PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for a trailer on my 2014 RTS

ChrisW
03-13-2014, 07:51 PM
I just don’t understand, when I wired my Goldwing for a trailer I had a ground, running lights, brake lights, left blinker (yellow), right blinker (yellow) this equals five wires. My new spyder has running lights, brake lights, and yellow blinkers, thus five wires. But from what I understand when I get my trailer hitch from BRP it will have a plug and play harness with just four wires, how is this done??? I want to use the BRP stock harness so I can tow my trailer that works with my Goldwing and want to have separate turn signals in yellow as I have now on the trailer. :bowdown::banghead::bowdown::banghead:

harrypottar
03-13-2014, 08:20 PM
You simply can not. My old Goldwing trailer had separate turn and brake lights, I had to wire the turn signals into the brake wire. The spyder trailer module only puts out combined brake and turn.

harry

ChrisW
03-13-2014, 08:36 PM
WHY ?????:dontknow:

NancysToy
03-13-2014, 09:12 PM
I just don’t understand, when I wired my Goldwing for a trailer I had a ground, running lights, brake lights, left blinker (yellow), right blinker (yellow) this equals five wires. My new spyder has running lights, brake lights, and yellow blinkers, thus five wires. But from what I understand when I get my trailer hitch from BRP it will have a plug and play harness with just four wires, how is this done??? I want to use the BRP stock harness so I can tow my trailer that works with my Goldwing and want to have separate turn signals in yellow as I have now on the trailer. :bowdown::banghead::bowdown::banghead:

Once again, the BRP harness contains and integral 5-to-4 converter...a little black box that does the magic to convert the 5-wire output to 4-wire to be compatible with the BRP trailer. If you want it to work like your Wing, you will have to wire it directly (or through a Goldwing isolator) to provide your own trailer connection.

SpyderAnn01
03-13-2014, 09:26 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead: all of this makes me wish I had a new trailer. Tomorrow is the day we again try to rewire my 2010 trailer to work with the 2014 RT.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-13-2014, 10:03 PM
OK, I guess it's time I get busy and post my trailer hitch project showing how to use your five wire trailer with a Spyder. I think somebody at BRP looked around the countryside and saw almost all trailers pulled by cars and trucks as having a four wire system, no separate brake and turn lights and decided that was the standard to follow. Well, they obviously forgot to look to what the motorcycle world does and where 5 wire is quite common. :duh: They incorporate a trailer wiring isolator/converter to go from the on board 5 wire system to 4 wire. I used one of those years ago on my Nissan Maxima. My project will show what you need to know to have a 5 wire trailer supply, and how I did it. My way is not the only way.

So, if you can be patient and wait a couple days I'll have narrative and pics posted.

NancysToy
03-13-2014, 10:03 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead: all of this makes me wish I had a new trailer. Tomorrow is the day we again try to rewire my 2010 trailer to work with the 2014 RT.
It should be easy, since the 2010 trailer was actually 6-wire, with the brakelights separated. Just connect your Spyder turn/brake outputs to the 2010 RT-622 brake wires and you are in business. All they did was stop using the separate turn signals on the trailer...and eventually change the connector. Call me if you get confused and we will walk through it together.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-13-2014, 10:04 PM
You simply can not. My old Goldwing trailer had separate turn and brake lights, I had to wire the turn signals into the brake wire. The spyder trailer module only puts out combined brake and turn.

harry
Yes you can. See my post above.

cptjam
03-13-2014, 10:36 PM
We will be doing that tomorrow. Should be fun!

harrypottar
03-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Yes you can. See my post above.

Yes, I know you can if you wire directly adding your own isolator but the OP stated he wanted to use stock BRP harness.

You can do anything if you do it yourself, on my 2010 RT-622, I swapped out the dummy reverse bulbs for real ones and add reversing lights on mine. Added white LED strip under the inside lip around the complete circumference of the trailer to show every nook and cranny at night. :thumbup:

harry

ChrisW
03-14-2014, 09:29 AM
I have a Tow Ready part Taillight Adapter # 118158 that converts 2 wire to 3 wire for just this condition as I was going to use it on my Jeep to my trailer. Input: Right stop and turn, ground, Left stop and turn. Output: Right turn, stop, left turn and all others bypass the converter.

NancysToy
03-14-2014, 08:35 PM
I have a Tow Ready part Taillight Adapter # 118158 that converts 2 wire to 3 wire for just this condition as I was going to use it on my Jeep to my trailer. Input: Right stop and turn, ground, Left stop and turn. Output: Right turn, stop, left turn and all others bypass the converter.
You can try it, it probably won't hurt anything, but piggybacking converters usually doesn't work, and many converters don't play well with LED lighting. It is worth a try, however. I'd recommend making temporary connections or using additional connectors, so it can be removed easily if it doesn't work.

SpyderAnn01
03-15-2014, 01:10 AM
We got the trailer wired without any problems! Thanks Scotty for all of the great info. Also installed Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light with a strobe feature, Brightsides and from Tric LED front fender lights and an American Flag light. :clap:

NancysToy
03-15-2014, 07:15 AM
We got the trailer wired without any problems! Thanks Scotty for all of the great info. Also installed Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light with a strobe feature, Brightsides and from Tric LED front fender lights and an American Flag light. :clap:

:thumbup: