PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Farkling...

Bob Denman
03-15-2014, 05:58 PM
As you might have heard; I'm the nitwit who can't leave well-enough alone... yet lack the basic mechanical skills to accomplish anything in an easy and quick manner! nojoke
Today was EPIC! :D
I took the Missus computer shopping... got some lunch out to Town, and hit the garage by about 1:30.
I had plans to install TricLEDs front fender lighting. :thumbup:
So I go dig out some tools; read the instructions for the seventy-eleventh time, and start unbolting stuff. :thumbup:
The wheels were pretty darn easy... no skinned knuckles, and my 1000 lb capacity lift didn't buckle under the 1055 lb bike :D
Then I started unbolting the fender...
... and it got interesting!
Did you know that you can remove T-30s, with a T-25 socket? That's how I started removing too many of the wrong bolts! :banghead:
After I think I pulled EVERY bolt from underneath the darn thing; it DID finally come apart! :clap:
The wiring (and Reggy's instructions!) went pretty easy!
Anyway; once I got the first one done... a three hour chore; the second one only took and hour and a half! :2thumbs:
The Missus thinks that it looks pretty cool, and so do I!
So now we're torn between getting the 3rd and 4th braklights from Reggy, or waiting until he's got the side storage compartment lights available too!

cuznjohn
03-15-2014, 06:02 PM
i like the look

Wiredux
03-15-2014, 06:07 PM
they are on my todo list. I may just be picking them up at the fest.

Bob Denman
03-15-2014, 06:15 PM
You actually only need an 8mm socket, a T-25, some duct tape, two small flat-bladed screwdrivers, and something to crimp the connections with! :thumbup:
And the wrench to remove the front wheels...
Oh! And a real good set of eyeballs, so that you get the wiring right! :shocked:

Cruzr Joe
03-15-2014, 06:15 PM
As you might have heard; I'm the nitwit who can't leave well-enough alone... yet lack the basic mechanical skills to accomplish anything in an easy and quick manner! nojoke
Today was EPIC! :D
I took the Missus computer shopping... got some lunch out to Town, and hit the garage by about 1:30.
I had plans to install TricLEDs front fender lighting. :thumbup:
So I go dig out some tools; read the instructions for the seventy-eleventh time, and start unbolting stuff. :thumbup:
The wheels were pretty darn easy... no skinned knuckles, and my 1000 lb capacity lift didn't buckle under the 1055 lb bike :D
Then I started unbolting the fender...
... and it got interesting!
Did you know that you can remove T-30s, with a T-25 socket? That's how I started removing too many of the wrong bolts! :banghead:
After I think I pulled EVERY bolt from underneath the darn thing; it DID finally come apart! :clap:
The wiring (and Reggy's instructions!) went pretty easy!
Anyway; once I got the first one done... a three hour chore; the second one only took and hour and a half! :2thumbs:
The Missus thinks that it looks pretty cool, and so do I!
So now we're torn between getting the 3rd and 4th braklights from Reggy, or waiting until he's got the side storage compartment lights available too!

The 3rd & 4th Brakelight is really nice and helps me to be seen in daylight and after dark, a good farkle. Love the fender lights, they look good.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-15-2014, 06:18 PM
We had Reggy's brakelights out back on Fawkes; they are a fan-dang-tastic safety item that's pretty easy to add! :2thumbs:

Purple Guy
03-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Looks Great Bob! :clap:

stevedfive
03-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Don't be torn, do both!

Bob Denman
03-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Dealing with the Missus; is kind of like knife fighting in the dark with an octopus... :shocked:
I kind of let her lead me in the direction that I wanted to go anyway... :D
It's MUCH safer!
She did like the extra brakelights, and I've shown her pics of the lighting for the side storage compartments; the hook has been baited and cast...

Cruzr Joe
03-15-2014, 06:47 PM
REEL HER IN.

Cruzr Joe

Pennyrick
03-15-2014, 06:47 PM
You actually only need an 8mm socket, a T-25, some duct tape, two small flat-bladed screwdrivers, and something to crimp the connections with! :thumbup:
And the wrench to remove the front wheels...
Oh! And a real good set of eyeballs, so that you get the wiring right! :shocked:

It also helps to have some really good music in the background. Loud enough to mask the swearwords is good.

Bob Denman
03-15-2014, 06:49 PM
:D But where's the fun in masking them? :D
I WANT the neighbors to fear me... :gaah: :cus: :gaah:

Nils888
03-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Looks good. Might have add to the List:2thumbs:

cptjam
03-15-2014, 10:28 PM
they are cool! I did Ann's yesterday, along with the HMT, bright sides, strobe modulator. Also did a bumpskid and an American flag from Reggie. Had to work today, but will put her Ronbar on tomorrow. I also rewired her trailer to work with the 14. About 10 hours, all told. She is happy.

SPYD1
03-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Hmmmmm...how to Farkle??? Or...how to work the wife???? What did I get out of this?:roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe
03-15-2014, 10:39 PM
they are cool! I did Ann's yesterday, along with the HMT, bright sides, strobe modulator. Also did a bumpskid and an American flag from Reggie. Had to work today, but will put her Ronbar on tomorrow. I also rewired her trailer to work with the 14. About 10 hours, all told. She is happy.

When Momma is happy .............................. everyone is happy :D

Cruzr Joe

Purple Guy
03-15-2014, 11:01 PM

Glad to hear you finally got the trailer all hooked up! :clap:

PaSpyderRyder
03-16-2014, 05:03 AM
Bob,

Lights look real good.

Bob

mindman
03-16-2014, 07:09 AM
Really appreciate the posting Bob. These are on my wish list and learning from your experience will be very helpful as I have been described as lacking opposable thumbs when it comes to anything remotely resembling mechanical.:gaah:

Bob Denman
03-16-2014, 08:06 AM
The Dear Friend that sent these to me, knew that I was hesitant about tackling electrical projects on the bike... :shocked:
(I don't play well with electricity! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_6_8.gif
Rest assured, that the wiring part of the job is the easiest that I've seen in a VERY long time!
There's lots of room to work, and the touchest part, is actually in controlling where the parts go; so as not to gather-up any scratches on them. :yikes:
And once I figured the fenders out; that was also within the meager realm of my abilities too!

If you're having a tough time deciding on these; rest assured that they're an easy install, and they look great! :2thumbs:

Today's gonna find me in the top trunk; sorting out my XM Onyx installation a bit...
It desperately needs to be cleaned-up! :opps:

Bob Denman
03-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Since yesterday's pictures were pretty lousy; here's just a few more out in the sunlight...
Where the flash doesn't blind you! :shocked:849218492284923

JKMSPYDER
03-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Great job Bob. I have these lights installed on my ST-S. I also have them hooked up as turn signal lights.

Bob Denman
03-16-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking about doing that...
But of course; it needs to get run past the Missus first! :shocked:
Is it a tough thing to hook them up like that?

IGETAROUND
03-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Great looking Farkle Bob!! Your description gives me hope that I too can do this!!!:yes::yes:

finless
03-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Good job :clap:

Bob

ARtraveler
03-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Great pictures Bob. I like the difference between the dark/lighter photos. The bright light pictures really bring out that Cognac color.

PS: you can't have to many lights. They look great. :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
03-17-2014, 05:04 PM
:agree: Get that cognac out in the sunlight, and it just POPS! :D:2thumbs: