PDA

View Full Version : What a mess!

daveinva
03-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Got a bunch of snow AGAIN in the D.C. area overnight. It got up into the 60s on Saturday (PERFECT riding weather, enjoyed myself around town), and by Sunday night it was snowing... again.

It came down really wet and heavy at first, with about three inches or so by 12 am. I was still up sitting in my home office when I heard a metallic WHOOSH-CLANG! coming from outside my window.
Sadly, I immediately knew what it was: my Bike Barn had collapsed atop my Spyder under the weight of the snow. :gaah:

So there I was, at midnight, out in sweatpants and slippers, trying to put the Barn back together again under a driving snow. What happened was that the snow had piled up towards the lift-open back part of the Barn (at the rear of the Spyder), causing the Barn to pivot to the rear, lifting the front of the Barn off the ground, up over the front of the bike. (It's my own fault-- I don't have the Barn secured to the driveway in any fashion, it's blocked between my fence and my house so the wind never moves it so I just never think to put down sandbags or the like to weight down the frame :banghead:).

(Note the center of the Barn where all the ceiling frames come together-- that was the pivot point, it all tilted backwards over the rear of my bike lifting the forward floor frame over the front of my bike, basically leaving the entire Barn in the air).

What made it REALLY worse was when I went to pivot the Barn forward back to the ground, the horizontal frame poles caught on the rear taillight of the Spyder (EACH pole caught on the frame, grrrr). So I had to climb over a rapidly-snow covered bike to grab each frame pole and yank it out and over the back of my bike, all while holding the ceiling frame of the Barn to keep it from falling back over. Meanwhile, parts of the frame are now popping apart, with more metal joints clanging to the driveway in the dark. :gaah::gaah::gaah:

Anyway... after about 20 minutes of wrestling around with a job that REALLY needed an extra pair of hands, I got the Barn back to where it needed to be and all the framing poles connected back together. I made sure to weight down the front of the Barn (just rolled my lift jack over the front frame) and, thankfully, I woke up this morning to see the Barn all in one piece.

Still, what a serious PITA

SPYD1
03-17-2014, 07:46 AM
:gaah::banghead::bdh:...sorry Dave but many of us feel your frustration...

Bob Denman
03-17-2014, 08:02 AM
:shocked: I hope that there was no serious damage to the barn, or bike... :shocked:

Yemaya
03-17-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm so sick of this snow! How many weekends has it been 70 degrees on Saturday followed by a major snowstorm Sunday and Monday? Was your bike alright?

grumpybob
03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm so sick of this snow! How many weekends has it been 70 degrees on Saturday followed by a major snowstorm Sunday and Monday? Was your bike alright? None here, just snow every day.

Topshotta
03-17-2014, 10:46 AM
This should be it. No more snow. I went for a ryde on Saturday and Sunday morning.

ARtraveler
03-17-2014, 01:48 PM
We are all in the mood for the real spring to come. Enough of this snow. We also got three inches of snow on Friday. It is spring teaser month, for sure. :roflblack:

NancysToy
03-17-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry, Dave. I have been involved in similar solo situations, and it is no darned fun! On the other hand, envisioning your story as it was told made me laugh out loud. It would have gone viral as a video. Please forgive my giggles, I really am sympathetic to your plight.

rhansen309
03-17-2014, 08:47 PM
I agree with Scotty. At time I know it was no fun for you, but the way you told was funny. At least you didn't have sub-zero temps. I am gald you got it back together and covered the bike. I can't wait for the weather to get nice!!!

daveinva
03-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks all. The Spyder is fine (all that matters), but the barn is looking worse for wear. I've had it for 2 1/2 years and I already need to replace the cover-- the sun has brittled the fabric so much that you so much as breathe on it the thing tears, it's getting riddled with nylon patches.

The plan this year is to either move or build an addition on the house. If we do the former, I'm demanding a garage; if we do the latter, I'm building a shed in the backyard big enough to roll the Spyder into. Either way, I hope I can retire the Bike Barn before next winter. (I'm not really complaining-- the thing did what I wanted it to do-- it's just that I was hoping for more longevity than I got).

But yes, Scotty-- had you gotten my fumbling midnight routine in the snow on video, EVERYONE would have enjoyed the laughter! :joke: