PDA

View Full Version : Denali Driving lights Install on 2014RT

bluestratos
03-17-2014, 09:44 AM
I installed my new LED Denali's yesterday and they work Great! Less than 5 amp draw for both and they are great at lighting further out than the stock hi-beams. The are also set up to work with the high beam circuit on the bike so they dim down to a basic daytime running light then go bright when the hi beams are turned on.

After checking every possible location I choose to locate on the top of the plastic A-Arm as there the 14's design will not allow them to be mounted on the side of the fender. While checking under the arm I discovered a 3/8" hole in a metal cross strap which is exactly where I wanted to mount the lights. I made a hardwood spacer up to fill the gap between the plastic and the cross strap so I could bolt it down tight.
Wiring was very easy however right now I have the high/low beam trigger wires connected together and run from an accessory line coming from my new fuse panel. The on off switch is located on a custom cup holder clamp that I built with this end in mind. I will get some pictures if anyone wants to see more. See Post #7 for more pictureshttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84975&d=1395086676

warp10
03-17-2014, 09:47 AM
yes pics please :pray:

Cruzr Joe
03-17-2014, 09:49 AM
I installed my new LED Denali's yesterday and they work Great! Less than 5 amp draw for both and they are great at lighting further out than the stock hi-beams. The are also set up to work with the high beam circuit on the bike so they dim down to a basic daytime running light then go bright when the hi beams are turned on.

After checking every possible location I choose to locate on the top of the plastic A-Arm as there the 14's design will not allow them to be mounted on the side of the fender. While checking under the arm I discovered a 3/8" hole in a metal cross strap which is exactly where I wanted to mount the lights. I made a hardwood spacer up to fill the gap between the plastic and the cross strap so I could bolt it down tight.
Wiring was very easy however right now I have the high/low beam trigger wires connected together and run from an accessory line coming from my new fuse panel. The on off switch is located on a custom cup holder clamp that I built with this end in mind. I will get some pictures if anyone wants to see more.

:nopic:

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-17-2014, 10:05 AM
:agree: :shocked: :thumbup:
:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Cruzr Joe
03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
:agree: :shocked: :thumbup:
:bbq::bbq::bbq:

And he is not normally an agreeable fellow. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr joe

Bob Denman
03-17-2014, 10:28 AM
:agree:
Oh wait! I don't agree! :shocked:
:gaah:

bluestratos
03-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Here are the pictures. The bolt you see comes done through an existing hole. To find the location on top I drilled the spacer block to the same size, slid it in to place and then sharpened a bolt that matched the hole size. I used a large C-clamp and with a wood block on top compressed the bolt until it left a dimple in the plastic. Perfect every time, lol.

I have HID headlights and foglights now and LED Driving/High beam lights. All of the colors are nice and white with no blue tint.

When I made the clamp for the cup holder I added the tear drop extension for the driving light used with my PIAAs. Turned out the new switch matches very well!

wis2013rtltd
03-17-2014, 03:58 PM
please keep us posted as to the night time improvement of your lighting. Very well done.... Where did you procure the lights, and what Lumen output are they?

Bob Denman
03-17-2014, 04:29 PM
:clap: :2thumbs:
And yes; a little bit more information about them, would be GREATLY appreciated! :D

ARtraveler
03-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Nice :thumbup: I've said before many times. You can't have too many lights. :2thumbs:

lookerjdc
03-17-2014, 08:30 PM
I picked up a set at Bikeweek and will be installing them on the inside of the fenders

I pulled my bike up to the Twisted Throttle booth and we checked the lights (they pulled a set out to test with) and there is clearance to mount them using the top bolt on the fender support arm, and then mount them below that bolt

bluestratos
03-18-2014, 09:22 AM
I bought these on the internet for 359.99 through Amazon and sold by Denali. I cannot find a Lumen rating but they light the road 4 times further than the stock high beams according to the data. Don't look directly at the bulb while lit or you will not be seeing much for the next few minutes... how do I know? Lol. I tried the spot on the fender mount but did not like the look and was a little concerned about getting them to mount with out movement at that location as they are not light. Let me know how yours work for you if you do use that spot.
As you can see from the Amazon add pasted below, they only draw 5 amps in total but they are amazing at night. They light the road in brightly far ahead of the headlights but they are a focused 10 degree spot so no wasted light to the sides, above or below.
Denali (TT-DX) Xtreme Dual Intensity Spot LED Light Kit with 5 Amp Fuse

by Denali (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_automotive?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Denali&node=15684181)

Be the first to review this item (http://www.amazon.com/review/create-review/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_wr_link?asin=B00EQ9NTLS)

Price:

$359.99 http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/detail/buy-box/prime._V382283387_.png

NancysToy
03-18-2014, 05:40 PM
I love the Denali dual intensity lights. I didn't think they would be a good fit for my Spyder, unlike my BMW, but I might give it a second look, given your success. Do you notice much flicker from the bouncing, with them mounted to the a-frames?

bluestratos
03-19-2014, 12:45 PM
No, actually a bit less than when I had my Piaa's mounted on the side of the fenders, They are a narrow beam so you do see them bounce a bit on a rough road but nothing that I have found distracting. On a hard turn of the wheels the light hits the leading edge of the fender but only on a tight turn as in parking. I am still playing with the best set up but it has been wet and cold lately so not too excited about going out after dark, lol....

Trickie Dick
03-19-2014, 07:53 PM
I got a nice set of lights from up in your neighborhood. I have them mounted but not connected. I opted for one 10 degree and one 20 degree for a little more spread closer. Supposed to go out to 650 feet. We'll see. http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Long-Range-Optimus-LED-Auxiliary-light-Square_p_11.html

lookerjdc
03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Here are the pictures. The bolt you see comes done through an existing hole. To find the location on top I drilled the spacer block to the same size, slid it in to place and then sharpened a bolt that matched the hole size. I used a large C-clamp and with a wood block on top compressed the bolt until it left a dimple in the plastic. Perfect every time, lol.

I have HID headlights and foglights now and LED Driving/High beam lights. All of the colors are nice and white with no blue tint.

When I made the clamp for the cup holder I added the tear drop extension for the driving light used with my PIAAs. Turned out the new switch matches very well!

my brother and I purchased the D2 Denallis http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-d2d-dual-intensity-led-lighting-2-light-kit-with-full-wiring-harness-and-m8-mount

how/where did you run the wiring so they are set up to work with the high beam circuit on the bike so they dim down to a basic daytime running light then go bright when the hi beams are turned on?

bluestratos
03-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Much less expensive but must be a Denali knock off? Are they set up with the hi low beam circuit or do you have to add that to the price of the light?

Trickie Dick
03-20-2014, 07:55 PM
my brother and I purchased the D2 Denallis

how/where did you run the wiring so they are set up to work with the high beam circuit on the bike so they dim down to a basic daytime running light then go bright when the hi beams are turned on?

Not the cheapest but certainly one of the best to do what your want to do. http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_175.shtml

lookerjdc
03-21-2014, 05:43 AM
the controller looks like a nice option, but I am interested in how bluestratos installed/connected his lights since it seems like he tapped directly into the hi/lo beam switch on the Spyder

bluestratos
03-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Denial's come with a hi/low bean circuit so just take the low beam wire to an accessory wire, the other wire taps into the high beam wire on the bike. I have still not installed the high beam wire as I need to locate the wire that runs the shutter in the headlights so I have them both hooked to power which is an option in the install page. I posted to see if someone could identify that wire color for me as I cannot find my old manual.

I took the bike out for a night ride yesterday, taking back country roads and wow...with my new HID fog, headlight and the LED driving lights it lights up the road in a clean, white light that is so bright the reflective speed limit signs look bazaar, the look like a brilliant white glowing ball on a stick a quarter about a 10th of am away. The driving lights are about as same brightness and range as the HI beams the HID's are pretty amazing as well. The HID Fog lights really light up the road about 100 ft down the road so they fill the dark area just in front of the bike. With everything on at once the front of the bike is a big white light ball when viewed from the reflection in a storefront glass. Very happy with the results! :)

NancysToy
03-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Denial's come with a hi/low bean circuit so just take the low beam wire to an accessory wire, the other wire taps into the high beam wire on the bike. I have still not installed the high beam wire as I need to locate the wire that runs the shutter in the headlights so I have them both hooked to power which is an option in the install page. I posted to see if someone could identify that wire color for me as I cannot find my old manual.

I took the bike out for a night ride yesterday, taking back country roads and wow...with my new HID fog, headlight and the LED driving lights it lights up the road in a clean, white light that is so bright the reflective speed limit signs look bazaar, the look like a brilliant white glowing ball on a stick a quarter about a 10th of am away. The driving lights are about as same brightness and range as the HI beams the HID's are pretty amazing as well. The HID Fog lights really light up the road about 100 ft down the road so they fill the dark area just in front of the bike. With everything on at once the front of the bike is a big white light ball when viewed from the reflection in a storefront glass. Very happy with the results! :)
It looks like the shutter is an 18 ga. gray wire, but I am not positive. That's also from an old manual, so the 2014 may be different, but I doubt it. That circuit also has a 20 ga. gray that runs to the cluster from a junction terminal. Sorry I didn't know you still needed the colors, I thought you found them.

Bob Denman
03-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Is there any way that you can post us a video of what those flamethrowers look like in the dark? :shocked:

lookerjdc
03-22-2014, 07:14 AM
not before he figures out the lighting connections to tie in to the hi/low switch on the bike

gives you more opportunities for more posts Bob :)

bluestratos
03-24-2014, 09:29 AM
I can try to do a video, never posted one on here before. If not I will see about a picture next time I take it out at night. No time to work on the wiring this weekend, was riding instead :)

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-24-2014, 01:30 PM
I can try to do a video, never posted one on here before. If not I will see about a picture next time I take it out at night. No time to work on the wiring this weekend, was riding instead :)
blue, did you see my comment about the wiring in the other thread?

bluestratos
03-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Ok, picked up the gray wire at the headlight and the high/low circuit works perfectly on the Denali driving lights. 1 down!.

wis2013rtltd
05-05-2014, 05:42 PM
and I just wanted to check with the OP to see if he has any other updates before I order them. Thanks.

lookerjdc
05-06-2014, 01:33 PM

just realized I never posted any pictures after I installed the Denalli D2's on my bike - I had my dealer install them and tie them directly to the hi/low beam switch on the bike (didn't use the included switch that comes with them)

and yes, I need to wash my ride - the Love Bugs are out in force down here in Florida and they make quite the mess......

wis2013rtltd
05-06-2014, 01:47 PM

just realized I never posted any pictures after I installed the Denalli D2's on my bike - I had my dealer install them and tie them directly to the hi/low beam switch on the bike (didn't use the included switch that comes with them)

and yes, I need to wash my ride - the Love Bugs are out in force down here in Florida and they make quite the mess......

Are those fender mount brackets an option specific for the Spyder, or a universal that are modified to fit? Are you pleased with your decision on the Denali choice, any issues with vibration with them fender mounted? And lastly, how long did the dealer take to install, just gauging if I will do myself or have dealer install. Thanks!!

lookerjdc
05-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Are those fender mount brackets an option specific for the Spyder, or a universal that are modified to fit? Are you pleased with your decision on the Denali choice, any issues with vibration with them fender mounted? And lastly, how long did the dealer take to install, just gauging if I will do myself or have dealer install. Thanks!!

Twisted Throttle) sells a Denalli universal mounting kit

now, the secret to mounting on the fenders as I did is you have to cut their spacers almost in half to allow for full clearance if you ever have to do a 'hard' turn

I am totally pleased with the Denalli's - I had looked at a number of different options but the Denalli LED's are very well made, very bright (you will need to play with the pointing adjustment so you don't blind oncoming traffic)

I don't find there to be any more 'vibration' with the lights mounted on the fenders vs on the 'A' bars - I wanted them on the fenders so the light turns with the wheels instead of the bike

I was the first person to have this installation done at my local dealer so it took them a little longer then expected but it was only about 90 minutes or so.... a week later my brother brought his bike in to have the same lights installed the same way (except he used the included hi/low switch) and it took the dealer a little over an hour to do it

i just found this thread on the Denalli's: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686879

wis2013rtltd
05-06-2014, 03:30 PM
that is exactly the type of info. I was looking for!!

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-06-2014, 05:47 PM

I see you have them hanging down, with the mount above the light. With the hi/low beam feature the optics have to be oriented in one direction only, right? So can the optic be mounted in the housing in any of 4 90° positions, or did your dealer inadvertently mount them upside down? I don't see this addressed in their installation instructions. How about left/right aim since they are mounted solid in that direction? The only adjustment you have is up/down, right?

bluestratos
05-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I was able to pick up the gray wire right at the headlights, they work great now. I keep them on low all the time and watch out if I flash my highbeam is all I can say. When I ride behind a slow car on the free way, on blink and bam, out of my way! lol Still cannot figure out video, I will have to see if Don can show me how.

lookerjdc
05-07-2014, 09:35 AM
I see you have them hanging down, with the mount above the light. With the hi/low beam feature the optics have to be oriented in one direction only, right? So can the optic be mounted in the housing in any of 4 90° positions, or did your dealer inadvertently mount them upside down? I don't see this addressed in their installation instructions. How about left/right aim since they are mounted solid in that direction? The only adjustment you have is up/down, right?

you can mount them above, below, or forward (tho this would require some other modifications) of the mounting point I used - I am playing with different orientations and yes, each placement would require you to point them slightly differently

the lights come with 2 different lens covers:

2 x spot driving beam lenses (10 degree beam pattern)

2 x flood beam lenses (25 degree beam pattern)

bluestratos
05-07-2014, 03:21 PM
These are the smaller version of the ones I installed, I think they put out a lot less light too.