PDA

View Full Version : A whole day to register

Craniac
03-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Went to the DMV to register the Spyder today. Since I bought it out of state, they need to see the VIN in two places. They also need to see the Engine number. Not goning to happen in the parking lot without tools.
So I went back home and took the tupperware off. Could not find the stamped VIN on the frame the Owner's Manual talks about. But I did find a sticker behind the Frunk. In removing the Frunk I found a cross threaded bolt from the Dealer doing the recall for the fuse boxes. Put a couple bolts back in the Frunk and drove it back to the DMV minus the tupperware.
While they were checking the Engine ID number, I removed the Frunk again so they could see the VIN. Then I replaced the Frunk.
Got it registered.
The Check engine light came on when I was driving home. Fortunately I live about a mile and a half from the DMV. Got it home, checked the codes on this forum and found out the ambient temperature sensor was not working. Found the loose wire after removing the remaining tupperware and put it all back together.
Then I decided to find out why my passenger back rest would not come off when I pulled the red handle under the seat. Removed more tupperware. The plastic piece that the cable attaches to is broken. The whole thing was not installed properly so I had to remove it. The cable had gotten pinched because it was not routed correctly. Figured out how the cable should have been routed, and tried to reinstall. Since two of the bolts had been cross threaded during the original install, I had to try several times. Then I super glued the cable to the plastic release. Put it back together and it seems to be working for now.
And I had planned on riding it today.

ARtraveler
03-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Sounds like the dealer mechanics need to be more careful. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
03-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Well; the toughest part of the day's projects is complete... :thumbup:
Time to relax, and go for a ride with your friends... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_38.gif
(I thought I saw "Roswell" in there somewhere! :roflblack:)

finless
03-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Backrest release handle?

Bob

Bob Denman
03-21-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing "top trunk"...

finless
03-21-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing "top trunk"...

Red handle under the seat?

He is from Roswell, NM so maybe he has a "alien" spyder?
Sorry had to make that joke :)

Bob

Bob Denman
03-21-2014, 05:37 PM
As I said...
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_38.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_38.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_38.gif

:joke:

900Dave
03-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Yes, red handle under the seat. On the ST you have to have the rear cargo rack installed to put on the back rest. The cargoe rack has a very small storage compartment in it. There is a red handle under the seat to release the top of the cargo rack. The back rest locks in place of the cargo rack cover. You must pull the red handle under the seat to remove the back rest. That is how it works.

Wiredux
03-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Wow. That's a lot. I just needed to have a bill of sale and a title or certificate of origin.

happyspyder2039
03-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Went to the DMV to register the Spyder today. Since I bought it out of state, they need to see the VIN in two places. They also need to see the Engine number. Not goning to happen in the parking lot without tools.
So I went back home and took the tupperware off. Could not find the stamped VIN on the frame the Owner's Manual talks about. But I did find a sticker behind the Frunk. In removing the Frunk I found a cross threaded bolt from the Dealer doing the recall for the fuse boxes. Put a couple bolts back in the Frunk and drove it back to the DMV minus the tupperware.
While they were checking the Engine ID number, I removed the Frunk again so they could see the VIN. Then I replaced the Frunk.
Got it registered.
The Check engine light came on when I was driving home. Fortunately I live about a mile and a half from the DMV. Got it home, checked the codes on this forum and found out the ambient temperature sensor was not working. Found the loose wire after removing the remaining tupperware and put it all back together.
Then I decided to find out why my passenger back rest would not come off when I pulled the red handle under the seat. Removed more tupperware. The plastic piece that the cable attaches to is broken. The whole thing was not installed properly so I had to remove it. The cable had gotten pinched because it was not routed correctly. Figured out how the cable should have been routed, and tried to reinstall. Since two of the bolts had been cross threaded during the original install, I had to try several times. Then I super glued the cable to the plastic release. Put it back together and it seems to be working for now.
And I had planned on riding it today.that just stinks. In the past when I purchased out of state I had my local dealer verify & sign vin inspection at no charge & it took like 5 min

Craniac
03-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Prior owner told me the rear rack was installed by a Can Am dealer, Wild West Honda near Houston TX. They really butchered the job.

jcthorne
03-22-2014, 05:28 AM
Prior owner told me the rear rack was installed by a Can Am dealer, Wild West Honda near Houston TX. They really butchered the job.

That explains a lot.