PDA

View Full Version : Cold Blooded

bigdave18629
08-21-2008, 09:51 AM
My Spyder seems to be a little cold blooded and has to warm up for a while before it is ready to ride. If I take off before it sits and idles for 5-10 minutes it really sputters a lot and come close to stalling.

I did not worry about this much as my Harley was the same way. When I took it for servous though and mentioned this to my dealer he seemed to be shocked but has no idea what could be causing it.

Do any of you fellow Spyder-Peeps have the same issue or have any idea what it could be?:dontknow:

Rokonman
08-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Mine is the same way

zzneonzz
08-21-2008, 10:11 AM
If i try to take off before i have 1 bar on the temp guage it will spit and sputter and try to stall as well. From what i have heard from others in the past seems like this is common with the Spyder

tatt2r
08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
went out yesterday with my buddy and his wife and my better half they were both on harleys ....everytime we stopped they sputtered and bucked ... spyder was fine ....

Jason
08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
My Spyder seems to be a little cold blooded and has to warm up for a while before it is ready to ride. If I take off before it sits and idles for 5-10 minutes it really sputters a lot and come close to stalling.

I did not worry about this much as my Harley was the same way. When I took it for servous though and mentioned this to my dealer he seemed to be shocked but has no idea what could be causing it.

Do any of you fellow Spyder-Peeps have the same issue or have any idea what it could be?:dontknow:

Hey Bigdave,

Yes, mine does the same thing. If I don't wait for at least 1 bar, mine sputters and the hindle pop's from time to time. It sometimes does it on occasion even if I have 1 bar and take off. If I wait for 2 bars, its golden.

Jason

mrfilovirus
08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I always wait for 2 bars or it does the same thing.

NancysToy
08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Same here, one bar in warm weather, two in cold. I can get away with taking off sooner if I pay close attention and use the clutch a lot. My wife is less experienced, and needs it to warm up. Most bike I have owned will do this. My BMW RT even has a choke-like throttle enrichment lever to start it (think fast idle) yet it has to warm up before taking off, and get a bar or two on the gauge before turning the enrichment lever all the way off. If you want fun, try an old Triumph, with ticklers but no chokes, in 40 degree weather. Just something we have to get used to. As I recall, the owner's manual says to let it warm up.
-Scotty

ataDude
08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Same here, one bar in warm weather, two in cold. I can get away with taking off sooner if I pay close attention and use the clutch a lot. My wife is less experienced, and needs it to warm up. Most bike I have owned will do this. My BMW RT even has a choke-like throttle enrichment lever to start it (think fast idle) yet it has to warm up before taking off, and get a bar or two on the gauge before turning the enrichment lever all the way off. If you want fun, try an old Triumph, with ticklers but no chokes, in 40 degree weather. Just something we have to get used to. As I recall, the owner's manual says to let it warm up.
-Scotty

Or a Valkyrie with six carbs, six enricheners and one cable. In the winter, it is the most cold-natured bike I've had. :thumbup:

bigdave18629
08-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks everyone, looks like it is a pretty common issue.

Just picked mine from service and the shop said that the new 2009 software will have an update in it that will re-map the computer and may help the issue. While this may not be a big issue, sounds like BRP is aware of it and may be taking some steps to improve it. Right now I am glad it is not a problem with my Spydie

IdleUp
08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Mine quit sputtering at 1000 miles then just like magic at 1200 miles it started doing it again - I never should have posted it quit doing it!:dontknow:

jeuchler
08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Same here, one bar in warm weather, two in cold.

Mine is exactly the same story.

My routine is now I open the trunk, start the Spyder, then fiddle around packing it and getting helmet and gloves and glasses on, etc, while it warms up a bit.

I still am delighted that the Spyder allows me to be lazy and not bother with a temperamental choke...

NancysToy
08-21-2008, 06:23 PM
My routine is now I open the trunk, start the Spyder, then fiddle around packing it and getting helmet and gloves and glasses on, etc, while it warms up a bit.
Good reason to have a working parking brake! OK, so that may be another can of worms, but BRP has announced a cure for those that need it.
-Scotty

kma10-4
08-22-2008, 03:20 AM
same here .play with clutch.when cold..harder for wife to ride when cold
warm to 1 bar:agree:

Jeff in Dallas
08-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Same problem here. However, I do not wait for it to warm up before I ride. I just have to be more thoughtful with the clutch and throttle. I leave the house early in morning and don't want the Spyder running in the garage waking up the family (or neighbors). Would like a fix for this.

OTOH, I never have had to warm up my Harley. It has never stalled, coughed or sputtered, regardless of the outside temp. Just start it up and go.

You would think such a technical marvel as the Spyder would not have this problem. Same with the brake squeal, which is embarrassing...

Good thing I love it so much, in spite of the flaws!! ;)

IdleUp
08-22-2008, 07:56 AM
The only problem is that it will do the same thing even when hot right after a start . . .