PDA

View Full Version : Torque requirements on changing oil

JKMSPYDER
03-24-2014, 06:32 PM
I will be changing the oil myself for the first time on my '13 ST-S. I understand the torque requirements on the oil plug and engine plug. But there is no mention in the owners manual or shop manual about how tight the screws should be to the oil and transmission filter covers. Should I just give them a firm tug after hand tightening? I don't want to over tighten, but not sure what they require. Any ideas?:dontknow:

3Willie
03-24-2014, 07:05 PM
I will be changing the oil myself for the first time on my '13 ST-S. I understand the torque requirements on the oil plug and engine plug. But there is no mention in the owners manual or shop manual about how tight the screws should be to the oil and transmission filter covers. Should I just give them a firm tug after hand tightening? I don't want to over tighten, but not sure what they require. Any ideas?:dontknow:

The info below was copied directly from the owners manual of my 2008. I would think there is similar info in your owner's manual and know it would be a good idea to not just guess. Stripped threads on a Spyder would get expensive really quickly!

25.Screw the oil filter cover in place.
Torque to9 N•m(80 lbf•
in).
26.Wipe out any oil spillage.
27.Pour 3 L (3 quart) of the recommended
oil into the oil reservoir.
Do not overfill.
28.Start the engine and let it idle for a
few minutes.
29.Ensure the oil filter area and the oil
drain plug areas are not leaking

Yazz
03-24-2014, 07:15 PM
If you want to work on your own Spyder, a Maintenance Manual is handy. Either paper or off the web.

happyspyder2039
03-25-2014, 11:45 PM
I will be changing the oil myself for the first time on my '13 ST-S. I understand the torque requirements on the oil plug and engine plug. But there is no mention in the owners manual or shop manual about how tight the screws should be to the oil and transmission filter covers. Should I just give them a firm tug after hand tightening? I don't want to over tighten, but not sure what they require. Any ideas?:dontknow:hand tight works for me for over 20k miles with no issues