PDA

View Full Version : Multi motorcycle wreck

bruiser
03-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Yesterday morning on US 64 in Wendell. NC. A womens group ride. Twenty five sport bikes. Seven bikes crashed. Two women in critical condition. The cause, a rubber ball fell out of the back of a pickup truck.

Bob Denman
03-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Is any link to the story available? :shocked:
It sounds like a real shame!

cuznjohn
03-23-2014, 09:40 AM
http://www.wncn.com/story/25045649/up-to-15-motorcycles-involved-in-accident-on-us-64

Bob Denman
03-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks, John! :thumbup:
Now; If that ball was thrown into them, and it can be proven... :gaah:

Oldmanzues
03-23-2014, 09:50 AM
I believe in Ohio, if the ball can be proven to come from a vehicle, It is a insecure load and you are responsible. Which does not help the people involued. Hope everybody recovers okay.
Oldmanzues

SPYD1
03-23-2014, 10:09 AM
:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

cuznjohn
03-23-2014, 10:16 AM
anything that comes off a truck or car that was not tied down proper should be considered a driving offense

Bob Denman
03-23-2014, 10:31 AM
I do believe that's the case here in New York...
If a rock comes off of a dump truck load; the insurance from that truck buys the new windshield! :2thumbs:
...But you've got to prove where it came from! :gaah:

Netminder
03-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Rule of thumb! ( and I know this is easier said then done) if the object is too big I will do my best, but if it is small and looks like hitting it is safer then avoiding it, I will take that route. Especially in the case of animals. JMHO. I hope everyone comes out of it ok and :pray::pray::pray: to all.

bruiser
03-23-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm waiting for the report to be completed and see if I can get a copy. My thought is that the lead rider may have panicked causing a chain reaction. We found out that this same group was in our town yesterday morning. They were riding to raise awareness for lupus. They were part of a group called Sisters on Steel from three states.

pickelhead
03-23-2014, 12:15 PM
This is why you should never ride side by side. You need to give yourself a protective bubble all around. By having the proper following distance and a clear vehicle space to left and to the right. This gives you multiple options to choose from in situations like this. I used this practice when I drove an 18 wheeler. My hopes and prayers are out to the injured riders. When someone (or something) entered my safety space to the front, I had other spaces to move my vehicle, thus avoiding a wreck. I drove a truck for 10 years and over 1 million miles without an accident.

Flanker
03-23-2014, 03:29 PM
I believe in Ohio, if the ball can be proven to come from a vehicle, It is a insecure load and you are responsible. Which does not help the people involued. Hope everybody recovers okay.
Oldmanzues

Think we got something similar on the books up here too! For good reason! Hope the ladies are all well and riding again soon!