got some ear plugs. Foam ear plugs. It reduced the noise a lot. So I decided that I would get some molded ear plugs that fit just fine.

The last time I was at Las Vegas Bikefest there was a vendor selling custom earplugs for $67. So I called a few audiologists in my area. I live about 80 miles East of Los Angeles. The audiologists charge between $95 and $145. I went over to the local Honda motorsports shop and he had some do-it-yourself kits for $30. I then checked Amazon.com and found a do-it-yourself kit for $19. I bought the $19 version.

It came. I read the instructions two or three times and followed them exactly. As expected the earplugs came out just fine. No problem

So today...me, the earplugs and my RT up on the super slab. 77 MPH. Much quieter. Much nicer. I also noticed a couple of other things that seem to have changed by wearing the earplugs: 1) I no longer have a tendency to shift at too low an RPM. My shifting is naturally well within the power band. This is good. 2) The wind-head-buffeting from trucks and cross winds doesn't bother me as much. I understand #1, but not #2.

Any ideas why #2....why did the wind buffeting seem less? :dontknow:

Some Guy
03-27-2014, 02:07 PM
The air pressure changes from the buffeting isn't affecting your inner ear as much as it did before the ear plugs.

Bob Denman
03-27-2014, 02:09 PM
:congrats: on a wise choice! :thumbup:
Buffeting bothers you less, because a large portion of it is the noise generated by the airflow...
...the very thing, that you've protected yourself from! :D

boomerkc
03-27-2014, 02:51 PM
would be appreciated. 2 yrs ago, at Spyderfest in Cuba, Don from TX was there making the Big Ears custom earplugs, approx. $60. Got a pair and they're great for blocking out the noise. I found just the opposite that I was used to shifting by sound more than looking at tach. One time I looked down as I was accelerating onto a highway and saw I was at 9,500 RPM. Oops!!!!

bmwlarry
03-27-2014, 03:37 PM
I have two sets, both custom made. I had one set made at a BMW Rally and they are for use with an iPod. The second set was made by my audiologist and are purely for hearing protection while riding. Both were expensive but you get what you pay for when it comes to effectiveness and comfort. I think the protective only ones were made by Beltone.

NancysToy
03-27-2014, 03:45 PM
We have used earplugs for years. Another benefit that is hard to understand is that you will actually become less fatigued during a long trip, for some unknown reason. One of the biggest benefits is that you don't take an hour to hear again normally after your ride ends. Nancy and I currently use the Big Ear plugs.

Copperman
03-27-2014, 04:38 PM
We have used earplugs for years. Another benefit that is hard to understand is that you will actually become less fatigued during a long trip, for some unknown reason. One of the biggest benefits is that you don't take an hour to hear again normally after your ride ends. Nancy and I currently use the Big Ear plugs.

I've been wearing earplugs for years. I just use the foam ones but I just might break down and buy custom fitted ones.

Bob Denman
03-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Those D.I.Y.s from Amazon "sound" interesting... :D

crazycanuck
03-27-2014, 04:59 PM
​custom protect ear......great investment

Bob Denman
03-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Question: How long can you get away with wearing them around the house, before they figure out that you're not actually listening to them? :D

wyliec
03-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Question: How long can you get away with wearing them around the house, before they figure out that you're not actually listening to them? :D

Have you checked the missus' ears lately?

Bob Denman
03-27-2014, 05:26 PM
All I need to do, is try to open the BRP Accessoires catalog, and she's on me like a Hungry Pit-Bull! :yikes:

crazycanuck
03-27-2014, 05:47 PM
This is clearly a premeditated action to bump up post count :trike:

jaherbst
03-27-2014, 06:53 PM

Ditto!

Never leave home without them. If your not wearing them now you will already have lost some hearing.

I wear Bluetooth Helmet speakers and foam ear plugs. Ear plugs cut out the wind and road noise and you can hear your MP3 or XM more clear than ever. Also Big EAR makes a killer molded ear headset that plugs into the GPS or Bluetooth Ear Molds are just being developed.

