PDA

View Full Version : question about charging SM10 that dealer installed in frunk......

jterrymaddux
03-16-2014, 10:09 PM
My wife and I now have both our 14 RT Limited Roadsters home from dealer. We had the SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitters mounted in the front storage compartments on the bikes. Tonight we paired both of our helmets and the intercom function and that went well. We will attempt to pair phones another night. MY question is how do we charge the SM10 stereo transmitters that are mounted. I see where there is a cigarette charger that is included. Do we have to charge from that charger and stretch it to another 12 volt source, does the unit charge as the bike is running or what......The SM10 instructions do not really say alot.....Thanks Terry and Tammy

billybovine
03-16-2014, 10:28 PM
My wife and I now have both our 14 RT Limited Roadsters home from dealer. We had the SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitters mounted in the front storage compartments on the bikes. Tonight we paired both of our helmets and the intercom function and that went well. We will attempt to pair phones another night. MY question is how do we charge the SM10 stereo transmitters that are mounted. I see where there is a cigarette charger that is included. Do we have to charge from that charger and stretch it to another 12 volt source, does the unit charge as the bike is running or what......The SM10 instructions do not really say alot.....Thanks Terry and Tammy

Assuming the dealer connected up everything correctly, the SM10 is charged by the radio. So as long as the radio is on it will be charging. Since you can't turn the radio off that means as long as the key is on. The SM10 is built for lots of different applications that may need the charger.

jcthorne
03-17-2014, 08:30 AM
And when you turn the bike off, the charging stops. The SM10 module continues running until its internal battery dies. You will find that when you return to your bike, it will not power up until it has been charging for 15 minutes or so. Then when it can be powered up, you will need to pair the helmets again. Very poor design of the BRP cable. You would be better off powering the dongle from the 12v accessory outlet in the front trunk (adding one if you do not have that option installed).

The 2014s do not seem to pick up near as much noise as earlier bikes when the dongle is installed in the front. Mine was completely unusable mounted there with the BRP cable.

jterrymaddux
03-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Assuming the dealer connected up everything correctly, the SM10 is charged by the radio. So as long as the radio is on it will be charging. Since you can't turn the radio off that means as long as the key is on. The SM10 is built for lots of different applications that may need the charger.

Thanks for your reply....

jterrymaddux
03-17-2014, 09:28 AM
And when you turn the bike off, the charging stops. The SM10 module continues running until its internal battery dies. You will find that when you return to your bike, it will not power up until it has been charging for 15 minutes or so. Then when it can be powered up, you will need to pair the helmets again. Very poor design of the BRP cable. You would be better off powering the dongle from the 12v accessory outlet in the front trunk (adding one if you do not have that option installed).

The 2014s do not seem to pick up near as much noise as earlier bikes when the dongle is installed in the front. Mine was completely unusable mounted there with the BRP cable.

Thanks for the info....sounds like 12V accessory may be better option.....The dongle and helmet communication is all new territory for me....I have kind of had a hard time getting my head wrapped around all of it.....Thanks again

finless
03-17-2014, 10:42 AM
There is a switch on the SM10. As long as you remember to turn it off the unit wont have a dead battery when you go to use it again. Having it hooked and powered 100% by the spyders battery might kill the pyders battery after a week or some. I have seen someone report 4 days it killed his.

This pain is why most people installed the SM10 in the trunk not the frunk.

Bob