PDA

View Full Version : New 2014 RT Key Won't Turn!

k143clen
03-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Hi. I was stranded today on my brand new (175 miles) 2014 RT! When I stopped for the first refueling, I couldn't get the seat latch to unhook by pressing down on the key and turning it. Then, when I attempted to restart the bike, the key wouldn't turn at all! I attempted several times to re-insert the key, jiggle it, and checked that the seat may have not been latched properly. While my husband rode home to get the extra key, I called the dealership and was told this was a known issue! Several hours later, the tow truck came to take my new, expensive toy back to the dealership for service -- more than 50 miles away. Although the fellow at the dealership was nice, he also said that the dealership may not cover the towing costs (above the warranty coverage)! Has anyone else heard of this happening or experienced it first-hand? Before you ask, I read the manual prior to riding, and everything worked perfectly at the dealership a couple of weeks ago. Plus, I had plenty of time to look up possible causes and solutions on the internet while waiting for the tow. Nothing worked. I'm concerned that I've made a costly mistake in purchasing a Can Am. But, I'm more concerned about getting stranded, especially since we like to ride in the Texas Hill Country far, far from any dealerships. I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has heard of this happening or may have suggestions. Thanks!

NancysToy
03-22-2014, 10:51 PM
You should have received two extra years of warranty coverage on the BEST plan for RTs purchased before April. That would include road service coverage. Ask your dealer why your BEST doesn't cover it...or why you didn't receive the BEST promotion.

MidTNDawg
03-22-2014, 11:03 PM
"I called the dealership and was told this was a known issue!"

As it is known, I believe BRP will cover the costs. As an option, the dealer could have sent a tech, but it is cheaper foe them to bring it in. Let us know, but they should cover cost.

jerpinoy
03-23-2014, 12:11 AM
Sorry to what happened, please let us know how or what cause this problem.

SpyRyd
03-23-2014, 03:35 AM
Sorry to what happened, please let us know how or what cause this problem.

Not really sure it is a "known issue". Don't believe I've read another post about this problem from the 14 RT owners on here? Hope the dealer solves the problem and that it is a simple fix so your confidence in the product is restored. Please post about the fix to help inform us all. Thanks and good luck.

SAPD911
03-23-2014, 04:20 AM
they cover up to $200, you foot the rest.

murphybrown
03-23-2014, 06:08 AM
I have never heard of this issue before. Issues are usually posted on Spyderlovers right away . As this is the site for all things Spyder.
The BEST roadside is not unlimited..$200 max. You pay the rest. That is why I have AAA premier RV .. But they have 200 mile limit. Very satisfied with AAA..although if out of your state. You need to be willing to spend time educating the person you reach for roadside...
for that reason I am replacing AAA with Good Sam..better coverage no ? When in other state or Canada..
please keep us updated on your issue..did your tech have a service bulletin? Known issue with BRP results in a service bulletin.
NOW to welcome you to Spyderlivers and loving the ryde..:yes::yes:

Bob Denman
03-23-2014, 08:22 AM
This is a new one in here... :dontknow:
Please let us know what they find... and B.E.S.T. should be on the hook for that towing bill.

murphybrown
03-23-2014, 10:06 AM
This is a new one in here... :dontknow:
Please let us know what they find... and B.E.S.T. should be on the hook for that towing bill.

I just cannot believe that you still have THAT word in your vocabulary!!!! :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie: What word?..SHOULD :roflblack: and then it's "friends"..could've and would've!!! Yep you just end up shoulding all over yourself. :yikes: and that is a stinky mess to clean up!!! Hey have a great day....31' here again...but sun shines...so Ms Spyder rolls!!:yes:

Bob Denman
03-23-2014, 10:08 AM
:shocked: I think that I just should myself... :D
It's probably the insurance agent training: NEVER speak in absolutes!
It'll come back to bite you in court!

Blue Star
03-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Hi. I was stranded today on my brand new (175 miles) 2014 RT! When I stopped for the first refueling, I couldn't get the seat latch to unhook by pressing down on the key and turning it. Then, when I attempted to restart the bike, the key wouldn't turn at all! I attempted several times to re-insert the key, jiggle it, and checked that the seat may have not been latched properly. While my husband rode home to get the extra key, I called the dealership and was told this was a known issue! Several hours later, the tow truck came to take my new, expensive toy back to the dealership for service -- more than 50 miles away. Although the fellow at the dealership was nice, he also said that the dealership may not cover the towing costs (above the warranty coverage)! Has anyone else heard of this happening or experienced it first-hand? Before you ask, I read the manual prior to riding, and everything worked perfectly at the dealership a couple of weeks ago. Plus, I had plenty of time to look up possible causes and solutions on the internet while waiting for the tow. Nothing worked. I'm concerned that I've made a costly mistake in purchasing a Can Am. But, I'm more concerned about getting stranded, especially since we like to ride in the Texas Hill Country far, far from any dealerships. I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has heard of this happening or may have suggestions. Thanks!

Over 4500 miles on two 2014 test RT's, and never had a problem with the key. Like others, this is the first time I have heard of this, so sounds like the dealer did not know what he/she was talking about.

SAPD911
03-23-2014, 10:57 AM
thought I read something in a post where a key didn't work or got stuck.

ulflyer
03-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Mine doesn't insert smoothly; wants to stick the last 1/4 inch or so. Am thinking of putting a little dielectric grease on it and working that in to see if that makes it better. I believe i read Lamont, or someone, mentioned sticky keys or some such.

billybovine
03-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Mine doesn't insert smoothly; wants to stick the last 1/4 inch or so. Am thinking of putting a little dielectric grease on it and working that in to see if that makes it better. I believe i read Lamont, or someone, mentioned sticky keys or some such.

I think this is the thread you're talking about. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64010-IPS-and-2014-key&highlight=2014+stuck

Bigman
03-24-2014, 03:56 AM
[Q:sour:UOTE=k143clen;779263]Hi. I was stranded today on my brand new (175 miles) 2014 RT! When I stopped for the first refueling, I couldn't get the seat latch to unhook by pressing down on the key and turning it. Then, when I attempted to restart the bike, the key wouldn't turn at all! I attempted several times to re-insert the key, jiggle it, and checked that the seat may have not been latched properly. While my husband rode home to get the extra key, I called the dealership and was told this was a known issue! Several hours later, the tow truck came to take my new, expensive toy back to the dealership for service -- more than 50 miles away. Although the fellow at the dealership was nice, he also said that the dealership may not cover the towing costs (above the warranty coverage)! Has anyone else heard of this happening or experienced it first-hand? Before you ask, I read the manual prior to riding, and everything worked perfectly at the dealership a couple of weeks ago. Plus, I had plenty of time to look up possible causes and solutions on the internet while waiting for the tow. Nothing worked. I'm concerned that I've made a costly mistake in purchasing a Can Am. But, I'm more concerned about getting stranded, especially since we like to ride in the Texas Hill Country far, far from any dealerships. I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has heard of this happening or may have suggestions. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yelhelp
03-24-2014, 05:48 AM
[Q:sour:UOTE=k143clen;779263]Hi. I was stranded today on my brand new (175 miles) 2014 RT! When I stopped for the first refueling, I couldn't get the seat latch to unhook by pressing down on the key and turning it. Then, when I attempted to restart the bike, the key wouldn't turn at all! I attempted several times to re-insert the key, jiggle it, and checked that the seat may have not been latched properly. While my husband rode home to get the extra key, I called the dealership and was told this was a known issue! Several hours later, the tow truck came to take my new, expensive toy back to the dealership for service -- more than 50 miles away. Although the fellow at the dealership was nice, he also said that the dealership may not cover the towing costs (above the warranty coverage)! Has anyone else heard of this happening or experienced it first-hand? Before you ask, I read the manual prior to riding, and everything worked perfectly at the dealership a couple of weeks ago. Plus, I had plenty of time to look up possible causes and solutions on the internet while waiting for the tow. Nothing worked. I'm concerned that I've made a costly mistake in purchasing a Can Am. But, I'm more concerned about getting stranded, especially since we like to ride in the Texas Hill Country far, far from any dealerships. I would certainly like to hear from anyone who has heard of this happening or may have suggestions. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I have never seen this stated as a "known problem". I have worked in the locksmith trade for 25 years and as a locksmith I have had concerns that unlocking these Seat and the frunk with the ignition could cause a problem. Because it could cause a key to get bent/twisted. If that happens because the tolerance in an ignition is tight the key may not work in the ignition. A word of caution do not use grease as stated above , only a silicone base lubricant, never something like WD40 or grease.

ulflyer
03-24-2014, 07:18 AM
I have never seen this stated as a "known problem". I have worked in the locksmith trade for 25 years and as a locksmith I have had concerns that unlocking these Seat and the frunk with the ignition could cause a problem. Because it could cause a key to get bent/twisted. If that happens because the tolerance in an ignition is tight the key may not work in the ignition. A word of caution do not use grease as stated above , only a silicone base lubricant, never something like WD40 or grease.[/QUOTE]

Too late. Already used the dielectric grease and it didn't make any difference. Tumblers, or whatever they are, simply feel rough. Maybe they'll wear in after awhile.

spyderyderjim
03-26-2014, 08:57 AM

The tether works for my 2014 RT.
Put wire behind upper side panel for seat emergency release.
Sunday a guy Terry I met with a 2014 RT-L could NOT open either Frunk or Seat with the key.
Enjoy rides, 2014 RT 1330 motor has awesome torque!
Jim

k143clen
03-27-2014, 03:50 PM

So, it would appear that there have been only four other instances of this occurance, nation-wide, according to the dealer's hot-line conversation with the company techs. The dealership believes the problem is with the ignition cylinder. They have to replace the whole ignition assembly and everything connected to it! So, I'll be without my new toy for at least another week or so. What makes it more difficult to accept is that I'm about to make my first payment on it and it's not even in my possession! However, I'm fortuate that it's all warranty work. We have yet to discuss the towing bill. I do have BEST coverage -- will keep you posted. Thanks so much for all the notes. I have to admit that I'm wary now. However, my husband thinks it's just a fluke and all will be well. I'm hoping that once I get it back and get to enjoy it, my feelings will change. My husband has had his Goldwing for several years (and other Hondas before that) with absolutely no problems. :( He was the one who encouraged me to get a Spyder over a Honda trike. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks again -- this forum is a great resource.

wjplendl
06-01-2014, 12:10 AM
WELL MINE JUST LEFT ME STRANDED THE OTHER NIGHT TRIED EVERYTHINK AND THE KEY WOULD NOT TURN ON.. THE DEALER HAD NO CLUE WHAT WAS WRONG, BUT THE LITTLE BLACK TAG WITH THE KEYS HAD A NUMBER ON IT. COME TO FIND OUT THERE IS A SERVICE BULLETIN ON IT AND ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GRIND THE TOP PART OF THE KEY NEXT TO THE RUBBER PART DOWN SO THE KEY WOULD GO IN FURTHER, THEY DID THE SAME TO BOTH KEYS AND THEY WORKED FINE AFTER THAT. THE COMPANY SHOULD HAVE NOTIFIED ME BEFORE I GOT STRANDED ABOUT THIS AND THAT PART BOTHERS ME. THIS IS MY 2ND CAN AM SPYDER HAD A 2012 AND NOW THE 2014. SO EVERY OWNER OF THE 2014 RT OR RTS SHOULD CONTACTED THERE DEALER ABOUT THIS ISSUE OR YOU WILL END UP BEING STRANDED AND TOWED. FIRST ONE DELIVERED IN TEXAS IN JAN. 2014 ONLY HAD 700 MILES ON IT WITH NO PROBLEM WITH THE KEY BEFORE......................

NZSpyderRyder
06-01-2014, 01:02 AM
I'm sure I read a thread a while back about key & ignition switch problems, wasn't there a recall by BRP on the issue, I'm sure I wasn't dreaming.
Some spyderlovers contacted their dealers with the vin. no to check whether their spyder was part of this recall.

cuznjohn
06-01-2014, 02:14 AM
my key is a lil hard to get in and a lil hard to turn but it has not gotten stuck on me

PMK
06-01-2014, 05:39 AM
WELL MINE JUST LEFT ME STRANDED THE OTHER NIGHT TRIED EVERYTHINK AND THE KEY WOULD NOT TURN ON.. THE DEALER HAD NO CLUE WHAT WAS WRONG, BUT THE LITTLE BLACK TAG WITH THE KEYS HAD A NUMBER ON IT. COME TO FIND OUT THERE IS A SERVICE BULLETIN ON IT AND ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GRIND THE TOP PART OF THE KEY NEXT TO THE RUBBER PART DOWN SO THE KEY WOULD GO IN FURTHER, THEY DID THE SAME TO BOTH KEYS AND THEY WORKED FINE AFTER THAT. THE COMPANY SHOULD HAVE NOTIFIED ME BEFORE I GOT STRANDED ABOUT THIS AND THAT PART BOTHERS ME. THIS IS MY 2ND CAN AM SPYDER HAD A 2012 AND NOW THE 2014. SO EVERY OWNER OF THE 2014 RT OR RTS SHOULD CONTACTED THERE DEALER ABOUT THIS ISSUE OR YOU WILL END UP BEING STRANDED AND TOWED. FIRST ONE DELIVERED IN TEXAS IN JAN. 2014 ONLY HAD 700 MILES ON IT WITH NO PROBLEM WITH THE KEY BEFORE......................

Somewhere I have the SB list of key numbers that are in the effective group. You are the first to mention trimming the rubber portion to correct this. The dealers I have spoken with, state to comply with the SB, it requires an entire new key set and locks.

PK

PMK
06-01-2014, 05:41 AM
my key is a lil hard to get in and a lil hard to turn but it has not gotten stuck on me

If you want, try brushing a stainless wire brush over the key in the cut area to remove sharp spots and burrs. I did this to one of our keys and it smoother it out. Also, I used a light oil and lubed the locks.

PK

MarCarl
06-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Hey, thanks for the tip. I had that problem with mine, spent a good half hour trying to get it to turn when I first got it,, after that only 75% of the time, sometimes took 30 sec, other times 5 -10 trys, but now I've filed the shoulder back a bit and it seems to work flawlessly.

rev.rr
06-02-2014, 12:21 PM
If your key goes in a little sticky get some key and lock spray I used Houdini spray and lock it goes in like like a hot knife in butter now. Dealer said there was no recall on mine but took the four digit number of the key cover and will get back to me