Ear plugs will also work with the OEM radio on the Spyder but you will certainly P/O anyone around you. Get a Helmet headset and make everyone around wonder what your listening to and why you have that Spyder Grin.

BajaRon
03-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Ear plugs are great. The only way to fly. I use them all the time. Generic 32db models. Never tried custom fit versions. Maybe I should look into them.

I've found that I sleep better when riding with ear plugs than without... :rolleyes:

jScotD
03-27-2014, 09:39 PM
foam things give me a headache from the pressure .. I can do the moldable wax stuff as long as I don't hit the pressure points in my ears.. and they fall out eventually.. I have always been destined to have the wind in my ears.. I can't even wear reading glasses for over 15 minutes because of the pressure. and I read lips

daveinva
03-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Bought 200 of these three years ago; not even through half the box yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015TBGR6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comfy enough and they do the job.

And, contrary to assumption, you hear the traffic around you *better* with earplugs in than without at anything about running speed-- plugs block the bad sound but let you hear what you need to hear.

(Oh, and yeah: I can hear my Sena just fine through the plugs, too!)

Dan_Ashley
03-27-2014, 10:37 PM
She already believes I do not hear her. I do not want to give her un falsifiable evidence.

blambert
03-28-2014, 12:22 AM
I have the custom molded ear plugs with the imbedded amplifier in each ear piece. When I plug into my music I dont even hear my hindle or kewl metal air intake, all I hear is music - I shift based upon vibration, because I can't hear anything beyond the music. Its the best.

NancysToy
03-28-2014, 06:36 AM
foam things give me a headache from the pressure .. I can do the moldable wax stuff as long as I don't hit the pressure points in my ears.. and they fall out eventually.. I have always been destined to have the wind in my ears.. I can't even wear reading glasses for over 15 minutes because of the pressure. and I read lips
I have much the same problem. I even wear my glasses elevated above my ears because they hurt otherwise. I also have very tiny earholes, so even the moldable plugs or the smallest available silicon ones bother me. Try the Big Ear custom plugs, or one of the alternative products. I have no pain at all from them. They are worth the money and the half hour or so it takes to have them made and coated.

Bob Denman
03-28-2014, 06:56 AM
I've found that I sleep better when riding with ear plugs than without... :rolleyes:
:shocked: Well THAT's an eye-opener!! :D

NorthStar
03-28-2014, 07:35 AM
I went to a local hearing clinic a few years back and had the Audiologist/HIS craft me a set of custom ear plugs. She made the molds and sent them away for processing. Within a week I went back for a fitting. I wore them for a week or so at her suggestion and went back again to fine tune the fit. She was aware that I would be wearing the plugs under a helmet and wanted to make sure that there were no pressure points experienced from wearing the plugs with a helmet. The final adjustments were made and the plugs are indeed a custom fit.

i can wear them all day without discomfort and they definitely block out wind noise and make riding the bike much more enjoyable. Another side benefit I discovered is wearing these plugs while sleeping in a strange bed while traveling makes for a better sleep every time. Blocks out all those unfamiliar and annoying sounds like the infamous rattling window air conditioners we run into in the less pricey motels that we tend to stay in while on the road.

The process to custom fit the plugs took multiple visits and I do admit to feeling a tad guilty at only paying $100 for the finished product. This was compounded a bit when I lost one of the plugs while on a road trip six months later and they were replaced at no charge.

Any type of ear protection is beneficial and I would recommend going the custom fit route based on my experiences with ear plugs.

