PDA

View Full Version : 6 feet, 5.5 inches, 245 lbs. and gotta get one!

StSpyder09
08-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Hello to All,

I recently saw my first Spyder at T & W Flea Market in Pensacola, Florida. I was awe-struck. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, next to the Yellow Lamborghini I had the opportunity to drive when I was stationed at RAF Greenham Common.

I've never been a "car or bike enthusiast." I've never ridden a motor cycle. I drive an '06 Mit. Endeavor, which I let the rainfall wash.

They say you'll know when the "right one" comes along. Well all I can say is "But Momma, I Love Her":bowdown::spyder:

All I need now is a means of making enough money to afford her. I ain't say'n she's a gold digger, but...

Besides the lack of funds situation, which I'm sure I can eventually find a way to get past, I have a more permanent issue. I'm 6 feet, 5.5 inches, 240+or- pounds. How comfortable can the :spyder: be made to be for "Real Men?":)

Are any of you having space issues like, legs bent too much, back bent too far, or elbows not extended far enough?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, and I really look forward to becoming a legitimate, "bona fied" member in '09.

Street:spyder:'09

Lamonster
08-21-2008, 02:58 AM
welcome
I'm just a little guy (5'11") and the Spyder fits me pretty good. I know there are a few "real men" on here that can give you some better advice on how they deal with being "real men" :doorag:

StSpyder09
08-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Hi Lamonster,

Thanks for the welcome.

This site is amazing Man:thumbup:

Is it your original creation? If so, I :bowdown:

And another :bowdown: for being able to admin. a site like this:clap::clap::clap:

Hope to someday ride with you all.

MUCH RESPECT!!!

MWKE
08-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Im 6' 1" 260 after my morning ritual....Ive logged 2000 miles in the past month without issue on a stock seat.....But I havent gone more than 150 miles in a Stretch....I think you should be fine....But every Body is Different....

NancysToy
08-21-2008, 07:54 AM
If Lamonster is a "little guy" at 5'11'', I'm right behind at 6'0". Can't speak directly to your situation. The best way to find the answer is to sit on one, preferably at great length. My wife is only 5'2", and had the same concerns. She sat on the demos at the dealerships so long that they almost had to dust her. In the end, she decided the fit was right, and is very happy with her Spyder. Fits me just as well. Also, review the old posts on the forums to see the aftermarket modifications that help people adapt to varying ergonomic needs. Things like highway pegs and handlebar risers. Time to try out a demo at a dealership. If you can't do the demo ride, just sit there until they kick you off. That should tell you what you need to know. Do it often, until you decide to buy.
-Scotty

Jason
08-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Hello to All,

I recently saw my first Spyder at T & W Flea Market in Pensacola, Florida. I was awe-struck. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, next to the Yellow Lamborghini I had the opportunity to drive when I was stationed at RAF Greenham Common.

I've never been a "car or bike enthusiast." I've never ridden a motor cycle. I drive an '06 Mit. Endeavor, which I let the rainfall wash.

They say you'll know when the "right one" comes along. Well all I can say is "But Momma, I Love Her":bowdown::spyder:

All I need now is a means of making enough money to afford her. I ain't say'n she's a gold digger, but...

Besides the lack of funds situation, which I'm sure I can eventually find a way to get past, I have a more permanent issue. I'm 6 feet, 5.5 inches, 240+or- pounds. How comfortable can the :spyder: be made to be for "Real Men?":)

Are any of you having space issues like, legs bent too much, back bent too far, or elbows not extended far enough?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, and I really look forward to becoming a legitimate, "bona fied" member in '09.

Hey Street Spyder,

I'm 6'1 1/2 and a shade under 250lbs myself. The only complaint I have about the Spyder is the leg cramping on longer rides. I have the same problem on just about any two-wheeled motorcycle with the stock position pegs. After about 1 1/2 hours, if I don't stretch out my legs they start to hurt.

The best remedy to this is to get the highway peg brackets and put a set of Kuryakyn pegs on. THat should fix the problem nicely!

Otherwise its a blast to ride, and its still humorous to watch the people looking at the Spyder as I ride by and watching them mouth words similar to "Hey look at that!", "What the #$&* is that?!" etc. :thumbup:

Keep your eyes out on BRP dealers in your area to see if they're having demo rides and try one out.

Jason

bigdave18629
08-21-2008, 09:34 AM
O.K. at 6' 7" and right at 300 lbs I may be the best qualified to answer your question about "real men" riding the Spyder:spyder:. I had the same concerns at first, took it for a test ride and found out that Andrew Bogette(not sure if that is spelled right) NBA player had just bought one.

I am a broken down former college athlete that is now out of shape with bad knees and and a bad back, not fat, just out of shape. The Spyder is far more comfortable than my Harley was. My legs do cramp a little if I am in the saddle for more than 2 hours but I am installing some highway pegs this weekend to see if a new leg position helps, other wise I find flexing my leg muscles a few times helps until I can stretch them out again.

I is hard to know what you are really dealing with on a test ride because they are pretty short.

Think of it this way, when you are our height you are cramped in a car, a plane, a truck, a bus and the Spyder:spyder: is far better than all of them. Go buy it and come join the group.:2thumbs:welcome

StSpyder09
08-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the response "Big Dave."

I'm a former college and U.S.A.F. basketball player myself. Not quite broke-down...yet, but Mom says, "Just Keep Living."

From everything I've read, seen and heard, I have no doubt the Spyder will be everything I could ever expect. And you are so right...I have been cramped on just about every type of vehicle you can name, including roller-coaster. I'm also just a little concerned about looking like a Circus Clown if the Spyder looks too small beneath me. I appreciate your dispelling that fear.

When you install your highway pegs, could you send me a pic so that I can see if they alter the awesome looks much.

Thanks again,

Street

StSpyder09
08-21-2008, 06:10 PM
If Lamonster is a "little guy" at 5'11'', I'm right behind at 6'0". Can't speak directly to your situation. The best way to find the answer is to sit on one, preferably at great length. My wife is only 5'2", and had the same concerns. She sat on the demos at the dealerships so long that they almost had to dust her. In the end, she decided the fit was right, and is very happy with her Spyder. Fits me just as well. Also, review the old posts on the forums to see the aftermarket modifications that help people adapt to varying ergonomic needs. Things like highway pegs and handlebar risers. Time to try out a demo at a dealership. If you can't do the demo ride, just sit there until they kick you off. That should tell you what you need to know. Do it often, until you decide to buy.
-Scotty

Hi Scotty,

My fear was having the same look you have on the Trike, when I'm on a Spyder. And I can't afford new knees after a new Spyder.
A message from Big Dave made me feel better about that fear. He has a couple of inches on me. Some of the other members also suggested the highway pegs. I once sat on a cruiser with highway pegs (when I first entertained the thought of a bike, in Chicago) and it was really comfortable. I appreciate all of the input from you guys. This is one cool community.

Thanks,

FANG
08-21-2008, 06:28 PM
welcome Am also in Pensacola, Really little guy 5' 9" greatest ryde ever. I never had a bike before either; got my endosement after taking the MSF course through Pensacola Motorsports and then made the :spyder:buy. When you get your give me asout so we can ryde. :yes::yes:

StSpyder09
08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
welcome Am also in Pensacola, Really little guy 5' 9" greatest ryde ever. I never had a bike before either; got my endosement after taking the MSF course through Pensacola Motorsports and then made the :spyder:buy. When you get your give me asout so we can ryde. :yes::yes:

Thanks wbbrn1952,

Dealer at PMS suggested I take the PJC course also.

I plan to be debt-free by Jan, '09, and saving to make my :spyder:purchase in order to have it for Christmas 2009 (wishful thinking, for 09,09 Birthday Present). I :pray:to only finance a small portion or buy it out-right. No...I don't have the formula for the latter quite worked out yet, but I'm going to make it happen.

The yellow :spyder: I saw at T&W had some nice mods. I took some photos. One of the coolest mods were the spider design pegs:2thumbs:. They were so cool, I thought, "If that were mine, I'd have to take those off on dirty trips."nojoke

What mods do you have?

I'm wanting my :spyder: for general daily use, short trips. My wife and I planned to get scooters as a part of our move to Pensacola:rolleyes:. Oh Well!

How much have you been riding lately, with all the rain we've been getting?

