PDA

View Full Version : How much do you speed?

Dan_Ashley
03-13-2014, 03:55 PM
How much do you speed?

3 Wheel Addict
03-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Not much for me, I'm always on back roads taking in the views and avoid the hiways like the plague!

hchays
03-13-2014, 04:04 PM
I voted for 5/10, but I love the last one... lmao:roflblack:

mindman
03-13-2014, 04:10 PM
My answer depends:
I have two bikes: A BMW R1200RT and a Spyder RT.

- When I'm with my wife on the Spyder, it's generally 5-10 mph over the speed limit - no more. Faster than that and her reaction is worse than a LEO giving out a ticket.:lecturef_smilie:

- When I'm alone on the Beemer, it's generally as fast as I can safely go given traffic, conditions, etc.

Dan_Ashley
03-13-2014, 04:13 PM
My wife has restricted me to ryding in the living room. Can't get up much speed but the bike stays cleaner.

Magdave
03-13-2014, 04:15 PM
The saying around here I had a cop tell me was 8 your great 9 your mine. :dontknow:

OJ UK
03-13-2014, 04:31 PM
In the UK its becoming very difficult to speed without being caught.
The section of Motorway near me has speed cameras every 5-600 yards.
The limits are variable and posted on the overhead gantries. They range from 30
to 70 which is the national speed limit, according to the amount of traffic.
The last time they nailed me was in 1993 on my birthday! 36 mph in a 30 zone.
That was sneaky hand held radar. Such is life.
I'm a qualified DoT motor-cycle instructor and if you can read the road and the traffic
you can speed safely, police drivers and riders do it every day, with or without lights and sirens,
however I don't advocate it.
It's about your state of alertness and your reactions in a given situation.
Sadly many drivers on today's roads don't seem to be imbued with any common sense.
They do stupid things and kill people. I've seen sport bike riders in London doing well over
100mph wearing a crash helmet shorts and sandals with a similarly dressed girl on the pillion
(except she has a top on !). :shocked:
In the poll I've clicked "As fast as I can get away with." I don't take unnecessary risks and I don't
endanger other road users. So a lot of the time I drive within the limit and sometimes I don't.

Jeriatric
03-13-2014, 04:35 PM
the last one... lmao:roflblack:

:wrong::joke:

Ya think someone will check in.....:chat:

Jeriatric
03-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Didn't check one. For me, it's situational.

ARtraveler
03-13-2014, 05:07 PM
I am usually a 5+ posted person. It always gets me through the radar boys without any incidents. No speeding tickets since 2001. :yes::yes:

cuznjohn
03-13-2014, 05:49 PM
our parkway here is monitored by hwy 3 motorcycle division, so we get lucky because most of the cops ride in good weather so they seem to look away sometimes. one of my friends was doing 70 and got pulled over and the cop asked him why he was speeding and he said i just started to go fast, the cop laughed and told him to get out of here. but when riding on long island the troopers are on the parkway and they don't care what you say, if they pull you over your getting a ticket

jScotD
03-13-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm a 5-10 guy most of the time.. on interstate I always liked to center myself between the waves, eventually catching up to what is in front of me.. working my way through to get to the other side.. now this was on a motorcycle.. not the spyder.. as I am still trying to unlearn..over 50 years of 2 wheels.. at least now I don't put my feet down when I stop..

Oh and have had a radar detector since 1978.. In colorado once, mine went off like crazy,, I rode it front and the only time I ever rode with any one he was behind, because I had the RD.. coming to a crest of a hill on inerstate. hit the brakes hard, as we were doing around 90.. topped the hill. and there were 5 state troopers lined up at an angle.. Our bikes were filthy as we were... we went by them --right on the speed limit-- as the guys with the radar guns looked at us suspiciously:ohyea:

then we got on back roads and Headed back to Houston

NetJunkie
03-13-2014, 06:36 PM
I bought the RS-S for a reason...and it wasn't because I couldn't afford the RT. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-13-2014, 07:24 PM
I sell insurance, so I see what a driving record that looks like, "Pig-Tracks" in the snow", does to the cost of the darn stuff! :shocked:
I'm always aware of what the limits are; and I'm never more than 5 mph over... More often than not; I'm right on the limits, or under them on secondary roads...
So get in front of me; you'll scare the deer out of my way! :D

SNOOPY
03-13-2014, 07:33 PM
I interpret the speed limit a little differently than most people. roflmao

Been quite a while since I've had a ticket, don't plan on getting another anytime soon.

