PDA

View Full Version : "Special" Break-In Oil

SpyRyd
03-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Does BRP use a special break-in oil in the ACE 1330 motor?

ulflyer
03-15-2014, 07:51 PM
I don't honestly know, but suspect its just their regular blend.

SpyRyd
03-15-2014, 08:00 PM
I don't honestly know, but suspect its just their regular blend.

I understand the 991 class motor had a special break-in oil...wondering if the 1330 (1403 class) does also. Also understand the special break-in oil, if in the 1330, should only be replaced at or very close to the end of the break-in period, not early.

NancysToy
03-15-2014, 08:58 PM
I understand the 991 class motor had a special break-in oil...wondering if the 1330 (1403 class) does also. Also understand the special break-in oil, if in the 1330, should only be replaced at or very close to the end of the break-in period, not early.
The 990 and 991 do not use a special break-in oil...they just have a short interval to the first oil change so the dealer can perform
the necessary service and clean the oil screen before too many miles are racked up. I think BRP was being overly cautious.

Bob Denman
03-16-2014, 09:02 AM
:agree: The Myth is busted!

Bob Denman
03-16-2014, 09:09 AM
It's kind of like Canola; only not quite... :D

SpyRyd
03-16-2014, 09:30 AM
:agree: The Myth is busted!

What myth?

SpyRyd
03-16-2014, 09:43 AM
I actually never understood the concept of "break in oil" maybe someone could enlighten me?

It is my understanding that break-in oil has a higher zinc content than "regular" oil. The zinc supposedly helps seat rings...don't know for sure what else it is supposed to do.

BTW, I have it from a reliable source that BRP used break-in oil in their 991 class engines. Source didn't know if BRP uses break-in oil in the new 1403 class (1330 ACE).

I also understand that it is recommended, if break-in oil is on board, to not change the oil early. Gotta give the break-in oil the full break-in period to do it's thing...whatever that is.

I gotta admit I'm way over my head here. Asked a ? about prolonged riding during the break-in period for the 1330 and got more info than I know what to do with.

I know Amsoil, and many others, makes a break-in oil. Maybe BAJARON or some of the other "oil experts" on here can chime in to enlighten us all.

tigerdr
03-16-2014, 04:42 PM
I ask one friend who work at the Spyder assembly plant here in Valcourt (Quebec). The answer is no. No special oil are use in either the 991cc or the 1330cc. It's the regular semi-synthetic blend.

Bob Denman
03-16-2014, 04:58 PM
Thank you, for confirming that fact with somebody who's actually there... :clap: :2thumbs:

NancysToy
03-16-2014, 09:47 PM
In engines where full synthetic oils are specified, break-in oils are often used because the full syn oils are too "slippery". It is possible that BRP used such an oil on the early 2008/2009 990 engines that specified full synthetic, but they do not use them since they switched to the synthetic blend. I imagine it is possible that they switched just for that reason. There really is little use for special break-in oils or extensive break-in procedures or lengthy break-in periods on modern engines with finely honed cylinder walls or nicasil or chromed cylinders, and moly-filled rings. These rings seat almost immediately, unlike the old cast-iron rings, and the smooth cylinders can't hone them to shape anyway. Merely varying engine speed frequently is enough to rock and seat the moly rings.

SpyRyd
03-17-2014, 03:33 AM
Thanks to all for your informative and relevant posts...I've learned a few things! Thanks again.

MikeinGA
04-10-2014, 08:11 AM
In engines where full synthetic oils are specified, break-in oils are often used because the full syn oils are too "slippery". It is possible that BRP used such an oil on the early 2008/2009 990 engines that specified full synthetic, but they do not use them since they switched to the synthetic blend. I imagine it is possible that they switched just for that reason. There really is little use for special break-in oils or extensive break-in procedures or lengthy break-in periods on modern engines with finely honed cylinder walls or nicasil or chromed cylinders, and moly-filled rings. These rings seat almost immediately, unlike the old cast-iron rings, and the smooth cylinders can't hone them to shape anyway. Merely varying engine speed frequently is enough to rock and seat the moly rings.

With a new engine I have it tested to see how much blow by contaminants, medal, and other like antifreeze. I do this one the first oil change. The oil I drained from my 2011 RS-S SE5 was a break in oil and was a non-synthetic oil and tested normal.

Mike