Trying to make an informed decision,

FANG
08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
St:spyder:09,

Purely stock at this time did have a 12v outlet installed at the dealer at set up. Have some decals I am going to put on soon. Budget tight after some medical problems. Let me know when you get your :spyder: and we will ryde. :2thumbs:

effgjamis
08-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Hello to All,

Well well.
I am 76 years of age.
I am 6'2.5" in height.
I am 265 lbs .
I have ordered the 4' risers from NMN.

I have no problem in the ride, if only my age would improve.

I am very arthritic, however, the ride presents no problem except my posture in the standard handlebar position is a bit painfull after a short ride, (hour or so). lBut I do feel that the risers will remove that issue.

have a great ride. its got the push and go for us little people.

bigdave18629
08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Go to this thread http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6911&hl= and look at the pics from ARANEAE, I have them on the way but do not have them yet. there are some other options here as well. With regard to looking like a circus clown, we get lots of attention at our height, the Spyder gets lots of attention. Put the two together and we will get noticed, but it is a big bike compared to most and I made my Harly look like a mini-bike.

NancysToy
08-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Think of it this way, when you are our height you are cramped in a car, a plane, a truck, a bus...
Hey guys, I think I found just the ride for you. Gunbus 410 ci Motorcycle (http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/07/09/gunbus-410-cubic-inch-v-twin-motorcycle-completed/)
-Scotty

StSpyder09
08-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Scotty,

But, it would really be the end of me if the fire department had to show up with a crane and or "the jaws of life" to lift that monster off me, after it crushed my knees at the stop-light:yikes:

And a :spyder: it's NOT!

St:spyder:'09

StSpyder09
08-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Go to this thread http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6911&hl= and look at the pics from ARANEAE, I have them on the way but do not have them yet. there are some other options here as well. With regard to looking like a circus clown, we get lots of attention at our height, the Spyder gets lots of attention. Put the two together and we will get noticed, but it is a big bike compared to most and I made my Harly look like a mini-bike.

Hi BigDave,

I went to the site and saw the pics. Thanks. The side shots showing the posture after the install of the risers and pegs were very helpful. The dealer here will install any accessories that are here when the :spyder: arrives. I read another member saying he ordered mods while waiting for the :spyder:. I think I'll do it that way also. Maybe then it won't be so painful to my pocket. And when I do finally get it I won't have to wish for any of the important mods.

Thanks again,

NancysToy
08-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Scotty,

But, it would really be the end of me if the fire department had to show up with a crane and or "the jaws of life" to lift that monster off me, after it crushed my knees at the stop-light:yikes:

I had my '47 Indian Chief fall over on me once as a young pup. Practicing spinning donuts with the old girl. I weighed about 125 lbs, so it won. I was trapped there in the yard under 800 pounds of motorcycle for several hours until my dad finally found me. He cracked up, and never let me live it down. Took him and two neighbors to get it off me. I wouldn't even walk near a monster like that Gunbus. The Spyder is the right choice!
-Scotty

fleet
08-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Hello to All,

This is "fleet" - And for a reference / setting the stage - I'm 6'3 / 280 / 54" upper body. I posted the other day about picking up my new SE5 Spyder in Rock Hill , SC . Here's a summary - Wife and I drove from the Atlanta area to Rock Hill ( outside of Charlotte ) , picked up my new ride, swapped out the sport windshield for a touring windshield ( 3" taller than the tallest Spyder touring windshield) and headed off down the backroads so I could vary my speeds ( break-in ). Aside from it raining like a bitch, being 6'3" and having to use the standard foot pegs was total misery for me after about 30 miles. The rain, wind blast coming from around the sides of the windshield, coupled with all the goo, mud and crap being thrown all over me from the oncoming 18 wheelers ( tire spray ) on a two lane road really sucked big ones. Needless to say, my adventure wasn't very pleasant. In fact, I ended up going to my mother's house in Laurens, SC - 80 miles from Rock Hill - and leaving the Spyder in her garage. Got back in with my wife and Mom and headed back to Atlanta. I'm getting a friend's trailer and going back to pick up Mr.Spyder next week.
Bottomline - Get the highway brackets / pegs, new comfy seat with backrest and 4" risers before you get your Spyder or be prepared for an unpleasant ride anywhere over 30 miles or so. I guess going to the store or short trip would be OK but trust me - unless you're a circus contortionist .... it gets really uncomfortable ... Fast - Or maybe I'm just a wuss. Even if it wasn't raining, the leg position isn't made for 6'2" plus sizes. Aside from my "personal" problems - the Spyder ran great !

bigdave18629
08-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I'll try it Scotty

bigdave18629
08-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi BigDave,

I went to the site and saw the pics. Thanks. The side shots showing the posture after the install of the risers and pegs were very helpful. The dealer here will install any accessories that are here when the :spyder: arrives. I read another member saying he ordered mods while waiting for the :spyder:. I think I'll do it that way also. Maybe then it won't be so painful to my pocket. And when I do finally get it I won't have to wish for any of the important mods.

Thanks again,

just got my peg mounts and installed them, they will be great. The ride is fine without them but being able to change positions will be a help. This is not a cruiser, but is not a sports bike either.

bigdave18629
08-23-2008, 11:14 PM
This is "fleet" - And for a reference / setting the stage - I'm 6'3 / 280 / 54" upper body. I posted the other day about picking up my new SE5 Spyder in Rock Hill , SC . Here's a summary - Wife and I drove from the Atlanta area to Rock Hill ( outside of Charlotte ) , picked up my new ride, swapped out the sport windshield for a touring windshield ( 3" taller than the tallest Spyder touring windshield) and headed off down the backroads so I could vary my speeds ( break-in ). Aside from it raining like a bitch, being 6'3" and having to use the standard foot pegs was total misery for me after about 30 miles. The rain, wind blast coming from around the sides of the windshield, coupled with all the goo, mud and crap being thrown all over me from the oncoming 18 wheelers ( tire spray ) on a two lane road really sucked big ones. Needless to say, my adventure wasn't very pleasant. In fact, I ended up going to my mother's house in Laurens, SC - 80 miles from Rock Hill - and leaving the Spyder in her garage. Got back in with my wife and Mom and headed back to Atlanta. I'm getting a friend's trailer and going back to pick up Mr.Spyder next week.
Bottomline - Get the highway brackets / pegs, new comfy seat with backrest and 4" risers before you get your Spyder or be prepared for an unpleasant ride anywhere over 30 miles or so. I guess going to the store or short trip would be OK but trust me - unless you're a circus contortionist .... it gets really uncomfortable ... Fast - Or maybe I'm just a wuss. Even if it wasn't raining, the leg position isn't made for 6'2" plus sizes. Aside from my "personal" problems - the Spyder ran great !

Hi Fleet and welcome to the board and the Spyder. I couldn't disagree with you more about the feet position or the risers. At 6' 7", a 54" chest and a 38" inseam, I don't think you will find a much bigger rider than I am. I am 42 and a broken down former collegiate b-ball player with bad knees, hips and back. I have ridden my Spyder many times for hours at a time and up to two hours doesnt seem to be much problem. I have also ridden bikes with the risers and find them to be far more uncomfortable than my ride with stock handle bars. I also personally don't like the high windshield, I bout the bike to be in the wind and would rather have it work me over at 80 than have the high windshield.

I am not arguing with you, you are entitled to your opinions. The bottom line is everyone should buy what they want and only modify the bike once they have had time to do comparisons. This bike is not a goldwing and never will be. It is a ride like no others and for those that appreciate it, nothing is better. With this said, I am sure that it is not for everyone.

St. Spyder, ride and enjoy, the only thing you must do is keep the rubber side down.

StSpyder09
08-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Well well.
I am 76 years of age.
I am 6'2.5" in height.
I am 265 lbs .
I have ordered the 4' risers from NMN.

I have no problem in the ride, if only my age would improve.

I am very arthritic, however, the ride presents no problem except my posture in the standard handlebar position is a bit painfull after a short ride, (hour or so). lBut I do feel that the risers will remove that issue.

have a great ride. its got the push and go for us little people.

Hi eff,

Man...76 years young. I:bowdown: eff. "Much Rrreespect!"

If God is willing, I will get there some 30 years from now. I'm 6'5.5" now, but I'll probably reach 6'2" by then if my Fathers shrinking pace is any indication of what's to come.

Yeah, the risers, highway brackets/pegs, and backrest are not optional (my posture is terrible, I need some lumbar support on any ryde). "Fleet" also mentioned a more comfortable seat. I sat on a :spyder: that had not been picked up, at the local dealership for a brief moment. The seat was wide, and seemed to be very comfortable. Are the aftermarket seats that much more comfortable?$$$

Peace,

StSpyder09
08-24-2008, 03:36 AM

Man...fleet, I'm sorry that your trip was :cus:. The good thing is that you found out without a doubt what you really needed on the :spyder:. Thanks for making your pain my gain. So that extra tall touring windshield doesn't catch goo, mud, and crap. Would the aftermarket seat you mentioned be that much more comfortable?

:congrats: on your purchase. It won't happen for me until '09.:(

Thanks,

St:spyder: '09

fleet
08-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Man...fleet, I'm sorry that your trip was :cus:. The good thing is that you found out without a doubt what you really needed on the :spyder:. Thanks for making your pain my gain. So that extra tall touring windshield doesn't catch goo, mud, and crap. Would the aftermarket seat you mentioned be that much more comfortable?

:congrats: on your purchase. It won't happen for me until '09.:(

Thanks,

St:spyder: '09

I really think it was a combination of everything - Driving to get there, rain, new toy acclimation with additional added complication factor - rain, trucks, goo etc.

Let me re-phrase the comment about the pegs:

" IMO.....The pegs may or may not be located at the optimal position on the Spyder to provide maximum comfort for those taller , larger, wider etc. riders. The installation of the highway bracket / pegs may or may not allow a more varied riding experience . The addition of seats w/backreats and risers also may or may not further enhance your riding pleasure". ;)

Is this disclaimer better for the other reponders ?
In any case , and IMO , I stand by my original comments.:yes:

bjt
08-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I like your disclaimer better as I am 6'4" tall, 240lbs. with a 36" inseam and I find the stock riding position pretty darn comfortable. I tried the highway peg brackets and didn't care for how wide I had to spread my legs to use them. For my 'alternate riding position' I just put my legs up on the plastic panels next to the trunk.

Greg H.
08-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I like your disclaimer better as I am 6'4" tall, 240lbs. with a 36" inseam and I find the stock riding position pretty darn comfortable. I tried the highway peg brackets and didn't care for how wide I had to spread my legs to use them. For my 'alternate riding position' I just put my legs up on the plastic panels next to the trunk.

You're a bit heavier. Other than that, our dimensions are about the same. I also have a 36" inseam. So; you aren't using a 1" riser on the bars, either?

bjt
08-24-2008, 09:00 AM
I have the 1" riser but I don't think it made that much difference for me. Basically, I just like the stock Spyder riding position. When I first got the Spyder, I was having a lot of knee pain and I found the Spyders stock riding position more comfortable for me than driving our Pontiac G6 or our Suburban.

fleet
08-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I too wondered if the highway bracket / pegs spread the riders legs too far apart. I think that I'm going to see if I can design a secondary bracket attachment that attaches to the advertised highway bracket and allows me to bring the pegs back farther , around the black plastic and in towards the body. I love little design projects like this and what do I have to lose ? That way , my legs / feet are further forward ... my rear / back is more vertical / supported by the Corbin back rest ... and with the 4" risers ( no risers now ) hopefully I can sit in a more upright position with feet forward of the existing pegs. Plus since I don't have a foot shifter, the only thing that I need to be able to get to quickly is the right side foot brake. As far as the wind blast is concerned, wind really doesn't bother me....I guess my biggest issue was constantly getting nuked by all nasty crap ( and I mean nasty ) coming from the oncoming 18 wheelers. There were hundreds of them. It hasn't really rained in our area for almost a month so you could imagine what was stuck on the road and made into "septic tank soup" when it rained.

mmmmm.... "septic tank soup" :2thumbs: Gotta go eat lunch now !

bjt
08-24-2008, 05:02 PM
I too wondered if the highway bracket / pegs spread the riders legs too far apart. I think that I'm going to see if I can design a secondary bracket attachment that attaches to the advertised highway bracket and allows me to bring the pegs back farther , around the black plastic and in towards the body. I love little design projects like this and what do I have to lose ?

Sure you can. They may end up looking something like this.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/e4cd0507.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/dcc4bcb7.jpg

ataDude
08-24-2008, 05:05 PM

You sure weld better than I do. Yours are pretty... mine are structurally sound. :dontknow:

bjt
08-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Lamonster is not the only one here who used to be a welder. :)

ataDude
08-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Lamonster is not the only one here who used to be a welder. :)

Ah ha. Now I get it. :2thumbs:

Funny, though, about Lamont. He and I were in the San Diego area at the same time... I was in Poway... about 15 miles north of where he was... and never had a chance to meet him when he was a working stiff. :D

fleet
08-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Excellent !!!

I wonder if your bracket was straight back - not doglegged and the pegs mounted backwards / reversed ( nut side out - right peg on left side and vice versa) would it look too strange ?

Then put one of those round black plastic decorative caps over the nuts to give it a finished look - Maybe put nut side out on both bolts with decorative caps to make it look like it came that way ..... who knows ? I'll try it and either send ya'll a photo or go back to the drawing board.

effgjamis
08-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Are the aftermarket seats that much more comfortable?$$$

Peace,

Don't Know, as I have not sat on any.. however, I am looking into the corbon seats... I notice they are very expensive... However, the stock seat seems to be ok for me at this point. BUT!!! time will tell..

Any other peeps got any comments on aftermarket seats?

StSpyder09
08-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Hmmmmmmm, Now that sounds like an economical alternative.

How long can you comfortably do that "leg up on the plastic" thing?

"Just trying to make an informed decision."

StSpyder09
08-24-2008, 10:01 PM

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/e4cd0507.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/dcc4bcb7.jpg

OK... For future reference, have you posted a step-by-step how to for "Dummies"? Or do the parts come with instructions and diagrams and a dude that can weld?

Thanks bjt.

It looks great.:2thumbs:

StSpyder09
08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Don't Know, as I have not sat on any.. however, I am looking into the corbon seats... I notice they are very expensive... However, the stock seat seems to be ok for me at this point. BUT!!! time will tell..

Any other peeps got any comments on aftermarket seats?

"OK" is Good:dontknow: isn't it:dontknow:?

NancysToy
08-25-2008, 07:22 AM
"OK" is fine by me! The Spyder seat is the most comfortable I can remember. Still, everyone is shaped and padded differently, and what is perfect for me may send the next guy to the chiropractor. This is one decision you will certainly have to make after some time in the saddle. I'd recommened that you don't rush to judgement until you have ridden on a couple of good long rides.

As to feet on the plastic, that works best for me, too, but I am thinking of building a brace to make the plastic spoiler more sturdy at the rear. I am also concerned about wear marks, and may try some type of pad or wear strip there. I have found that this routine really only seems to be necessary for a few short minutes every once in a while. Just a "leg stretcher", so to speak. I may be different there, too. I don't really like laying back while riding. Upright, or slightly forward suits me much better. Again, only time in the saddle (even on the showroom floor) will determine your wants and needs.
-Scotty

bigdave18629
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Fleet,

Take a look at the brackets on the link that I sent to St.Spyder. I just installed these and rode for a little over 4 hours yesterday. They mount lower and in front of the factory pegs and made quite a difference, not really by stretching out but more from being able to change riding position and the brake is still close. For the first time, on this ride, I began to question the seat. My a** was killing me by the time I was done. I sat on another guys Corbin but it does move you down and forward in the seat and I am not sure I like that either. Any way, check out thos brackets and I hope your next ride goes better.

fleet
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Fleet,

Take a look at the brackets on the link that I sent to St.Spyder. I just installed these and rode for a little over 4 hours yesterday. They mount lower and in front of the factory pegs and made quite a difference, not really by stretching out but more from being able to change riding position and the brake is still close. For the first time, on this ride, I began to question the seat. My a** was killing me by the time I was done. I sat on another guys Corbin but it does move you down and forward in the seat and I am not sure I like that either. Any way, check out thos brackets and I hope your next ride goes better.

Big D ........ How do I post a picture. I took the photo you referenced and kinda Photoshopped it ( butchered it ) so ya'll could tell me what y'all think.

bigdave18629
08-25-2008, 02:52 PM
There is a button on the response box when you are posting a reply. It has a mountain on it. Click that and you should be able to browse your pc and attach a photo. I have never done it so this is a guess.

bjt
08-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Excellent !!!

I wonder if your bracket was straight back - not doglegged and the pegs mounted backwards / reversed ( nut side out - right peg on left side and vice versa) would it look too strange ?

We've tried that too but dltang didn't like that as well as what we ended up doing for her.

Hmmmmmmm, Now that sounds like an economical alternative.

How long can you comfortably do that "leg up on the plastic" thing?

"Just trying to make an informed decision."

I can ride that way for many miles. I think I stated in a different post that, on a long trip (over an hour), I ride about 80% of the time in the stock position and like a change for the other 20%. Now that other position is with my legs up on the plastic as opposed to using highway pegs. With my long legs, my calves actually rest on the plastic and my feet are out in front of the plastic. That makes a difference as someone with shorter legs may have issues with their legs constantly sliding off of the plastic.

Big D ........ How do I post a picture. I took the photo you referenced and kinda Photoshopped it ( butchered it ) so ya'll could tell me what y'all think.

Here is an instructional link for picture posting. Posting pictures. (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5841)

StSpyder09
09-06-2008, 01:15 PM
"OK" is fine by me! The Spyder seat is the most comfortable I can remember. Still, everyone is shaped and padded differently, and what is perfect for me may send the next guy to the chiropractor. This is one decision you will certainly have to make after some time in the saddle. I'd recommened that you don't rush to judgement until you have ridden on a couple of good long rides.

As to feet on the plastic, that works best for me, too, but I am thinking of building a brace to make the plastic spoiler more sturdy at the rear. I am also concerned about wear marks, and may try some type of pad or wear strip there. I have found that this routine really only seems to be necessary for a few short minutes every once in a while. Just a "leg stretcher", so to speak. I may be different there, too. I don't really like laying back while riding. Upright, or slightly forward suits me much better. Again, only time in the saddle (even on the showroom floor) will determine your wants and needs.
-Scotty

Hi Scotty,

I'm taking your advice about "time in the saddle". This is the third week of school, and I'm depressed and broke:dontknow:. So, I took a free field-trip to Pensacola Motor Sport to see if dealer had any :spyder: on the floor that I could sit on. :2excited: but I'm 6'5.5" so I had to hide my :yes: when he said he had a Silver awaiting pick-up and a Red SE5 being un-crated.::yes::popcorn::yes::popcorn:.
I still want the Yellow (I really want to do a cutom deep golden color with flakes,pearl and black stripes down the center), but that red is Sweeeeeeet!

What I learned on my field trip: I figured my height would be an issue, but found that my size 14-15 shoes would also present a problem:dontknow:. I will need to raise the seat and get risers for the handlebars. Something about the angle that I was sitting was causing an uncomfortable preasure in an unmentionable area:opps:. The SE5 might suit me better since it would not require foot movement (especially equipped with a hand-brake mod). I still don't like the cheap silver piece on the handlebars. The highway pegs are a must. I still want the Yellow (I really want to do a cutom deep golden color with flakes, pearl and black stripes down the center), but that red is Sweeeeeeet!

All in all, a great Field-Trip and I learned a lot about:spyder:.

NancysToy
09-07-2008, 08:57 AM
StSpyder09,
Glad you learned some things on your trip to the dealer. I'd go back and do it as often as possible, to really get the hang of what you need. A demo ride or two wouldn't hurt, either. Russel Day-Long (http://www.day-long.com/) and others can work with you to change the seat. If you don't like the stock handlebar cover, look into Mad Matt's Kewlmetal (http://www.kewlmetal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&mastercategoryid=1&subcategoryid=20) handlebars and ignition cover. Gives a more conventional look than the risers on the stock bar. Not trying to promote or demote anything here, MM's risers (and all his products) are slick, but the looks or function may be different for each manufacturer. There may be a third handlebar option by the time you make the plunge, from what I hear.

All I know is if you want one of these badly enough, there is a way to make it happen. There are disabled folks making modifications and riding them when they never dreamed they could ride again, some even before there was an SE5. Hand brakes can be fitted, although none are likely to ever be available commercially. If you read through some of the old posts here, and some on the other forums, you will see how these things can be adapted to your needs, and what is available to work for you. Short folks, tall folks, old folks, young folks...the Spyder has captred them all.+
-Scotty