Some Guy
03-28-2014, 07:39 AM
I always use some sort of hearing protection when I ride. I use these when riding one-up and listening to music; when not listening to music I wear foam plugs.

http://www.earfuze.com/store.html

When Some Girl is with me I use the blue tooth in the comm unit that I have in a different helmet so we both can listen. I always use the foam plugs when using the blue tooth and can hear the everything just fine.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Hopefully you will not miss something you need to hear...:yikes: :lecturef_smilie:......Mike :thumbup:

Some Guy
03-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Hopefully you will not miss something you need to hear...:yikes: :lecturef_smilie:......Mike :thumbup:

Eliminating the wind noise (a.k.a. white noise) makes it easier to hear the important stuff around, like cars, sirens, etc.

Granted, listening to music pretty much negates that, so you have to be extra vigilant. I never listen to music when I'm just riding around town.

shelbydave
03-28-2014, 10:42 AM

Eliminating the wind noise (a.k.a. white noise) makes it easier to hear the important stuff around, like cars, sirens, etc.

Granted, listening to music pretty much negates that, so you have to be extra vigilant. I never listen to music when I'm just riding around town.
:agree: There's a whole range of sounds hitting your ear while riding, and 90% of that is junk that washes out the sounds you want to hear. I can hear my surroundings much better with earplugs in, than without them.

OJ UK
03-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Having ridden fast bikes right through the 70s and 80s my goose has already been well and truly cooked.
When I consulted an audiologist about 10 years ago with tinitus, he found that my high frequency sensitivity was down
by almost 70%. Permanent damage and no way back.
The hearing aids I last bought, which are a revelation, allow me to enjoy music and birdsong once again. When I think that before I was
biking I could hear bats squeaking, it is a stern lesson to have to learn. The hearing aids were around $5000! Protecting my hearing would
have been a good bit cheaper. But back then no-one wore ear plugs.

Dan McNally
03-28-2014, 03:26 PM
UClear has earbuds that connect to my Bluetooth. They are not legal to wear in all states, so I wear them where I can. I have a set of the do it yourself molded earplugs for other places. They make a huge difference. With the earbuds, I can play music loud enough to enjoy, but still hear the sound car tires make if a vehicle is coming up behind me . . . without some sort of ear protection all I hear is wind noise. My wife likes the quality of the sound from the microphones on the earbuds much better than other microphones I've used for the Bluetooth phone conncection . . . she hears my clearly because they have noise cancellation in them . . .

bruiser
03-28-2014, 07:32 PM
I had a set of molded, until I left them on the counter one night. The cats had a ball with them. Anyway, like OJ, I have hearing loss. 20 years of being around fighters took a toll on my hearing. I do wear the foam plugs when needed. Even when mowing the lawn or working with loud tools. And riding. The wife wears them at night. She says I snore. Ha, she does too.

Forgot, some foam plugs are slightly harder than others. Find the softest ones. Putting them in correctly is essential. You can injure the eardrum if you put them in wrong.

capt.jim
03-29-2014, 01:09 AM
As Scotty said, I'm much less fatigued after riding a long distance. I keep a small bag of them in my frunk and a couple in each pocket of my jackets. I prefer the foam ones over my custom molded ones.

PW2013STL
03-29-2014, 06:21 AM
As Scotty said, I'm much less fatigued after riding a long distance. I keep a small bag of them in my frunk and a couple in each pocket of my jackets. I prefer the foam ones over my custom molded ones.

I am with you on that. I can wear the form ones longer then the my custom ones. I like others have hearing loss due to not wearing hearing protection in my youth. Too many bikes and guns without protection. I also wear hearing aids, but not when riding.

figmotoday
03-29-2014, 07:05 AM
noise canceling effectively work for me while either silent or listening to music. Only downside is putting on my helmet without moving the earbuds and having wires running to my ipod vs helmet speakers & other options removing the need for wires.

Dan McNally
03-29-2014, 08:15 AM
noise canceling effectively work for me while either silent or listening to music. Only downside is putting on my helmet without moving the earbuds and having wires running to my ipod vs helmet speakers & other options removing the need for wires.

That is the same problem I have . . . remembering the wires! Oh, well . . . practice makes perfect, and that sound cancelling is great. It is nice to have the wind sounds muted and to actually hear the tires on the road of a vehicle approaching me from behind . . . as well as all the other sound that get hidden by the wind noise.

Dan_Ashley
03-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Do foam earplugs filter out more (or less) noise than molded ones?

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-29-2014, 12:34 PM

......Sorry I didn't know you could buy earplugs for muffling SELECTIVE SOUNDS ? ? ?:yikes:.....Mike

Bob Denman
03-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Some of the cheapest foam ones have a 35 Db NRR... :2thumbs:
That's what I use, when shooting; along with earmuffs that also have a 31 Db rating

Dan_Ashley
03-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Some of the cheapest foam ones have a 35 Db NRR... :2thumbs:
That's what I use, when shooting; along with earmuffs that also have a 31 Db ratinghmmmm....I gonna try foam ones and compare with my do-it-yoursel molded ones. I'll post the result tomorrow or the next day.

Bob Denman
03-29-2014, 12:47 PM
I can't wait, to HEAR the results! :D
:bbq::bbq:

stillriding
03-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Do foam earplugs filter out more (or less) noise than molded ones?
​I've never had molded plugs, but last year I tried foam ones and the noise was amplified.

Bob Denman
03-29-2014, 12:56 PM
You put them in backwards... :roflblack:

Bob Ledford
03-29-2014, 02:15 PM
I got started using ear protection after my first time on the machine gun firing range. Could not hear diddly squat for 5 days. First type I tried were Sonic ear valves for impact noises like gun shots, hand grenades an artillery simulators. Worked great. Then one of senior NCO's found that he could buy ear muff types for our truck and track drivers. They worked great as long as you were in a non combat phase. Then the Army started to get smart and issued everyone a set of ear plugs made out of silicone rubber with three flanges on them . They were a real trip to insert and use. You took your right hand and placed it over the top of your head. Grabbed your left ear with the right hand an pulled up on the ear. Using the left hand you inserted the plug until it either hurt or bottomed out. You could not hear anything but your heart pumping. You switched hands and ears for the right side. Very unpopular with the troops for comfort or hearing. The best one I ever found for overall comfort, noise reduction, all day wearability and ease of insert action is a product by the name of E.A.R. They are small cylinders of yellow dense foam cell rubber. You take one and roll it or compress it by rolling between your thumb and index fingers. When it is as small as you can get it you insert it into your ear canal and put your finger over the hole and it self expands till is expanded to its max. When they get dirty you wash them in a sock and air dry. They are great!

Bob Denman
03-29-2014, 02:24 PM
I wish that I could get my hands on a set of those Military Silicone plugs...
They'd be great; for when the Missus gets on a tear! :lecturef_smilie: :D :roflblack:

Jeriatric
03-29-2014, 02:30 PM
http://www.earinc.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=29

I got started using ear protection after my first time on the machine gun firing range. Could not hear diddly squat for 5 days. First type I tried were Sonic ear valves for impact noises like gun shots, hand grenades an artillery simulators. Worked great. Then one of senior NCO's found that he could buy ear muff types for our truck and track drivers. They worked great as long as you were in a non combat phase. Then the Army started to get smart and issued everyone a set of ear plugs made out of silicone rubber with three flanges on them . They were a real trip to insert and use. You took your right hand and placed it over the top of your head. Grabbed your left ear with the right hand an pulled up on the ear. Using the left hand you inserted the plug until it either hurt or bottomed out. You could not hear anything but your heart pumping. You switched hands and ears for the right side. Very unpopular with the troops for comfort or hearing.

★★★★★
The best one I ever found for overall comfort, noise reduction, all day wearability and ease of insert action is a product by the name of E.A.R. They are small cylinders of yellow dense foam cell rubber. You take one and roll it or compress it by rolling between your thumb and index fingers. When it is as small as you can get it you insert it into your ear canal and put your finger over the hole and it self expands till is expanded to its max. When they get dirty you wash them in a sock and air dry. They are great!

OJ UK
03-29-2014, 03:21 PM
I started out with EAR Classics, that's the compressible foam type that you roll between finger and thumb
to enable easy insertion but then I discovered their Soft FX plugs which are even easier and last much longer.
They also have an SNR of 39 (39dB silencing) which is one of the highest figures on the market.
I'll bring some with me to SF and give them to anyone interested. 'Kay?

bruiser
03-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Check out www.earplugstore.com

We were required to wear ear protection when I was working. All plants that I went to supplied ear protection in one form or another, but not all ear protection could be worn in all plants. :hun: In other words, brand A foam plugs were not allowed in food plants because they weren't the proper color and not metal detectable. Brand B didn't comply with the required time weighted average in the metal forge plant. So I just went with what they had available. Some plants required muffs. I had my own. I found Laser Lite soft foam plugs by Walter Leight to be very comfortable and easy to use. I use plugs when I'm flying and now when I go to the movies. Especially if it's an action movie. I use muffs on the outdoor range and muffs and plugs at the indoor range.

jaherbst
03-29-2014, 04:17 PM
After 35 years flying jets all over the world and riding/racing motorcycles I guess I am lucky to be able to hear at all or should I say to be here at all! The last 15 years were on the 747 which is the loudest cockpit in the world (wind Noise). All three cockpit crew members wore ear plugs or ear molds. Yes we could still hear the radio. Usually an ear mold headset in one ear and foam or ear mold in the other. After 12-16 hours of flying time if you did not wear these your ears would ring for days and the fatigue factor was tripled.

Your Helmet wind noise is the same. I strongly recommend a good full face helmet and some sort of ear protection with bluetooth helmet speakers.

Showie
03-29-2014, 04:25 PM
My wife has been researching this but I wonder how well do ear plugs work with comm systems like Sena? Any input!

Bob Denman
03-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Why not just get a set of those 50 cent foam plugs, and give it a try? :dontknow:

nhoj
03-29-2014, 05:13 PM
My wife has been researching this but I wonder how well do ear plugs work with comm systems like Sena? Any input!

We use the "RADIANS CUSTOM MOLDED EAR PLUGS". Its a two-part moldable kit you fit yourself. With the SENA's we can hear each other just fine and the wind/road noise is minimized. (NRR 26 dB)

RADIANS Product Site (http://www.radians.com/radsite/index.php/products/industrial-safety-products/hearing-protection/item/radians-custom-molded-earplugs?category_id=8)

The kits are available from Amazon for $12.50 even less on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Blue/dp/B003A28OW6

NancysToy
03-29-2014, 06:20 PM

We wear earplugs all the time using our Starcom1 comm system. You may have to adjust the system volume a bit. Be sure both of you are wearing them or both are not, otherwise the volume is loud for one and low for the other.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm confused. What exactly are you guys discussing, in-ear plugs simply to cut all the noise, audio ear plugs (ear buds) to listen to audio, w/ helmet or w/o helmet, foam plugs in conjunction with helmet and helmet speakers, or just what? :hun::dontknow:

I use a Nolan N104 helmet with helmet speakers wire connected to the audio. I've never noticed any significant, or at least not tolerable, noise level with the helmet on. In fact, I have to take it off to have a normal conversation with anyone. It's almost like having ear muffs on.

Dan_Ashley
03-29-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm confused. What exactly are you guys discussing, in-ear plugs simply to cut all the noise, audio ear plugs (ear buds) to listen to audio, w/ helmet or w/o helmet, foam plugs in conjunction with helmet and helmet speakers, or just what? :hun::dontknow:

I use a Nolan N104 helmet with helmet speakers wire connected to the audio. I've never noticed any significant, or at least not tolerable, noise level with the helmet on. In fact, I have to take it off to have a normal conversation with anyone. It's almost like having ear muffs on.
I ride with either a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet. It is loud. We are discussing earplugs to reduce the volume.

NancysToy
03-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Even with a full-faced helmet noise levels can exceed levels allowed by OSHA for industry. Earplugs are good for protecting your long-term hearing if you ride.

jaherbst
03-29-2014, 08:48 PM
There is a big difference in noise reduction at speed with a full face helmet but not enough. The combination of the full face helmet plus the ear plugs will make a substantial difference. Face shield down of course.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2014, 09:05 PM
There is a big difference in noise reduction at speed with a full face helmet but not enough. The combination of the full face helmet plus the ear plugs will make a substantial difference. Face shield down of course.

And impact on headset volume is?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

NancysToy
03-29-2014, 09:22 PM

There is some, but it is not excessive. I turn up my volume two notches with the plugs in. You actually can make out what is said much better, because most of the noise is removed. I resisted wearing earplugs for a long time, but when I finally tried them I was converted for life.

I might add that the earplugs do make it even more important that your helmet speakers are correctly located...right over the earhole. If the speakers are too far from your ear, the earplugs drown them out very quickly.

pwilbarger
03-29-2014, 09:45 PM
A year or so ago Motorcycle Consumer News published a test of all the different types ear plugs. They ended up recommending the orange soft foam tapered plugs. I bought an assortment of plugs from Aerostich for my own test. Ended the only ones that didn't make my ears soar under my helmet were those same orange foam buggers. I've been using those ever since riding, mowing, etc. The ones I just bought today at the grocery store came four pairs in plastic storage case for $1.50 on close out (discontinued) with NRR of 33. They are the store brand (TopCare) and made in the USA. I got two boxes, one for the Spyder and one for the garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jScotD
03-29-2014, 09:49 PM
huh? can you turn your lips towards me so I can read them..;)

my hearing is shot.. doesn't matter to me.. a high volume rock and roll band in the 70's with me being the sound man probably helped.. along with drag racing...cross country motorcycle trips.. more than I can count.... the angels are always singing in my ears..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKLVmBOOqVU

been a long time since I hung out in NYC...

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2014, 10:37 PM
huh? can you turn your lips towards me so I can read them..;)
I worked with a guy who was pretty much deaf. In meetings he would occasionally say, "Wait just a minute. I need to put my glasses on so I can hear your!" :)

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2014, 10:40 PM

There is some, but it is not excessive. I turn up my volume two notches with the plugs in. You actually can make out what is said much better, because most of the noise is removed. I resisted wearing earplugs for a long time, but when I finally tried them I was converted for life.

I might add that the earplugs do make it even more important that your helmet speakers are correctly located...right over the earhole. If the speakers are too far from your ear, the earplugs drown them out very quickly.
Thanks. That clears it up quite nicely.

Dan_Ashley
03-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Molded vs foam

here is the test. It is not at all scientific, but here it is:

I wear a Gmax 3/4 helmet without the face shield.

it is a mile to the freeway, once on the freeway I rode 12 miles to an interchange, then up to another freeway, looped around and back home. I did not record the miles but I think it is about 25 miles.

First test I used the molded earplugs from a do-it-yourself kit I bought on Amazon.com. Second test was foam ear plugs.

both sets of earplugs seemed to filter out high pitch noise. However, the molded ear plugs did not filter out low pitched noise as well. I think that the ear padding in the helmet was pushed up against the molded plugs and helmet vibration was transmitted through the earplugs into my skull. I am unsure of that, but it is what I think.

As as a result, the foam earplugs seemed much quieter to me.

gypsy_100
03-31-2014, 01:23 PM

Agree with Scotty and other replies. They work just fine. My wife and I have been using intercoms since we started riding about 150K miles ago. And always with ear plugs. No problem. Our speakers are adjustable individually so we can each set the volume level where it needs to be.

Dan_Ashley
04-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Update on the test:
i decided to do the test wearing the foam plugs first, then Mande the loop, then switched to the molded plugs. The results were the same as I posted above.