PDA

View Full Version : First Spring Ride

oldguyinTX
03-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Got the RT back today after 17 days in the shop. Had the 2013-9 work done, some hoses & clamps were replaced, exhaust got wrapped, and a SmoothSpyder belt tensioner was installed. Temp was about 58, and I rode about 60 highway miles at 70mph to get it really warmed up. There is a BIG difference in the way the :spyder2: runs. The ECM update seems to have given it a bit more pep, it definitely runs smoother, and the exhaust note seems deeper. When I got home and put it into the garage there were no more gas fumes, and no excessive heat like there was before, thanks to the exhaust wrap. The SmoothSpyder :bowdown::bowdown: is worth every penny. No more shuddering when starting from a stop, or when downshifting to pass on the highway. If you don't have one, get one. :yes::yes::yes: The real test for the heat will be when (if ever) it gets hot here. Snow again in the forecast for Tuesday. :yikes:

GMac
03-24-2014, 01:51 PM
I took mine out Saturday as well for about three hours. I'd forgotten just how much I missed it (I was able to sneak in a ride one day in December, but this was my first since then). Maybe we can meet sometime and take a ride together when it finally decides to REALLY warm up!

Got the RT back today after 17 days in the shop. Had the 2013-9 work done, some hoses & clamps were replaced, exhaust got wrapped, and a SmoothSpyder belt tensioner was installed. Temp was about 58, and I rode about 60 highway miles at 70mph to get it really warmed up. There is a BIG difference in the way the :spyder2: runs. The ECM update seems to have given it a bit more pep, it definitely runs smoother, and the exhaust note seems deeper. When I got home and put it into the garage there were no more gas fumes, and no excessive heat like there was before, thanks to the exhaust wrap. The SmoothSpyder :bowdown::bowdown: is worth every penny. No more shuddering when starting from a stop, or when downshifting to pass on the highway. If you don't have one, get one. :yes::yes::yes: The real test for the heat will be when (if ever) it gets hot here. Snow again in the forecast for Tuesday. :yikes:

grumpybob
03-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Congrats to both of you for getting a ride in. Cold & snow here in upstate NY. Hope it is not to long for us to get a ride in.

Bob Ledford
03-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Will whomever misplaced spring go find it and put it back

ARtraveler
03-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Glad to hear you are ryding again. Hoping that the fixes give you a great season of rydes. :thumbup:

Dan McNally
03-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Will whomever misplaced spring go find it and put it back

Amen to that! Snow coming, tomorrow, again!

oldguyinTX
03-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I took mine out Saturday as well for about three hours. I'd forgotten just how much I missed it (I was able to sneak in a ride one day in December, but this was my first since then). Maybe we can meet sometime and take a ride together when it finally decides to REALLY warm up!

You are about 1 1/2 hours from me, so we will have to do some planning. Are you by any chance going to Spyderquest (Not Spyderfest) in Lake George NY September 11-13? My wife & I are going, and knowing how many clothes and pairs of shoes she brings, we will probably end up pulling our trailer. By all accounts, last year's event was a big hit. I don't know if the Comfort Inn & Suites has any discounted rooms left, but if you are interested, call them at 518-761-0001 and mention Spyderquest. You cannot do it online.The deal price is $85/night, quite a savings. Price I got for 3 nights with tax was $283.05. Hope to see you on the road.

Vidman
03-24-2014, 03:29 PM
You are about 1 1/2 hours from me, so we will have to do some planning. Are you by any chance going to Spyderquest (Not Spyderfest) in Lake George NY September 11-13? My wife & I are going, and knowing how many clothes and pairs of shoes she brings, we will probably end up pulling our trailer. By all accounts, last year's event was a big hit. I don't know if the Comfort Inn & Suites has any discounted rooms left, but if you are interested, call them at 518-761-0001 and mention Spyderquest. You cannot do it online.The deal price is $85/night, quite a savings. Price I got for 3 nights with tax was $283.05. Hope to see you on the road.

GMan and I have been planning on hooking up when my new RT comes in later this month or April. I am from Htfd area. Hopefully the bunch of us can hook up.

My wife and I are registered at the host hotel for SpyderQuest. Hopefully GMan and his wife are going.

Chuck

oldguyinTX
03-24-2014, 06:32 PM
GMan and I have been planning on hooking up when my new RT comes in later this month or April. I am from Htfd area. Hopefully the bunch of us can hook up.

My wife and I are registered at the host hotel for SpyderQuest. Hopefully GMan and his wife are going.

Chuck

We should all try to hook up at least for the ryde to Spyderquest, if not before. Lots of time between now and September!! Went out today for a couple of hours before tomorrow's snow.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

spydaman60
03-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Congrats to both of you for getting a ride in. Cold & snow here in upstate NY. Hope it is not to long for us to get a ride in.bob, we were on "tug hill" sledding this weekend and there are still 8 to 10 foot snow piles by our cabin. no spring in sight up there!:(

GMac
03-25-2014, 12:33 PM
It's too early to say if we're going this year. I was actually laid off back in October, so it's going to depend on if I can find a job before then (no luck yet!) and if so, whether I can get a couple of days off. I'd LOVE to go again but not taking bets either way.

I'll ride anywhere, anytime (well, once it decides it's actually spring and stays above 50) so let me know when you want to get together and if we don't have other plans, we'll make it happen!

GMac
03-25-2014, 12:36 PM
I knew you said you were here (on SpyderLovers) but I didn't know this was you!

We went to SpyderQuest last year, but whether or not we make it this year is going to depend on the job situation (I was laid off back in October). I'm hopeful we can make it, but won't be placing any bets one way or the other. It was a GREAT time last year though so I know you'll have a good time!

Chuck

GMac
03-25-2014, 12:38 PM
I went just for a day last year and enjoyed it. That's where I had my seat put on (and ordered some prescription sunglasses that are GREAT) and this year I'm thinking of getting some lights installed. I won't have a 2014 like the two of you so I have to shine in some other way!!! ;)

We should all try to hook up at least for the ryde to Spyderquest, if not before. Lots of time between now and September!! Went out today for a couple of hours before tomorrow's snow.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Vidman
03-25-2014, 12:44 PM
I went just for a day last year and enjoyed it. That's where I had my seat put on (and ordered some prescription sunglasses that are GREAT) and this year I'm thinking of getting some lights installed. I won't have a 2014 like the two of you so I have to shine in some other way!!! ;)

You got the best of the 998's. Most trouble free. I can only hope mine will be the same.

oldguyinTX
03-25-2014, 01:07 PM

Hey GMan, what is Americade? Could you please post some info on this? I'll make any excuse for a nice long ryde. Thanks

GMac
03-25-2014, 01:12 PM
I don't know if it's the biggest one close to us, but if not it has to be close. LOTS of vendors and things to do. Last year I went by myself and had already ordered my Ultimate seat so I rode up to have them install it (since I'm NOT mechanical - at all). Most people spend a night or two (or stay for the entire thing). I'd never seen so many bikes in one place in my life - and there weren't a lot of Spyders, I certainly wasn't the only one that had one. It's up in Lake George, very close to where SpyderQuest was held last year.

Here's link if you want to take a look: http://www.americade.com/

Hey GMan, what is Americade? Could you please post some info on this? I'll make any excuse for a nice long ryde. Thanks

oldguyinTX
03-25-2014, 01:21 PM
I don't know if it's the biggest one close to us, but if not it has to be close. LOTS of vendors and things to do. Last year I went by myself and had already ordered my Ultimate seat so I rode up to have them install it (since I'm NOT mechanical - at all). Most people spend a night or two (or stay for the entire thing). I'd never seen so many bikes in one place in my life - and there weren't a lot of Spyders, I certainly wasn't the only one that had one. It's up in Lake George, very close to where SpyderQuest was held last year.

Here's link if you want to take a look: http://www.americade.com/

Thanks a lot. I will take a look.