You get to know roads and it's easy around here to pick a nice stretch out that a cop can't hide in a cubbyhole on the side of the road.

SAPD911
03-13-2014, 07:49 PM
I write a lot of speeding tickets (give lots of warnings/depends on driving record and conditions), limit for me is 10, but some guys only do 8. School zones are 6

whitjim10
03-13-2014, 07:50 PM
:b2b:

Magdave
03-13-2014, 07:51 PM
One other thing I have noticed since GPS has become common is most speedo's are calibrated a little high to begin with 1-3mph higher from most I have compared to GPS speed.

Some Guy
03-13-2014, 08:07 PM
The saying around here I had a cop tell me was 8 your great 9 your mine. :dontknow:
My nephew (a cop) says something similar: "up to 9 you're fine, over 9 you're mine".

SNOOPY
03-13-2014, 08:10 PM
My sister is a cop, she doesn't do traffic. lol

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-13-2014, 08:18 PM
I used to push up to 9 over, but the past few years tolerances have been reduced, in my observation. At 5 over I've never been stopped, even when being checked by radar. That seems to the safe limit around 90% of the country I've ridden through the past few years. In heavy traffic I try to go with the flow. Interestingly, it seems like the closer you get to a large metropolitan area the more above the posted limit the flow is. In TX last fall 5 over was the norm out in the open, but in Houston I tended to get run over at 10 over, even in rain.

NancysToy
03-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Around here 4 is good on the freeway but 5 will often get you busted. They are less lenient in town.

Dan_Ashley
03-13-2014, 08:47 PM
The only times I blatantly ignore the speed limit is when I have a full bladder accompanied with over active kidneys!

OJ UK
03-13-2014, 08:58 PM
The only times I blatantly ignore the speed limit is when I have a full bladder accompanied with over active kidneys!

Well at least when you get stopped by a cop you'll have a excuse to pee on his boots!! :thumbup:

asp125
03-13-2014, 09:01 PM
I plead the 5th. ;)

jScotD
03-13-2014, 09:03 PM
Houston is craZZZZZy traffic.. I was coming home from work on my motorcycle ,,and a truck had some 50 gallon drums in the back.. at speed, one of the lids was dancing.. and the it came off into the road in front of me:shocked: it was on a various path.. on it's side. then its back, then its side..:yikes: I timed it when it hit it's back again I ran over it.. I had no choice.. I got lucky:pray:

Dan_Ashley
03-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Houston is craZZZZZy traffic.. I was coming home from work on my motorcycle ,,and a truck had some 50 gallon drums in the back.. at speed, one of the lids was dancing.. and the it came off into the road in front of me:shocked: it was on a various path.. on it's side. then its back, then its side..:yikes: I timed it when it hit it's back again I ran over it.. I had no choice.. I got lucky:pray:
Thank God for high powered motors--and that you were not driving a 150cc scooter!

SpyderAnn01
03-13-2014, 09:30 PM
I usually keep it around 9 over on the freeways and in town I stick pretty close to the posted limits.

Blue Star
03-13-2014, 10:42 PM
One other thing I have noticed since GPS has become common is most speedo's are calibrated a little high to begin with 1-3mph higher from most I have compared to GPS speed.

Funny, but both my RT and Prius show two miles per hour faster than what I am going. In town I go 2 -3 mph over (or posted), and on the slab I go 5 - 7 over (3 - 5 over.

The other day I was in the car pool lane, and a Ford Ranger was behind me, and not happy going 73 (posted 70). I was NOT going to cross a double yellow line to let him pass me, but would have when the lane changed to white (to enter/exit), but he decided he could not wait. He crossed over the double yellow line, motioned for me to move over, and gave me the one finger solute. I started to get mad, but remembered he was in the car pool lane alone, speeding, and crossed a double yellow line twice. I wonder how much the ticket would have cost, and smiled as I went my merry way.

SteveMac
03-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Funny, but both my RT and Prius show two miles per hour faster than what I am going. In town I go 2 -3 mph over (or posted), and on the slab I go 5 - 7 over (3 - 5 over.

