PDA

View Full Version : How many actually work on their own Spyder

3 Wheel Addict
03-16-2014, 02:20 PM
How many actually work on / repair your own Spyder? This can include anything from adding farkles to major repairs.

DrewNJ
03-16-2014, 02:28 PM
I would fall into that category. The only thing I had my dealer do was a water pump replacement and that was only because it was under warranty and didn't cost me anything

Now that mine is out of warranty it probably will never see the dealer again.....

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

rnet
03-16-2014, 02:44 PM
I also have 2 boys that make a living as auto mechanics, one Ohio tech graduate and the other owns his on tire/auto shop. So I have it covered.

ARtraveler
03-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Dealer gets to do most anything technical. I am not very mechanically inclined.

Jeriatric
03-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Can do. But, that doesn't mean I always do (for personal reasons). If it's a warranty item, then it's theirs.

Larry rt
03-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Farkles only !

srwilli
03-16-2014, 04:00 PM
I do all preventative maintenance, dealers are really expensive. If/when I need major work will decide if I can do it or not.. Have done all my farkles except the wrap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LJspydee
03-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Will do my own maintenance once my warranty and maintenance policy expire.
Currently do my own farkles.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

stewartj239
03-16-2014, 04:14 PM
The only thing that I would not attempt is a major mechanical issue and at that point, it would probably be cheaper to just find a complete motor.

hchays
03-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Unless I have to take it in for warranty work, it's all me! I'm the mechanic, detailer, designer and fabricator for all that is done to my Spyder.

Deanna777
03-16-2014, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=akspyderman;775768Dealer gets to do most anything technical. I am not very mechanically inclined.[/QUOTE]My Can-Am dealer does the mechanical work on my spyder. I am not mechanically inclined, and I don't have the time to do it. ( That Work Thing, Riding my spyder etc.) Deanna777

pellcitypete
03-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Since my spyder is out of warranty I do all my up keep an any mods except front end alin. let Lamont do that :thumbup:

Frank G
03-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Do all my own Maintenance, and Farkle additions. Use the dealer for everything else. BTW the RS was so much easier to maintain than the RT. :yikes: I am now looking for a funnel from the "Wizard of OZ" just to add coolant.

mcaccamise
03-16-2014, 04:32 PM
I prefer to do my own maint and customization to my own high standards,I don't like anybody touching my toys even with warente work I still go over everything just to make me happy.

Bob Denman
03-16-2014, 04:35 PM
:shocked: I am the most mechanically-challenged Human in the Universe :shocked: (Forget about the Planet)
I add farkles; only if it's not too deep into the mechanicals of the bike...
It takes me about three times longer to perform the tasks that I choose to undertake; I enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction gained from the experience! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
03-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Mine only goes to the dealer for warranty work. I'll take it in for the 3,000 service but will not have them change the oil.

PW2013STL
03-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Warranty work = dealer

All other = me, myself, and I. I think between the 3 of me we can get it done:chat:

SNOOPY
03-16-2014, 05:02 PM
I know some tools. :shocked:

DrewNJ
03-16-2014, 05:05 PM
I prefer to do my own maint and customization to my own high standards,I don't like anybody touching my toys even with warente work I still go over everything just to make me happy.

Haha...I thought I was the only one that did that.....I did the same thing when I got mine back after the warranty water pump. I had all the plastics torn off in the garage and went over everything!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
03-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Warranty work = dealer

All other = me, myself, and I. I think between the 3 of me we can get it done:chat:
One more of you, and a poker game could break-out! :D :thumbup:

PW2013STL
03-16-2014, 06:37 PM
One more of you, and a poker game could break-out! :D :thumbup:

LOL

But it would not work as I am a sore loser and would end up hating myself:gaah:

spydaman60
03-16-2014, 07:15 PM
farkles only!!!:thumbup:

bscrive
03-16-2014, 07:36 PM
I would never hesitate to do anything on my wife's Spyder or my valk including engine work. I don't bring anything to the dealer unless it has to do with the computer. I am actually right now in the process of a complete rebuild on my snowmobile. As long as I have the torque specs I am good to go.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-16-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm inclined to design and build things for my Spyders that weren't available when I bought my 08 like a touring windshield.....which I made from a GW 1500 it's like 472 sq.in......and Risers, the handlebar type. I made mine from Sno-mobile risers that needed extensive metal sculpting so the clutch would work, and it does.......tail rack for Hard trunk.......5 position adjustable passenger pegs with an adjustable upright for child use ( and it's almost in the mail Chad ).........and the first Bolt on front shock Angle Adjusters ( really ).............I do all maintenance ...farkeling, and if it gets complicated my personal mechanic "Andy" will help out. ......Mike :thumbup:

3 Wheel Addict
03-16-2014, 07:45 PM
I had a 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak that I purchased used from a guy that added some of the loudest pipes ever made! I loved that bike but hated the noise, found a stock exhaust on ebay and put her back stock, found out why it was so loud... engine problems specifically knocking noises!!? The local Kawi dealer said it was rod noise and wanted $2600 for major rebuild of the engine. I decided to fix it myself, found out that the exhaust caused a lean running engine and the detonation caused the piston skirts to collapse and the pistons were slapping in the bores. Turned out to be a simple (sort of) fix. Cost was 2 pistons, 2 ring sets, gaskets and seals to the tune of around $450.
So clearly I'm not afraid to tackle anything with my bike that I can do without having the BUDS system, that's my only limitation.

"It takes tools and talent and I can buy the tools"

garb55
03-16-2014, 09:52 PM
I do all my on work
the only time my Spyder see the dealer shop is for warranty work.
I will bring it in for the 3000 mile service so the dealer will sign it but I will do my own oil change
I can rebuild the engine if I have to
Just need specs.
Don

spacetiger
03-16-2014, 09:55 PM
You need 2 more categories beyond:
Can do basic maintenance

I can do minor modifications

I can do major modifications

Can you update the poll? That said, I don't think too many people will select one of the options, but it would be nice to know.

Jerry

bobnaquin
03-17-2014, 08:49 AM
I chose "I am better with tools than my dealer" but that is like saying I am the tallest midget.

Cruzr Joe
03-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Basic farkles = Me

Involved Farkles or Non warranty work + Spyderpops Repair Shop

Warranty Work = Dealer

Cruzr ( the soon to be retired (2 more weeks) ) Joe

murphybrown
03-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Then I can fuel her; fluff her tires and ryde the heck out of her!!! That qualifies doesn't it? :clap::yes:

NancysToy
03-17-2014, 06:54 PM
"Fluff the tires". Classic! :thumbup: :bowdown: :clap:

xinu
03-17-2014, 07:35 PM
I use my tools to preform basic maintenance under warranty.

I become a tool after a few 12 ounce lifts and have had a few farkle fails.

SNOOPY
03-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Don't we all! roflmao

SPYD3R
03-17-2014, 07:58 PM
HALF the fun is riding my SPYD3R, and the other HALF is playing with it, aka; working on it... :thumbup: i do my own maintenance, and build all my own MOD's... except for my hand-grips... :yes: :trike:

1, some muffler mods 2, tail-bag rack 3, foot boards/pegs 4, air-scoops 5, windshield
84982 84983 84984 84985 84986

SNOOPY
03-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Man that garage floor is SOOOOO cool! :thumbup:

BajaRon
03-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Then I can fuel her; fluff her tires and ryde the heck out of her!!! That qualifies doesn't it? :clap::yes:

Does that require a 'Tire Fluffing Tool'?

flamingobabe
03-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Well I voted "I'm better with tools than my dealer!"....but "I'm" is Mark and he can fix anything....he has worked on my Spyder and figured out things the dealer mechanics have not been able to fix......I'm a lucky lady

xinu
03-17-2014, 08:52 PM
HALF the fun is riding my SPYD3R, and the other HALF is playing with it, aka; working on it... :thumbup: i do my own maintenance, and build all my own MOD's... except for my hand-grips... :yes: :trike:

Nice pics of your living room!

