PDA

View Full Version : Horns, Horns, and more Horns

PW2013STL
03-20-2014, 05:44 PM
I just received my April Motorcycle Consumer News and they have an article on aftermarket horns. They tested 7 horns for performance(loudness), ease of mounting, and value, giving them an overall rating. They listed actual sound level, power draw in amps, weight, and dimensions.
Fiamm Twin Tone Horn Set rated highest with a 4 out of 5 and db rating of 129.5
The two air horns tested Stebel and Wolo rated 3 out of 5 and db of 129.3 /129.0
The Fiamm draws 8.7 amps. The Stebel draws 18 amps, and the Wolo draws 16.3 amps
The loudest horn tested was the Hella Supertone Dual Horn Kit at 131.9 db
For reference 3 db = twice the sound level.

Purple Guy
03-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Fiamm Twin tone?? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif
Gonna have to look that one up...
Thanks! :thumbup: :D

EDIT: Is this it??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Air-Horn-12v-Fiamm-Ultimate-Blast-Compact-Twin-Tone-Loud-115dB-Nautilus-NEW-/281022465989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416e3e87c5

PW2013STL
03-20-2014, 06:12 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Air-Horn-12v-Fiamm-Ultimate-Blast-Compact-Twin-Tone-Loud-115dB-Nautilus-NEW-/281022465989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416e3e87c5

The article did not list a part number, but did state you need to purchase then separately. Try Fiamm #72112 as these are not air horns.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-20-2014, 06:32 PM
So you're saying that according to their tests the non-air horns were louder than the air horns? If so, that's great because the Hella look like they will fit in a Spyder a lot easier than the air horns.

cuznjohn
03-20-2014, 06:33 PM

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hella-supertone-horn

Jim&Teresa
03-20-2014, 06:34 PM
I just received my April Motorcycle Consumer News and they have an article on aftermarket horns. They tested 7 horns for performance(loudness), ease of mounting, and value, giving them an overall rating. They listed actual sound level, power draw in amps, weight, and dimensions.
Fiamm Twin Tone Horn Set rated highest with a 4 out of 5 and db rating of 129.5
The two air horns tested Stebel and Wolo rated 3 out of 5 and db of 129.3 /129.0
The Fiamm draws 8.7 amps. The Stebel draws 18 amps, and the Wolo draws 16.3 amps
The loudest horn tested was the Hella Supertone Dual Horn Kit at 131.9 db
For reference 3 db = twice the sound level.

In your opinion, what is the "best" horn to upgrade the current Spyder horn that does NOT need a relay....just use existing wiring???

crazyspyder
03-20-2014, 06:46 PM
I have bought and used the HELLAS twice a set for my jeep and a set for my spyder. unless I did something wrong in the installation or these
things are just pure JUNK. I don't know.. but they sound like a sick Volkswagen! I ended up using a truck horn ( from my dodge ram RT) and quite happy-- people will get startled and move out of da way!:shocked:

PW2013STL
03-20-2014, 06:51 PM
So you're saying that according to their tests the non-air horns were louder than the air horns? If so, that's great because the Hella look like they will fit in a Spyder a lot easier than the air horns.

That was their findings. What I really like about this mag is they do not accept ads so no pressure from advertisers to give a good review.

PW2013STL
03-20-2014, 06:54 PM
In your opinion, what is the "best" horn to upgrade the current Spyder horn that does NOT need a relay....just use existing wiring???

The Fiamms, but I own the Wolo air horn so that is what I am installing and it is easy to add the relay.

PW2013STL
03-20-2014, 06:58 PM
I have bought and used the HELLAS twice a set for my jeep and a set for my spyder. unless I did something wrong in the installation or these
things are just pure JUNK. I don't know.. but they sound like a sick Volkswagen! I ended up using a truck horn ( from my dodge ram RT) and quite happy-- people will get startled and move out of da way!:shocked:

Did you use a relay? I have no experience with them, but I do see they include a 30a relay.

Magdave
03-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Yep and that is what I have Fiamms good to know I don't have to worry about the relay I never put in. And they are LOUD (ask my wife I had her test the connection last night when I put my front end back on :yikes:). She never knew I had them till we spent an hour trying to fit them under my new fog lights.

crazyspyder
03-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Did you use a relay? I have no experience with them, but I do see they include a 30a relay.
seems to be doing fine with out a relay...so far!:firstplace:

PW2013STL
03-20-2014, 08:23 PM
seems to be doing fine with out a relay...so far!:firstplace:

I am confused ( not uncommon) as your earlier post said they were junk and sounded like a sick Volkswagen???

crazyspyder
03-20-2014, 08:58 PM
I am confused ( not uncommon) as your earlier post said they were junk and sounded like a sick Volkswagen???

the hellas are junk- I am using a truck horn with no relay. never have used relays other than driving lights!:coffee:

finless
03-21-2014, 01:41 PM
I have heard these work well. Gotta be better than the lousy stock horn!

http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy-air-horn-94117.html

No relay needed either. Probably harder to mount though.

Anyone every used this one and how did you mount it on a RT?

Bob

Magdave
03-21-2014, 06:24 PM

Bob

If you have a plain RT you can mount these pretty easily just 1 screw and 3 pop rivets and you are at the horn that sits on the nacelle. If you have fog lights It can be more difficult if you have the spring clip on the 1 clip that fits into the fog light you have to get it off and the FL gets in the way. It might be best to pull the frunk and R&R the left side nacelle and Tupperware then you will see the horn and bracket.

SpongeBob
03-21-2014, 07:03 PM

Bob

I just put one on mine and it is really loud. Don't test it while sitting next to it. Ask me why I say that ! :yikes:

It comes with the relay and it is recommended.

I used the original horn bolt and fashioned a simple L bracket to secure the horn.

The relay (lower left) was fastened to an existing bolt securing the grille.

I ran a fused wire to the battery. The wire is inside split loom tubing to provide additional protection as well as appearance.

Magdave
03-21-2014, 07:14 PM
I just put one on mine and it is really loud. Don't test it while sitting next to it. Ask me why I say that ! :yikes:

I used the original horn bolt and fashioned a simple L bracket to secure the horn.

I ran a fused wire to the battery. The wire is inside split loom tubing to provide additional protection as well as appearance.

The 14's are much easier than previous years but that may be a viable spot for previous years if you leave the original horn in place and just unplug it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-21-2014, 10:13 PM

That's where the oil tank is on the 13's and earlier, right? There ain't no room there on mine that I can see. I'm thinking of getting a pair of trumpet horns and mounting them on the A arms.

jerpinoy
03-21-2014, 11:25 PM
I don't need a horn where I live and perhaps in new york city is required lol. I believe horns raises anybody's stress level and BP.

PW2013STL
03-22-2014, 05:17 AM
I don't need a horn where I live and perhaps in new york city is required lol. I believe horns raises anybody's stress level and BP.

Having an air horn saved me twice on the highway.:2thumbs:

First time I was in the middle lane when the car on the right started to merge into my lane at the same time the car on the left did the same thing. A blast on the horn set both drivers back to their lanes.
The second time two ladies were chatting as I was passing them when the the driver started to wander into my lane. A toot of the horn got her back into her lane.
my point is that city driving is not the only place you need a horn an the stock one would not have been heard.

lookerjdc
03-22-2014, 06:53 AM
anyone know where I can get a good, loud ahoooga horn?

tigerdr
03-22-2014, 07:06 AM
A Stebel horn from Custom Dynamics.

johnnyg
03-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Bob I Just put the bad boy air horn on my wifes 2011 RS. I mounted it in the front part in front of the frunk between it and the tupperware.
and I put the relay on it too. I could be wrong but I've been told, that the horn draws to many amps for the horn wires. If you hold the horn button down to long you can burn the wires. I have in the past use this horn on the RT without the relay, however I never held the button down more than 3 or 4 sec. and never had a problem. ( with this horn you will jump out of the way) Hope this helps John

Mike on a Trike
03-22-2014, 11:09 AM
If you have a plain RT you can mount these pretty easily just 1 screw and 3 pop rivets and you are at the horn that sits on the nacelle. If you have fog lights It can be more difficult if you have the spring clip on the 1 clip that fits into the fog light you have to get it off and the FL gets in the way. It might be best to pull the frunk and R&R the left side nacelle and Tupperware then you will see the horn and bracket.

So with a '13 RTS (with the fog lights), it is going to be an involved project to replace the horn? I wouldn't mind more volume to get peoples' attention, but I am also uncertain if I want to take on a major project to accomplish it.

Bob Denman
03-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Considering that the proper use of a horn, in an "improper" situation could save you life?
What's your life worth to you?

Magdave
03-22-2014, 12:36 PM
So with a '13 RTS (with the fog lights), it is going to be an involved project to replace the horn? I wouldn't mind more volume to get peoples' attention, but I am also uncertain if I want to take on a major project to accomplish it.

Pulling the frunk is not that big a deal and is good practice. You only need to do it because there are 2 bolts holding the nacelle in position on the back of the frunk. You have to get the nacelle out to take off the 3 bolts that hold the bottom/side panel together. It should not take more than 2 hrs the hard part is arranging a dual horn set up. I ended up putting one in the original position and the second I bent one of the 2 brackets at a 90deg and attached it to one of the lower fog light bolts and it sits next to the original. I guess I should have taken a picture. Here is a good video 12min to take the frunk off. And he took more than needed off you only need to pull the 2 upper panels/headlight cover and 4 frunk bolts on top and 2 under the bottom (2013) as well as unclip harneses. If you have Spyderpops skid 2 bolts from that too. 10mm socket (small) and T20 bit IIRC are all that is needed and some patience.

http://youtu.be/NvGbgxB14PQ

Bob Denman
03-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Dave,
Thanks for posting that video! It should be required viewing!! :2thumbs: nojoke

Magdave
03-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Dave,
Thanks for posting that video! It should be required viewing!! :2thumbs: nojoke

I have watched it a lot before I put my fog lights on it was a great help.

Bob Denman
03-22-2014, 12:53 PM
I've grabbed a copy of the link to that video... :2thumbs: