PDA

View Full Version : GPS - OEM Best Bet?

Bogeyjoe
03-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Greetings,

Hoping to again learn from fellow SPYDERLOVERS - Looking to add a GPS to my 2014 RT S. Is the brand/model and harness available from my Can Am dealer the best bet?

harrypottar
03-22-2014, 09:22 PM
You will get lots and lots of different opinions on GPS systems here. Everything from iPhone, iPad, cheap car GPS in plastic bags to paper clips on a string hovering over a mad map.

First off decide on a budget, that's normally a good starting point, personally I've always been a huge fan of Garmin GPS devices. Also I'm an advocate of the right tool for the right job.

The Garmin Zumo range is designed for motorbikes, waterproof, shock proof with all the bells and whistles but your going to in for just under 1000$ with BRP mount.

shop around for the Zumo 660 or 665, I've seen the mount sell on eBay for a fair price.

the Zumo 660 is the model BRP sells, the 665 is the same but as XM satellite radio built in.

You can also add ram mounts with a whole host of holders to hold your smart phone with GPS APP, relatively cheaply. You can buy a very cheap car GPS, it won't be waterproof but others have put baggies over them and consider them cheap enough to replace if they break.

Can you wire the mount up yourself or do you need the dealer to do it? Some times pays to buy from the dealer if they have to install.

Harry

Bob Denman
03-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Harry's right...
It integrates with the bike. :thumbup:
But it ain't cheap! :shocked:
I've got one on my Limited; but I'd probably pop for a 660 as an addition to an RT, if I had to add one.
AFTER looking at all of the possible setups first! :D
As they say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF2UrYSDb3k

finless
03-23-2014, 05:49 PM
I bought a use Garmin Nuvi 775T for $80.
It's basically a Zumo dressed as a car GPS. It's one of the few car GPS' by Garmin that do the proper hands free Bluetooth paring.
The only others are the 755T and 765T. Same as the 775T just less memory.

I got that tip from the Sena web site FAQ on GPS Bluetooth pearing and they listed those Garmin's as compatible.
The cool thing is it also has lifetime traffic which I don't believe the Zumo has?

WAY cheaper than a Zumo!

Bob

Bob Denman
03-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Bob,
Are they, "waterproof"? :dontknow:

PMK
03-23-2014, 06:41 PM
FWIW, I am up to 5 Garmin units. I have two that are outdoor styles used for hiking and with a mount for cycling. One is an E-Trex Vista HC, and the other is an E-Trex Vista HCX with the more sensitive receiver. I also have two Nuvi automotive units. The latest was gift from my mom to update my older Nuvi.

When we were purchasing the Spyder, I was fine to not go with the oem GPS setup of 660 and the mount kit. The wife was the one that said she wanted it. So, it arrived in a box, with crappy instructions, but overall was a pretty basic install.

Being familiar with Garmins, the 660 is pretty straight forward and the package works well. It does have Can Am specific items preloaded. I hope it does have lifetime map upgrades or I will be a bit irked, time will tell on that since I have heard various opinions.

So, what was the plan if I did not go 660. I was considering the possibility of using a newer large screen hiking Garmin, obtain the current maps from "Open Street Maps" and contend with loading those maps into the unit. Not normally a super easy task, but not impossible once you understand it. Plus, it gives you maps, anywhere in the world...free, if you can sort it out. (FWIW, luckily I was able to get Open Street Maps loaded for our trip to Ireland last summer. Loaded a Nuvi and an E-Trex with the same map set. Both worked like a champ. Saved my bacon too, since the rental car was reserved with a Garmin, but none were available when we arrived)

I have heard the desert truck racers use Magellans. Supposedly a bit less user friendly, but better performance in harsh conditions. Have not researched it. Just an idea.

Overall, the oem setup does what it should, you get a decent unit and install, Garmin and Bombardier make a profit. One complaint would be direct sunlight. Garmin can say what they want, but it is difficult to see the screen in some lighting conditions. I need to make a glaresheild or buy one. The location is a contributing factor. I almost wish the unit could be panel mounted in a tray, popped out when needed to be stored. Kind of like an AirGizmos tray we use in small airplanes. With the oem display and a Garmin beside it, it would have a two tube EFIS look sort of.

http://www.airgizmos.com/496-Panel-Dock_p_8.html

If you do your own install, one tool you may need to purchase will be the 3/8 drive allen tools. You will need both a 7mm and an 8mm.

PK

finless
03-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Bob,
Are they, "waterproof"? :dontknow:

Nope but that is easily resolved with a after market case which costs about $15.
Also I am in SoCal... You know the song ;)

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Greetings,

Hoping to again learn from fellow SPYDERLOVERS - Looking to add a GPS to my 2014 RT S. Is the brand/model and harness available from my Can Am dealer the best bet?
Harry hit it dead on with the comment about different opinions!

Take a look at my posting about my GPS project. The GPS mounting kit is available from BRP, or you can get just the harness by itself and make your own mounting system. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64013-Using-a-non-BRP-GPS-Part-1 Actually, I think the audio connection for a GPS is already on the bike for 2014.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with the Sygic app for a GPS. No, it's not weatherproof but the shade I made for it protected it quite well in a hard rain last fall on my Goldwing. It's large, easy to see, and the price was right.

shelbydave
03-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Lot's of good advice on here... I'll tell you my personal experience / feelings.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 205 - real cheap, older model.
I bought a RAM mount, and installed it on the RT, and hooked the audio into the bike so I can get the audio into the helmets

It works fine.

The downside.
It's not waterproof. On a trip back from Savannah last year, the GPS quit working. Water had got in there, and corroded some contacts.
It's not as simple to "pop off" and on as the BRP Zumo.
If I want it "waterproof" I need to either buy a case, which won't fit where I currently have my unit, or use a ziplock bag, which makes using the GPS hard due to reflections of the bag.

When I have the funds, I'll spring for a Zumo. Not sure if I would get it from BRP, but I want one that is waterproof, easily removed from the bike, and easily integrated into my comm system.

Bogeyjoe
03-24-2014, 05:01 PM
I appreciate the feedback, at this point it looks like the Garmin 660 with harness, cover, and case from Amazon.

PMK
03-24-2014, 06:28 PM
I appreciate the feedback, at this point it looks like the Garmin 660 with harness, cover, and case from Amazon.

Not sure how you plan to package this up. Buy the entire plug and play from Bombardier or piece the items together.

If you piece it together, ensure your Garmin has LM in the part number, for lifetime map updates.

Buying separate appears to save a couple hundred dollars.

649 for a 660lm and less than 200 for a mount kit for simple handlebars.

PK

PMK
03-24-2014, 08:28 PM
I want to add that the option from Bombardier has a Garmin model 660. The manual state 660. So it would appear that it is not a Liftime Map version HOWEVER when compared to my other Garmin models in Garmin Express, the Zumo 660 from Bombardier says maps are up to date with no option to purchase map updates. Every other Garmin with no lifetime maps, provides a selection to upgrade.

In summary, while the 660 from Bombardier does not initially appear to have Lifetime Maps via the suppiled Bombardier documents, Garmin seems to indicate that it does, at least for now.

PK

PMK
03-24-2014, 10:42 PM
There was a little separate piece of paper in the plastic bag from BRP/Garmin that the 660 manual came in that stated the 660 does come with life time updates to the maps. I assume they changed their policy after the manual was printed so that is how they amended it.

I just did a double check for the addendum paperwork. None to be found in my Garmin stuff. Ideally, this has been ongoing for a while to include Lifetime Maps.

I did forget to mention all the extra Ram mounts, car mounts, extra cables that come with the BRP setup. I installed the more commonly shown BRP tilting mount.

PK