PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure Monitors

Bogie
03-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Greetings fellow Spyder Riders,
Has anyone installed a tire pressure monitoring system on there machines?
If so what brand and does it work well?
I am thinking of this and will include the trailer tires.

Can-Am Poogs
03-20-2014, 11:46 AM
All my cars have them, and I find them to be a pain in the ass. Why put it on a motorcycle? I don't know of it on a two wheel, sure wont put it on three.

ChrisW
03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
from 2009 and on all Goldwings have them

Bob Denman
03-20-2014, 11:48 AM
I bought one, and was GOING to install it... ;)
And then decided that simply checking the tire pressures before each ride; was easier! :shocked:

prmurat
03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
I did the same: bought it.... And left them in the box! I can check my tires manually and the idea to re-balance every wheel was more than I want to do!!

Can-Am Poogs
03-20-2014, 12:24 PM
from 2009 and on all Goldwings have them

I was a sport bike rider before the Spyder?

samewok
03-20-2014, 12:42 PM
I have had mine on for almost two years. They are by Hawkhead Systems Inc.
There sight is www.tpms.ca . I did not have too have the tires rebalanced.

bluestratos
03-20-2014, 03:31 PM
I have them and find them very helpful. With my back it is hard to measure the tire pressures, especially the rear. With the Hawks Head I can monitor the pressure of each wheel remotely. If a wheel starts to overheat or to leak down the alarm will go off to make me aware of a problem before things go critical.

PW2013STL
03-20-2014, 04:53 PM
I have had them on my last two Harley's and really like having them for the ability to monitor my pressure as I ride and knowing that if the tire starts losing air I have an early warning and do not have to wait for the dreaded tire squirm to tell me I have a low tire.
I will most likely add this when I need new tires.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-20-2014, 04:55 PM
As far as using these on most veh's I agree I think it's a waste of money................However on a trailer if you get a flat you will never know untill it is far beyond too late .....I have seen trailers with the entire steel wheel worn off down to the HUB and the driver didn't know about it........I think the tire pressure monitor might help prevent this from occurring ...........Any opinions on my theory ? ? ?......Mike

Bob Denman
03-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Opinions?
Mike,
You might just be on to something here! :clap:
Trailers often see less usage, so the basic maintenance can easily get missed! Monitors might just save a weekend of riding! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Opinions?
Mike,
You might just be on to something here! :clap:
Trailers often see less usage, so the basic maintenance can easily get missed! Monitors might just save a weekend of riding! :thumbup:

Bob, I don't care how much maintenance a person does on his / her trailer ......The tires are the weak link...............I should probably have said the tire incident I saw was on a Snow-mobile trailer where the tire/wheels are underneath the trailer and not very visible..................But I still think the monitors would be great on any type of trailer..............just my opinion ...Mike :thumbup:

edmarino
03-20-2014, 06:53 PM
I have TPM system made by BIG BIKE PARTS called Tire Guard system. It comes in 2 wheel, 3 wheel and 4 wheel configuration. May be some day they might make a 5 wheel one for tikes with a trailer. The sensors screw on to the valve stem and you do not have to rebalance your wheels or remove them to install the sensors . I have found them to be fairly accurate usually with in a pound or two of my gauge. So for the intended protection I feel comfortable with the way they work. I mean if my tire is down 3- 4 pounds it is still safe to get off the road and fix. Of course it will not protect you from a blow out. Since I don't carry a spare tire with me any thing that will give me a heads up is worth it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-21-2014, 11:22 AM
I have TPM system made by BIG BIKE PARTS called Tire Guard system. It comes in 2 wheel, 3 wheel and 4 wheel configuration. May be some day they might make a 5 wheel one for tikes with a trailer. The sensors screw on to the valve stem and you do not have to rebalance your wheels or remove them to install the sensors . I have found them to be fairly accurate usually with in a pound or two of my gauge. So for the intended protection I feel comfortable with the way they work. I mean if my tire is down 3- 4 pounds it is still safe to get off the road and fix. Of course it will not protect you from a blow out. Since I don't carry a spare tire with me any thing that will give me a heads up is worth it.

...ED, it's not meant to protect you from getting a " BLOWOUT ". It's meant to tell you, you just had a blowout , and had better pull over immediately TO PREVENT ANY FURTHER SERIOUS DAMAGE to your wheel / hub etc.................just sayin, Mike :thumbup:............PS tubeless tires don't actually blowout like tube tires can.

Omcge
03-26-2014, 06:49 PM
I have had mine on for almost two years. They are by Hawkhead Systems Inc.
There sight is www.tpms.ca (http://www.tpms.ca) . I did not have too have the tires rebalanced.

I also have the www.tpms.ca (http://www.tpms.ca/) system made for can-Am spyders.

Only takes about 5 sec. to check all tires and you get a warning if pressure is too low.

You don't have to rebalance the tires.