PDA

View Full Version : Rider Mag review, pool gas mileage

johnz8
08-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I just read the Rider mag writeup on the Spider and, for the most part, I thought it was a good review.:clap:

I am considering a Spider in my future. I'm riding a Concours right now and it has a huge tank and gets easily 48 to 50 MPG. Range and economy is very important to me living in the south west.

The recorded 28 mile per gallon figure scared the crap out of me.:yikes: That could be a show stopper both due to over all range and economy.

Are there any plans to improve mileage? Is there anything the owner can do to improve on that figure? Even low to mid 30s is not very good. Even a Harley can do much better than that.:dontknow:

Smylinacha
08-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Hey there - glad you found this place:thumbup: You are going to keep your Concourse though, right? That's a nice bike! Nothing like having more than a few toys to choose from!:2thumbs:

mrfilovirus
08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
A lot of people are getting in the mid thirties. This thing does like to drink the gas.

I am still before my first service, and driving in really hot weather with a heavy hand, and I am getting around 28. Mileage will improve with time and depending on how you drive it from what I understand - but mid-30's is about all you can expect.

johnz8
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey there - glad you found this place:thumbup: You are going to keep your Concourse though, right? That's a nice bike! Nothing like having more than a few toys to choose from!:2thumbs:

I would like to have both but.... I will keep the Connie for a while. It is a bit top heavy with the huge tank. I have the Connie set up just the way I like it. Lots of after market stuff to do just that. I will probably look seriously at the Spider as the next toy when I get a few more years older.

BAZMAN
08-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I THOUGHT THE REVIEW WAS ALITTLE HEAVY HANDED. HE LIKES 2 WHEELED CYCLES A LOT BETTER. AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE THE ONLY WAY SPYDERS WILL HIT MPG IN THE 40S IS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO CHANGE THE 5TH GEAR TO AHIGHER RATIO.

effgjamis
08-21-2008, 09:30 PM
I just read the Rider mag writeup on the Spider and, for the most part, I thought it was a good review.:clap:

I am considering a Spider in my future. I'm riding a Concours right now and it has a huge tank and gets easily 48 to 50 MPG. Range and economy is very important to me living in the south west.

The recorded 28 mile per gallon figure scared the crap out of me.:yikes: That could be a show stopper both due to over all range and economy.

Are there any plans to improve mileage? Is there anything the owner can do to improve on that figure? Even low to mid 30s is not very good. Even a Harley can do much better than that.:dontknow:

I also read the article... I think a two wheeler peep just might be a bit prejudiced..
I am getting 34-38 mpg around town, and 39 mpg, rounded up all numbers) on the road crusing, Fl I-4 at 70 mph.

I have seen a bit of mpg improvement each time I gas it up.

AMTJIM
08-21-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm still waiting for the aftermarket rear economy pulley and belt to be invented.

ataDude
08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm still waiting for the aftermarket rear economy pulley and belt to be invented.

You know, I was looking at that the other day. I suspect the pulley is the easy part.

I'm convinced that finding the correct belt is probably the more difficult. You certainly won't build one with a CNC and a raw chunk of aluminum. :D