PDA

View Full Version : I want a Spyder--need input

watebo
03-15-2014, 12:40 PM
I am a new member here and this is my first post. I have not ridden in years and am getting the urge again. Previously I have owned and ridden Hondas, the last being a 1971 CB 750 K1. Checking out 2 wheelers lately, I have decided that they are not for me, so I have turned to the Spyders. I am not interested in a sport type bike, and don't see that I have much use for a touring model. That leads me to the ST, but I don't want something that would put me in a crouch position--I want something more upright. I'm thinking I would also need a taller windshield. Most of my riding would be just cruising, would not take trips longer than 100 miles. I would appreciate any input on my choice of machine such as reliability, ease of riding, cost of maintenance and insurance. Thanks for any replies.

ARtraveler
03-15-2014, 12:47 PM
:welcome: You have a lot of questions. I'll answer some and leave space for others.

Three wheels are sometimes better than two. The :spyder2: has the safest configuration with two in front. Also safety features to help avoid tip over, as well as ABS brakes.

If you do not want a crouch position, the ST is the configuration that I would recommend. There were many issues with 2013 ST models and much information is available on this site. 2014 brings a new engine configuration for the RT model.

A test drive and some additional due diligence should help to determine if the :ani29: is in your future. I like em a lot.

Don in E Texas
03-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Reading your post, I thought a lot about myself. My view: stick with a RT. Only going to ride 30 miles? Might as well be comfortable doing it. Model years 2010 - 2012 are great in the used market (my daughter and I purchased used bikes with just over 2,000 miles on each). Money not an object, the 2014's are so far proving to be outstanding rides.

2013's -- some have heat issues; some do not. You can find a lot on the forum on these units.

Yep - RT would be my choice.

Don

Yeochief
03-15-2014, 12:58 PM
My :spyder2: is a 2009 GS. Now the model is called RS. It is NOT a crotch rocket, however, it will really get to speed in a hurry. I personnally do not care for the position you are in on an RT, The ST is supposed to sit a little straighter than the RS. You really need to get on and see what you prefer.

You didn't mention how tall you are, I am around six foot, and feel that the RS fits fine. Taller riders mention being cramped. I did add an after market wind screen, not one of the super tall ones. Again, you need to ride for a while to figure out what you really want.

Good luck in your search. Welcome to the community. :clap:

JkRbbt
03-15-2014, 01:07 PM
I am a touring type rider. I have had Harley Ultras and a Gold Wing , but some of my best rides were smaller bikes like the H/D Deuce and a couple of BMW RTs. When I decided to jump into the Spyder experience, I went back and forth between the ST and RT. I wound up going with the RT. I really have no regrets. Comfortable. Smooth. LOTS of storage. Love the looks of the ST and I am still keeping my eye on it for the future, but the RT gave me a glove box and a trunk that the ST didn't have. Certainly more comfort for a second rider. My advice would be, don't count out the RT before you test ride it. If you are thinking of a 2013 anyhow, there are some good buys. Speaking for myself, I have had really good luck with my '13. Hope it all works out for you!

Lin
03-15-2014, 01:32 PM
I don't want to continue to repeat all that has been said, but, you really need to at least sit on them and test drive one. I purchased my 2011 as a leftover and saved a couple thousand at the time. So far, my wife and I ride as you described, 2-3 hour day trips. We do like having the storage the RT has. Regardless, I hope it works out for you and welcome to the community.

Netminder
03-15-2014, 01:53 PM
As mentioned above, sit on each model and test drive them if you can. Once you decide on the model you like, maybe rent one for a day, just to make sure you like it. Most dealers will cover the rental if you decide to buy from them, at least mine did. Good luck with your decision and you are in the right place for answers to any Spyder (and sometimes other:yikes:) questions you may have.

warp10
03-15-2014, 01:54 PM
you did not say if your were going to be riding with a passenger, if you are planning to ride 2 up then the RT is the way to go. great deals on used 2012 RT's. I just traded my 2012 RT in at Louis powersports in Greenville. It has 8k miles and some nice up grades and lights. Just ask for Curtis and tell him you would like to test ride the silver one Ken Nicholls traded in on Friday.

Deanna777
03-15-2014, 02:21 PM
:welcome: I would test drive a spyder to see what is works well with you. Hope this info. helps.

Insurance price get a quote from a company's that deal with Motorcycles.

Also, get The B.E.S. T. Extended warranty. The B.E.S.T has a $50.00 deductible. B.E.ST offers 12-,24-,or 36 month coverage beyond the manufacturer's warranty on most BRP vehicles, kicking in the second your vehicle's limited warranty expires. Nationwide service: Coverage that travels with you. Also, B.E.S.T repairs can be done though any authorized BRP dealer in North America. Also, it is fully transferable, at no cost : the ultimate accessory.

Sent PM.

Deanna777

cuznjohn
03-15-2014, 02:32 PM
try and do what i did, i rented one and put 100 miles on it to see what i thought. if you could rent one on a saturday and return it on monday at least you will get some riding time in. it cost me 210 dollars to rent it for 24 hours and well worth it

Dan_Ashley
03-15-2014, 04:26 PM
For the RS and ST, if you like the configuration of your body but just want to sit a little straighter think about handle bar risers and a taller windshield.

Bob Denman
03-15-2014, 05:41 PM
:welcome:
:lecturef_smilie:Get thee, to a dealer... :D
Then; park your butt on the seats, and see which model just talks the sweetest to you! :2thumbs:

joebryanjr
03-16-2014, 11:29 AM
I also like to sit up, I do not bend well, anymore. I have a 2011RS-S with 3" handlebar risers and tall windshield. It works well for me.

DrewNJ
03-16-2014, 11:34 AM
You really need to sit on them. The RS does not sit in a crouched position as much as you might think and nowhere near a sport bike position.
It actually sits more upright like a sport touring bike. Similar to an FJR or ST Honda.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

OJ UK
03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
I also like to sit up, I do not bend well, anymore. I have a 2011RS-S with 3" handlebar risers and tall windshield. It works well for me.

Me too! I have an RS-S with the BRP 1" risers plus HeliBars which give me a comfortable upright driving position.

Deanna777
03-17-2014, 05:43 PM
if you buy before 4/30 two years BEST warranty comes standardIs this something new?

If you buy before the above. Deanna777