PDA

View Full Version : 2014 belt tensioner

Oklahoma Spyder
03-27-2014, 10:24 AM
I heard someone had to rig an older model belt tensioner to get it to fit the 2014. Is anyone making one that is designed from scratch for the 2014 RT's

SpyderAnn01
03-27-2014, 11:57 AM
We saw one last weekend but I don't remember what brand it was. This one did not require drilling a hole in the frame it just bolted into an existing hole. That wasn't much help now was it?

Jim&Teresa
03-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Check with Jim at Smoothspyder....let me know through the post if he has one...I may add one as well to my 2014 RT L.....had one on my 2012 RT L and liked it. :thumbup:

He's a sponsor of our forum and you can find how to contact him there on the home page where the sponsors are....good luck!

IGETAROUND
03-27-2014, 04:22 PM
We saw one last weekend but I don't remember what brand it was. This one did not require drilling a hole in the frame it just bolted into an existing hole. That wasn't much help now was it?

Sounds as if you're describing the Baker tensioner. Check their sponsor page. :popcorn:

Oklahoma Spyder
03-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Check with Jim at Smoothspyder....let me know through the post if he has one...I may add one as well to my 2014 RT L.....had one on my 2012 RT L and liked it. :thumbup:

He's a sponsor of our forum and you can find how to contact him there on the home page where the sponsors are....good luck!

Jim said he has one it is just not on the webpage yet. it uses a spacer provided by him and uses an existing hole to attach as spider ann spoke of.

Purple Guy
03-27-2014, 06:25 PM

At least we know there's one available... :D

YIRYDE
03-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Here is the link to the Baker Built.

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/2014belt.html

TonyMac
03-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Armed with lots of info from this elite forum, I spoke to my dealer's lead tech last night when picking up my Spyder and I specifically asked if the 2014s needed an after market belt tensioner and he said no. He said he had a special tool to measure the tension and he said you pluck the belt like the string on a guitar and it should vibrate a certain frequency when it was correct. He said if it is set right, you won't get the harmonic effects others have reported.

Was he correct?

PW2013STL
03-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Armed with lots of info from this elite forum, I spoke to my dealer's lead tech last night when picking up my Spyder and I specifically asked if the 2014s needed an after market belt tensioner and he said no. He said he had a special tool to measure the tension and he said you pluck the belt like the string on a guitar and it should vibrate a certain frequency when it was correct. He said if it is set right, you won't get the harmonic effects others have reported.

Was he correct?

Does your Spyder have any extra vibrations between 70 and 80 mph? If not he maybe correct. If it does go back an asked him whay he did not set yours up correctly.

Let us know.

TonyMac
03-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Does your Spyder have any extra vibrations between 70 and 80 mph? If not he maybe correct. If it does go back an asked him whay he did not set yours up correctly.

Let us know.

Don't know. I only got to ride 39 miles or so home from the dealer last night on TX 46 through deer infested country at sunset so I was busy fiddling with buttons and watching out for deer. Got it up to 75 or so at times but will do some systematic testing this weekend as the weather is supposed to be great.