The other day I was in the car pool lane, and a Ford Ranger was behind me, and not happy going 73 (posted 70). I was NOT going to cross a double yellow line to let him pass me, but would have when the lane changed to white (to enter/exit), but he decided he could not wait. He crossed over the double yellow line, motioned for me to move over, and gave me the one finger solute. I started to get mad, but remembered he was in the car pool lane alone, speeding, and crossed a double yellow line twice. I wonder how much the ticket would have cost, and smiled as I went my merry way.

Good move. I used to let folks like that tick me off too. Now I just do my thing and let em roll on. Let it ruin their day not mine!

:thumbup:

bruiser
03-13-2014, 10:59 PM
I usually do no more than 9 over on the interstate and still get run over. I95 through NC is typically LEO free except in Roanoke Rapids near the northern boarder and Lumberton near the southern boarder. I85 is usually full of LEOs. Around Goldsboro, 5 over is the limit. School zones, you better be doing the posted limit.

I95 in Virginia is LEO heaven. They're wall to wall. And in Emporia they'll nail you for 5 over. Especially the city cops who patrol their stretch of I95.

CanAmKidd
03-14-2014, 05:29 AM
We'll leave it as the guy on the harley was impressed "that thing runs purtty good". ;)

RodMyers
03-14-2014, 06:11 AM
How much do you speed?

On the freeway, I usually see the "speed limit" twice. Once accelerating, abs once decelerating ;-)

+5 is usually my limit

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Lamonster
03-14-2014, 06:27 AM
I've been rearended on the freeway on my bike so I like to go just a little faster than traffic most of the time.

MouthPiece
03-14-2014, 06:31 AM
I chose "as fast as it's safe". I'm not sure though that I would subscribe to "phooey with limits". I realize they are needed. However, I'm of the opinion that speeders are safer driver/riders. (Nope......I don't have anything to support that opinion)

Chris

Bob Denman
03-14-2014, 06:53 AM
So... Where's all of the folks, who were crowing about the adrenaline rushes? :dontknow:
We've only got a few so far... :D

Rid'nrandy
03-14-2014, 06:56 AM
I go 5 over normally (using the gps), but like Lamonster, on the Interstate I go with the flow of the traffic and sometimes that's 10 or 15 above. ;)
We're heading South to Florida next Thursday on my wife's new RT-L and we'll be hurrying to get to the warmer weather! :yes:

SNOOPY
03-14-2014, 07:10 AM
I chose "as fast as it's safe". I'm not sure thought that I would subscribe to "phooey with limits". I realize they are needed. However, I'm of the opinion that speeders are safer driver/riders. (Nope......I don't have anything to support that opinion)

Chris

I agree, but to a point. Many speeders are aware of what they are doing, not trying to talk and text while doing it, and seem to pay more attention to traffic so no one jumps in front of them and causes an issue. But then you have those few that are just idiots going fast to go fast w no regard to anyone, you see them sometimes just weaving all over the place through traffic or blast by you at 30-40 over the speed limit. Just plain stupid passing someone on an interstate doing 25 plus mph more than they are going IMO

I think I ride my Spyder slower and safer than my other vehicles for 2 reasons...new to the bike world...and being in an open environment.

redflasher
03-14-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm retired LEO so I stay at the limit. By the way, Minnesota logged its first motorcycle fatality of 2014 a couple days ago. Guy on crotch rocket hit one of the thousands of pot holes opened up by our brutal winter. Witness claims the rider was doing around 100 mph but no way to really know.

DRTSB
03-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Not worth it to me, I'm afraid if I get pinched again, they will come and take me away to the funny farm, however sometimes my tach does go up to 7000

Dave ;)

dndfindley
03-14-2014, 09:26 AM
I write a lot of speeding tickets (give lots of warnings/depends on driving record and conditions), limit for me is 10, but some guys only do 8. School zones are 6

I was a police officer for a bit over 11 years. I never wrote speeding citations. I would use speed as a reason to stop someone in order to check for other violations such as DUI, suspended DL etc, but if everything else checked out they got a warning. I was not too popular with the higher up's. Except in cases of excessive speed it is not the killer it is made out to be. That is propaganda used to justify speeding tickets which for the most part are written for revenue.

dndfindley
03-14-2014, 09:28 AM
How much do you speed?

As Michael Douglas said once in a movie "I view traffic signs and lights as suggestions." That's pretty much the way I look at it:)

dndfindley
03-14-2014, 09:31 AM
I used to push up to 9 over, but the past few years tolerances have been reduced, in my observation. At 5 over I've never been stopped, even when being checked by radar. That seems to the safe limit around 90% of the country I've ridden through the past few years. In heavy traffic I try to go with the flow. Interestingly, it seems like the closer you get to a large metropolitan area the more above the posted limit the flow is. In TX last fall 5 over was the norm out in the open, but in Houston I tended to get run over at 10 over, even in rain.

I75 thru downtown Atlanta is posted at 55. Except when congested the flow is usually around 80. If you go 55 or 60 you risk being rear ended. I go with the flow.

dndfindley
03-14-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm retired LEO so I stay at the limit. By the way, Minnesota logged its first motorcycle fatality of 2014 a couple days ago. Guy on crotch rocket hit one of the thousands of pot holes opened up by our brutal winter. Witness claims the rider was doing around 100 mph but no way to really know.

Speed limits are always set artificially too low. In very locations has the 85 percentile method been used to determine limits. Unless I am held up by traffic I never drive the limit.

Bob Denman
03-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Not worth it to me, I'm afraid if I get pinched again, they will come and take me away to the funny farm, however sometimes my tach does go up to 7000

Dave ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-eafUBULWA
We can't let this happen to you... :roflblack:

dndfindley
03-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Speed limits are always set artificially too low. In very locations has the 85 percentile method been used to determine limits. Unless I am held up by traffic I never drive the limit.

Correction: Should have said "In very FEW locations has the 85 percentile method been used to determine limits."

MouthPiece
03-14-2014, 10:03 AM
[.PARTIAL QUOTE: SNOOPY But then you have those few that are just idiots going fast to go fast w no regard to anyone, you see them sometimes just weaving all over the place through traffic or blast by you at 30-40 over the speed limit. Just plain stupid passing someone on an interstate doing 25 plus mph more than they are going IMO]

I couldn't agree more.

Chris

Flanker
03-14-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm quite particular about following the posted limit in towns/villages. This a very rural area, and pissing off the local gendarmerie will make your life miserable..........................they know where you live. Out on the highway or freeway, I drive as fast as it's safe (for others and me), but usually am within 10 mph of the posted limit.

BTW: It's usually speed differential that's the problem, not speed per se. People driving significantly under the limit are just as hazardous as people driving significantly over the limit. And those pale in comparison to the scourge of dipsticks playing with their modern electronics while driving!

Bob Denman
03-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm quite particular about following the posted limit in towns/villages. This a very rural area, and pissing off the local gendarmerie will make your life miserable..........................they know where you live.
:agree: Any dog knows enough not to crap where it has to sleep... :thumbup: nojoke

jvicker
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
I think its a law to be 10 miles over at all times here in Wisconsin.:thumbup:

Copperman
03-14-2014, 12:02 PM
How much do you speed?

I'm a left lane kind of guy. I stay there and move two to three MPH faster than everyone. Rarely am I passed.

Edsts
03-14-2014, 12:28 PM
That would be with couple very experience high pace riders at the early morning ride when highways were empty or late nite . Now I still do my 75 to 80 most of the time on my gsxr and sts . But on the track 120 or better .

Speeding on the track is like no other feeling power sliding drifting down shifting coming out them corners like a bat out if he'll . some Wheelies , Indos, still do all of that on Saturday in empty parking lots . Oh and the spider is different kind of fun too .

MidTNDawg
03-14-2014, 02:45 PM
In 1981 riding to Oregon we were in MT and had to get an owner to open at 9:00 P.M. to buy gas. Sheriff stopped by because the station was open. Sheriff told me where his "boys" would be and where the Idaho Falls police would begin patrolling. We covered 100 mile in 60 minutes. Wife had no idea of our speed as the speedometer was covered by a tank bag. Oh yeah. We were on a BMW with one of Jimmy Carter's 85 mph speedometers. The one hour included speed up and slow down time. On the RT's it has been pretty much the 5-10 rule . . . but not always.

Bob Denman
03-14-2014, 02:56 PM
If we survive our "Youth"; it's surprising how easy it is, to grow, "old and responsible", along the way! :thumbup: :D

Dan_Ashley
03-14-2014, 04:12 PM
If we survive our "Youth"; it's surprising how easy it is, to grow, "old and responsible", along the way! :thumbup: :D
I have not yet survived my youth. However, I actually have been attempting to do that for the last 64 years. nojoke:shemademe_smilie:

coz
03-14-2014, 04:25 PM
156 votes out of thousands of members, there's no point.:lecturef_smilie: polls are useless. jmho.:gaah:

PW2013STL
03-14-2014, 04:40 PM
YES - 90% of the time. Last ticket was for doing 81 in a 60 zone, but they offered a $75.00 class and once I took that they tossed the ticket.:yes:

den1953
03-14-2014, 06:24 PM
I generally, but not always try to keep at 5 mph over any given speed limit. There are exceptions when I fear getting run over from behind. Mostly on highways entering our town there are posted 35 mph speed limits but many come in at 55 to 60 all the way until there's a traffic light or a sharp turn. On Interstate 75 near here we had a 65 mph limit until last summer when it was raised to 70 mph. I preferred the old limit and going 70 mph but now the cagers push up to about 80 mph and that's getting outside of my comfort zone, especially with my wife on the back.

Dan_Ashley
03-14-2014, 06:40 PM
I went 85 on the San Bernardino Freeway (I-10 in San Bernardino) today. I had to out run that dirt truck that had gravel blowing off it.

flaggerphil
03-14-2014, 06:54 PM
I generally travel around 5mph over the limit, except in residential areas. I don't speed in them.

SNOOPY
03-14-2014, 07:02 PM
I75 thru downtown Atlanta is posted at 55. Except when congested the flow is usually around 80. If you go 55 or 60 you risk being rear ended. I go with the flow.

This is true in many spots along our interstates.

SNOOPY
03-14-2014, 07:04 PM
I was a police officer for a bit over 11 years. I never wrote speeding citations. I would use speed as a reason to stop someone in order to check for other violations such as DUI, suspended DL etc, but if everything else checked out they got a warning. I was not too popular with the higher up's. Except in cases of excessive speed it is not the killer it is made out to be. That is propaganda used to justify speeding tickets which for the most part are written for revenue.

Wow, so true :thumbup:

SNOOPY
03-14-2014, 07:09 PM
156 votes out of thousands of members, there's no point.:lecturef_smilie: polls are useless. jmho.:gaah:

Polls on any forum are just for fun. Lol

SNOOPY
03-14-2014, 07:12 PM
I generally travel around 5mph over the limit, except in residential areas. I don't speed in them.

Good of point at staying in the limit in residential areas, never know when someone's kid could jump out in front of you. And good practice even during the day when you think everyone is at work or school.

Just not worth the possible consequences, much less a ticket.

NancysToy
03-14-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm a left lane kind of guy. I stay there and move two to three MPH faster than everyone. Rarely am I passed.
It's illegal to remain in the left lane in Michigan, except when passing or allowing traffic to merge. The State Poliuce are on a campaign to reduce this dangerous practice, and it will get you a ticket far more quickly than speeding will here right now.

smurfette
03-14-2014, 09:50 PM
On the advice of my attorney, I am invoking my Fifth Amendment Right against self-incrimination, and refuse to answer any questions......:rolleyes::roflblack::roflblack:

jScotD
03-14-2014, 09:55 PM
:thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-14-2014, 11:12 PM
I went 85 on the San Bernardino Freeway (I-10 in San Bernardino) today. I had to out run that dirt truck that had gravel blowing off it.
You need to outrun that truck even if there ain't no dirt blowing off it. nojoke

Ever been to a "No Zone" training session? Three things you NEVER want to do on a bike; Ride close behind a semi; Ride alongside a semi; Ride in front of a semi. Semis throw rocks and tire debris which can kill you if you get hit, and they can't stop near as fast as you can. I try to stay way back, or in the lane to their left but not real close. Then when it's all clear give it hell and get past the d*** thing as fast as you can, then drop back to your cruising speed and when you have plenty of room behind move over in front of the truck. And make sure the driver sees you. The "No Zone" refers to those areas where either the driver can't see you (behind, alongside, and in front), or you risk being hit by trash coming off or being kicked up by the truck.

Semis ain't nothin' to mess with, let alone make love to on the road! :lecturef_smilie:

MidTNDawg
03-14-2014, 11:28 PM

No exaggeration, we went through on a Sat. night about 11:00 P.M. in our motor home. I ran about 75 and DID NOT keep up with traffic.

missouriboy
03-15-2014, 12:47 AM
It's illegal to remain in the left lane in Michigan, except when passing or allowing traffic to merge. The State Poliuce are on a campaign to reduce this dangerous practice, and it will get you a ticket far more quickly than speeding will here right now.It's illegal most everywhere, I think, isn't it? I wish it was enforced everywhere, like you describe. But then, in most states, all the LEOs cruise in the passing lane, no matter their speed. What's up with that? Do they think they're above the law? :gaah:

Here in Texas the signs say LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY, and the signs are the same size, shape and color as the speed limit signs... so doesn't that make them equal in law?

I never cruise in the passing lane, except in cities where everyone does and I am high-speed "thru traffic," going along with the flow's highest sustained speed. Even then, if some hotshot wants to pass, I move over and let him. I think left-lane cruising at any speed under the current "flow" is a major cause of road-rage... nobody owns the passing lane!

Disclaimer: this applies when I'm in my cage. I ryde the spYder below the limit, usually, and stay in the rightmost lane. Here in Texas, even the 2-lane Farm To Market roads have full-width paved shoulders, and if I'm under the limit I always move over to let people pass me. I like to cruise only 55-60 because of the constant Texas wind tiring my neck muscles. And when missourigirl is with me, she's getting the wind worse than I am.

My problem with speeding is on semi-rural roads where the limit is a ridiculous 30 or 40. We have four miles of this between us and grocery shopping, so I use cruise-control there to keep me out of trouble.

SNOOPY
03-15-2014, 06:24 AM
It's illegal to remain in the left lane in Michigan, except when passing or allowing traffic to merge. The State Poliuce are on a campaign to reduce this dangerous practice, and it will get you a ticket far more quickly than speeding will here right now.

That makes no sense. We pay for the roads and they are going to tell you which one you can or can't use?

That would fail in court here so fast it isnt funny.

SNOOPY
03-15-2014, 06:27 AM
It's illegal most everywhere, I think, isn't it? I wish it was enforced everywhere, like you describe.....

Never even heard of this before and have been driving for over 30 years.

Why would you not be allowed to use a lane of traffic?

No way that would fly around here w/ how much traffic we have!

Bob Denman
03-15-2014, 06:31 AM
It's not illegal here in New York...
but it is STRONGLY discouraged! :shocked:

SNOOPY
03-15-2014, 06:32 AM
This is what we have....Slower Traffic Keep Right

http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left-lane-passing-laws-a-state-by-state-map

Dan_Ashley
03-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Here is a slower traffic keep left sign. The photo also shows my path through by splitting traffic on my Vespa.

NancysToy
03-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Here is a slower traffic keep left sign. The photo also shows my path through by splitting traffic on my Vespa.

Splitting lanes is only legal in CA.

Dan_Ashley
03-15-2014, 03:49 PM
...and don't get me wrong. That photo was a joke. Splitting traffic is very dangerous...

Dan_Ashley
03-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Don't get me wrong. That photo was a joke...splitting lanes is very dangerous. A guy just a few minutes ago went down on the 60 freeway because he was splitting lanes. He was going maybe 30 and the cars were going 20 or so. He was broken pretty badly.

P.S. Edit: I don't know why this posted twice...but in the mean time, I'm gonna blame it on the wind too.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-15-2014, 05:43 PM
And in the UK, at least back in 1989. When I lived there for a year I had a Kawasaki 440. Splitting lanes was normal practice for bike riders. Come up to a light between 2 lines of cars and when the light changed there was no problem getting in front of them. Also, shoulder riding was the norm to get past traffic backups.

Bob Denman
03-15-2014, 06:22 PM
If I find myself in THAT much of a hurry to get somewhere; I just leave 15 minutes earlier! :D nojoke

Illinois Boy
03-15-2014, 06:39 PM
That makes no sense. We pay for the roads and they are going to tell you which one you can or can't use?

That would fail in court here so fast it isnt funny.

You pay for a lot of things that you are not allowed to use at your discretion.:banghead:

In Illinois is is illegal to be in the left lane for more than three-miles at a time. :banghead:

Most people were taught that the left lane is NOT a cruising lane, no matter your average speed; but rather is a PASSING LANE:banghead:

Hogging the left lane is the biggest cause of road rage; and it is easy to see why.