Benggolf
03-17-2014, 11:08 PM
I prefer to have the dealer do all the mechanical work as they are trained to do the
job right (the first time). :clap:

Certainly admire all those that do most of the mechanical work themselves. :thumbup:

szohar
03-17-2014, 11:35 PM
I do it all myself and I am still under extended warranty, my dealer worked twice on my bike messed it up and scratch it I am doing all the work and enjoying it, I am an EE never did any mechanic work. few weeks ago it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to open hood to fill the wiper water. But the spyder is great pleasure for me to work on.

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-17-2014, 11:44 PM
I prefer to have the dealer do all the mechanical work as they are trained to do the
job right (the first time). :clap:......Really, not in my experience, nor in those of many others on this forum. This is an ongoing problem IMHO.....Mike :gaah:

Certainly admire all those that do most of the mechanical work themselves. :thumbup:...........:agree: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

CentralCoastCA
03-18-2014, 12:17 AM
I'm lucky to have a better half that farkles up my Spyder and does 90% of the mechanical work.

AlEverett
03-18-2014, 02:26 AM
I do just as much work on my Spyder as my car. I check the oil and put air in the tires. Enough said.

SNOOPY
03-18-2014, 05:08 AM
I do it all myself and I am still under extended warranty, my dealer worked twice on my bike messed it up and scratch it I am doing all the work and enjoying it, I am an EE never did any mechanic work. few weeks ago it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to open hood to fill the wiper water. But the spyder is great pleasure for me to work on.

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk

You have wipers on your bike? :shocked:

Lol

StanProff
03-18-2014, 07:13 AM
How many actually work on / repair your own Spyder? This can include anything from adding farkles to major repairs.

I do my belt alignment, oil changes and all of the basic maintenance. Changed shocks, installed sway bar etc. Any other issue I'll let the dealer handle but I've not had any dealer services after the initial check at about a thousand miles. Engine, electronics no problems. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-18-2014, 07:17 AM
Does that require a 'Tire Fluffing Tool'?
:D BRP has a specialized tool for that... :thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
03-18-2014, 07:27 AM
:shocked: I am the most mechanically-challenged Human in the Universe :shocked: (Forget about the Planet)
I add farkles; only if it's not too deep into the mechanicals of the bike...
It takes me about three times longer to perform the tasks that I choose to undertake; I enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction gained from the experience! :thumbup:

:agree: I am right there with you Bob, i was able to tackle Gloryders! I took great satisfaction at that. I will foot the bill for the rest!!

Pirate looks at --
03-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Basic farkles = Me

Involved Farkles or Non warranty work + Spyderpops Repair Shop

Warranty Work = Dealer

Cruzr ( the soon to be retired (2 more weeks) ) Joe

Two weeks! Time to use all of that sick time you have built up!:roflblack:

Bob Denman
03-18-2014, 07:38 AM
:agree: I am right there with you Bob, i was able to tackle Gloryders! I took great satisfaction at that. I will foot the bill for the rest!!

I hear ya; Bro! :2thumbs: :D

There are actually a lot of systems on the bike, that you can "skirt along the edge of"; without getting into any trouble.
Chrome Handlebar end-caps... :thumbup:

Frunk, and top trunk molded liners... :thumbup:
New seats... :thumbup:
Armrests... :thumbup:
Anti-SwayBar end links... :thumbup:
The key; is to just not let yourself get overwhelmed by the project. Read the instructions about a bazillion times, and keep focused on the process.

Bob Denman
03-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Do they have it in here? :dontknow:
http://kalecoauto.com/