PDA

View Full Version : Check DPS Message ('09 GS)

Slagiatt
03-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Anybody gotten this message?
Parked the GS Monday...everything perfect...started it today and had the flashing icon with the "Check DPS" message...sure enough, no power steering.
Called the dealer and they checked my Vin and confirmed that the DPS recall has been done on this spyder.
Test drove it 10 miles (all speeds) and, frankly, the only time I noticed it was at very low maneuvering speeds...actually, at higher speeds, it seems to track a bit more steady. ???
The light is still flashing and I won't be able to get a dealer on it for awhile, but just wondered if anyone had gone through this and what the "fix" was. (One mechanic said a 're-flash' might be needed.)
Thanks for whatever input you can give me.
Richard

bruiser
03-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a DPS fail to me. Especially since you're experiencing steering issues. It could be a steering sensor, but my money is on the DPS. Never heard of a reflash curing a consistent DPS fault. I would also check battery voltage and connections. Were you able to pull up any codes???

DrewNJ
03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
The very first things to check are the battery, cables at the battery, and all those chassis grounds along the frame.
Remember, the dps unit draws more continuous voltage than anything else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Slagiatt
03-20-2014, 08:45 PM
I already had an appointment tomorrow for a new battery...I'll see if that does it, but if not, they can test it for other possibilities while at the dealer...I'll re-post here after I get (hopefully) a resolution to this issue.
:pray:

happyspyder2039
03-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I already had an appointment tomorrow for a new battery...I'll see if that does it, but if not, they can test it for other possibilities while at the dealer...I'll re-post here after I get (hopefully) a resolution to this issue.
:pray:
Swap fuses in front fuse box

Mexican
03-20-2014, 09:01 PM
I have the exact same problem, it strarted last may 1000 miles from home, my wife rode it home without problems, it never went into limp modeand just like yours, the only time you really notice it is at very low speeds, we had put 4000 miles on it since here locally.
We took it to the dealer a few months ago and again, just like yours the recall has been done and they told me it was in fact the DPS, it will cost $1,700 to repair.
Good luck!!!

Slagiatt
03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Got the new battery today...when the mech tried to connect his laptop to begin diagnostics about the DPS warning, the bike wouldn't even connect...that is, he couldn't get it to talk to the computer. Conclusion? There's some electrical gremlin at work that will require some diagnostic time (read, $) that will begin, hopefully, next Friday.
Stay tuned.....
:banghead:

Slagiatt
03-24-2014, 02:56 PM
The latest:
The computer connects to the system...power is getting to the DPS but not From it...conclusion? Bad DPS.
$1,148 plus 2 hours labor.
:banghead:
How can a spyder run perfectly...then you put it in the garage...hook up the battery tender...and 2 days later it has a bad DPS...?????
Since the spyder only has 1,600 miles on it, I'll be asking the service manager to appeal to BRP for a price break here...even though it obviously isn't under warranty, 1500 miles for a $1500 repair bill seems a bit steep...$1 per mile for steering assist?
More later...

coz
03-24-2014, 03:11 PM
and ride it without the dps.