PDA

View Full Version : In need of a Towing Trailer

rtotten
03-24-2014, 11:42 AM
My wife has her 2010 RT and I have my 2013 RT. I have a Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD with the 6 cyl. Looking to haul the bikes, like down to Arizonia, then look for land to buy. I am thinking of Aluma trailer, but what size? Will my Tacoma have any problems hauling 2 Spyders? I am thinking of a flatbed trailer. Is there another brand I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Rick

Bob Denman
03-24-2014, 11:50 AM
What is your Tacoma rated for?
The two bikes are going to be about a ton...
plus the weight of the trailer...
If you assume two tons of trailer and bikes; you might be safe.
The bikes are each approximately 62.5"x105"
I would guess that it'd be tough to get awat with much less than an 18 foot long, 7 foot wide trailer... :shocked:
...And 20' would give you some more wiggle room!

jcthorne
03-24-2014, 03:45 PM
If you are thinking about an open trailer, take a look at the Sloan Kwikload trailer. Works much like a roll back wrecker where the whole bed rolls back and down. Do not confuse this with copy cat tilting trailers that are quite dangerous.

I have an aluminum KwikLoad, 18ft model and our 2 Spyder RTs fit fine. No ramps to deal with and the trailer weights 1300 lbs. It was actually purchased for hauling my GT which has much more stringent ramp angle requirements than the Spyder. Best and easiest to use trailer I have ever owned. Loading and unloading is truly a single person affair.

MMcc
03-24-2014, 04:00 PM
I have a 7 X 16 foot ATV trailer that I use for the spyder and Yamaha Rhino. We have put two spyders on it with out any problems. Towed it with a 6 cylinder ford pick-up with out problems. With the 16 foot you do not have alot of extra length but nothing sticks over the back or front. One time loaded the spyders back to back but found that was more trouble that it was worth as we had to remove the windshield of the rear spyder. The alumalite are great but more that I wanted to spend. Enclosed 7 X 16 was just more that I wanted to tow behind my motorhome. Good luck.

Bob Denman
03-24-2014, 05:18 PM
How did you position them on the bed of that 16 footer? :dontknow:

MMcc
03-24-2014, 05:46 PM
How did you position them on the bed of that 16 footer? :dontknow:
Bob; We loaded the first one and moved it far to the left side as possible with the front tires against the front rail. You then nudge the rear tire over toward the left edge alittle. Loaded the second one with the rear wheel of the first spyder centered between the left tire and the frunk. Wheel base is a little over 7 feet. As I said not a lot of extra room but both did fit. Now I use removable motorcycle wheel chocks that we put in place after the first spyder is loaded. That way securing the second one is much simpler and we know it won't move sideways and get damaged.

Vrooom
03-24-2014, 07:28 PM
We bought a Drop tail open mc two up trailer to haul ours to Az this year. About as lightweight as you can get for that Tacoma.

Yelhelp
03-25-2014, 05:01 AM
My wife has her 2010 RT and I have my 2013 RT. I have a Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD with the 6 cyl. Looking to haul the bikes, like down to Arizonia, then look for land to buy. I am thinking of Aluma trailer, but what size? Will my Tacoma have any problems hauling 2 Spyders? I am thinking of a flatbed trailer. Is there another brand I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Rick

I have a trailer that is about 685LB two axles towed my 2011RT to Texas from NY with a Ford Taurus ,two years ago. The trailer is 17' from ball to rear the bed is 7'X15' no way in this green heaven would I be able to get two :spyder2:'s on the trailer safely. So like Bob D says you would need something that is at least 20' long and 7' wide , I would think.

DrewNJ
03-25-2014, 05:51 AM
We use a 12' long aluminum Triton snowmobile trailer. It weighs almost nothing. I think it's 10' wide if I remember correctly.
We load the spyders from the sides. Or use some of those plastic sliding discs to spin the rear around. Works and tows great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk