PDA

View Full Version : Potential RT buyer questions

dbaucum
03-24-2014, 12:02 PM
We are considering moving from a Goldwing to a 2014 RT. Our recent demo ride encouraged us to pursue it further. We have some questions;
1. Any problem with wind/rain coming between the windshield and faring with the windshield in raised position?
2. Wife noticed she sits higher and more upright than the Wing. Are there any aftermarket seat modifications available?
3. We have an x tall windshield on the Wing for better wind/rain protection. What windshield modifications have Spyder owners made to help with that? (I realize height matters and we are both short)
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cruzr Joe
03-24-2014, 12:06 PM
We are considering moving from a Goldwing to a 2014 RT. Our recent demo ride encouraged us to pursue it further. We have some questions;
1. Any problem with wind/rain coming between the windshield and faring with the windshield in raised position? NO
2. Wife noticed she sits higher and more upright than the Wing. Are there any aftermarket seat modifications available? Not to lower seat any real amount.
3. We have an x tall windshield on the Wing for better wind/rain protection. What windshield modifications have Spyder owners made to help with that? (I realize height matters and we are both short) Both Short, stock windshield should be fine.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

​Cruzr Joe

fastfraser
03-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Power stock windshield offers lots of protection from wind and rain as long as you are moving. Have a look at the heated Corbin seat, backrest and arm rests. You will love the stability of the Spyder in the nasty weather when everyone else is huddled under a bridge !:thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
I have driven through lots of rain and never had a problem with water coming through the openings or back at me from over the top. That includes lowering the windshield so I can look over it and not through all the rain drops gathering on the plastic.

Bob Denman
03-24-2014, 02:31 PM
:welcome: (or at least "Spyder-Curious...") ;)
Windshields and seats are two places where you'll have no problem finding something that'll fit you best! :thumbup:
The windshield... Try raising it to it's highest position; you might find that it does a pretty good job! Otherwiase, cal-Sci or F4 are worth a look.
Seating.., Corbin, Ultimate, Russell... those are only the first three that come to mind. There are plenty of others!
So; welcome to the party, and ask anything that comes to mind... :D :2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
03-25-2014, 01:13 AM
Welcome! Your wife will want armrests for sure and there are a few different options available. You will stay pretty dry on the Spyder but your passenger may get a bit wetter.

Highwayman2013
03-25-2014, 04:10 AM
Welcome, there are many products available from BRP and the aftermarket. Give it some miles before deciding to change anything.

harrypottar
03-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Welcome, I came of a level 3 2007 Wing onto a 2012 RT limited.

One of the reasons for the trade was the rear GL's seat, my wife whom is small had difficulty getting on and off the wing. Basically had trouble swinging her legs over the seat, the spyder back seat is a lot lower than the GL's. Has stated my wife is small so there is amble room for her but she feels there is less room on the back seat. I have the removable utopia back rest, I use it for solo riding or with my kids, however it have to remove it when the wife is with me as she feels too claustrophobic.

Having stated all that,she loves it, she had gotten to point of not riding with me on the wing, now she loves the spyder. Likes the fact she can climb on and off while I'm getting ready and loves the relaxed riding. Both her and my son have fallen asleep on the back on more than on occasion.

Again this may sound negative, it's not , it's just different; there is not as much rain protection on the Sypder. I'm not a fan of the looks but I installed a full set of baker air wings. This work great and keep the rain off the both of you while moving go course. Also recommend the vented windscreen, I have yet to add to mine but that was one of the thinks I missed.

I moved out of choice, I'm still fit and healthy, have no issues with two wheels but love the idea of something different. I have not had one regret over the trade, yes there are some thing that could be better, but that was the same with the wing. Has you know wingers spends thousands of dollars getting the ride just right, for me the spyder was closer out of the box but you still have to spend a little to make it your own.

Good luck

harry