Don't bother getting an attorney in Illinois for your claim of illegality... you would lose. ;)

Bob Denman
03-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Common sense and courtesy, seem to be lost arts; out on the the highway anymore! :shocked:

SNOOPY
03-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Common sense and courtesy, seem to be lost arts; out on the the highway anymore! :shocked:

And on forums. :shocked:

SNOOPY
03-15-2014, 07:54 PM
You pay for a lot of things that you are not allowed to use at your discretion.:banghead:

In Illinois is is illegal to be in the left lane for more than three-miles at a time. :banghead:

Most people were taught that the left lane is NOT a cruising lane, no matter your average speed; but rather is a PASSING LANE:banghead:

Hogging the left lane is the biggest cause of road rage; and it is easy to see why.

Don't bother getting an attorney in Illinois for your claim of illegality... you would lose. ;)

I'd be OJ Simpson on a Spyder. :D

Dan_Ashley
03-15-2014, 09:00 PM
I'd be OJ Simpson on a Spyder. :D

When he was being chased by the police he was really slow. When he was chased by opposing football teams he was really fast.

So, are you slow, or fast. Or does it depend on how alluring the speed is?

LLSailor
03-15-2014, 09:43 PM
was enough to get me stopped on Fort Leavenworth. I mentioned that I never got out of 1st gear.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-15-2014, 10:46 PM
If I find myself in THAT much of a hurry to get somewhere; I just leave 15 minutes earlier! :D nojoke
I should have mentioned that lane splitting in the UK was pretty much only done to get around stopped traffic, or traffic moving very slow, not out on the open highway.

Another rule of driving that became quite clear to me in the UK, probably because traffic is so dense everywhere over there. "No matter how fast you drive on the road, someone will come up behind you wanting to drive faster. And no matter how slow you want to drive you will come up behind someone who wants to drive slower."

missouriboy
03-16-2014, 05:18 AM

Don't bother getting an attorney in Illinois for your claim of illegality... you would lose. ;)This post has it just about right. Those of us old enough to remember when all the major roads were only two lanes, and driving behind strings of semi-trucks with never enough room to pass, understand the original reason for that verrrrry expensive extra lane... it was for PASSING, not for creating TWO lanes with a long string of bumper-to-bumper traffic and no place to pass.

We now have one or two generations of people who don't even know that, and go merrily along cruising at the speed limit, or less, acting like that lane was put there just for their own personal pleasure. Road Rage? You bet!

Hey, I wondered why driving in Illinois was more pleasant than in Missouri! :doorag:

(Missouri says SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT but it's not enforced. It's a lot of fun being on the 3-lane I-70 in west St. Louis with three vehicles exactly side-by-side for miles and miles. :gaah: )

SNOOPY
03-16-2014, 07:59 AM
When he was being chased by the police he was really slow. When he was chased by opposing football teams he was really fast.

So, are you slow, or fast. Or does it depend on how alluring the speed is?

Depends who's chasing me? Or if I'm just chasing my tail? :dontknow:

ijon1
03-16-2014, 08:49 AM
This just my opinion, but I think people that do very high speed and do a racing kind of lane changing are the cause of a lot of accidents.

cuznjohn
03-16-2014, 08:55 AM
when i was on two wheels i would only lane split in heavy traffic to the next exit. now with the spyder my riding buddies still do it and i just tell them i will meet them where we are going

Dan_Ashley
03-16-2014, 12:15 PM
One brave soul admitted in the poll that he is dead! ONE!

who are you? how did you meet your demise? do they have motorcycles, beer, and hamburgers in heaven?

NancysToy
03-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Another rule of driving that became quite clear to me in the UK, probably because traffic is so dense everywhere over there. "No matter how fast you drive on the road, someone will come up behind you wanting to drive faster. And no matter how slow you want to drive you will come up behind someone who wants to drive slower."

Truer words were never spoken!

jScotD
03-16-2014, 09:53 PM
i'll admit to being dead at one time.. well, er.. 3 times in one night.. and what a remembrance that was.. I went places I've never seen before...... they had to put a battery charger on me.. and when I finally woke up 3 days later in ICU .. and the nurse said.. glad to see you joined us.. I said.. yea, and if i had been on my motorcycle this would have never happened.. she said that , I didn't want to hear and your hair is nasty.. so she got in the bed and washed my hair.. what an AngeL... and man was she greasy when she got through.. ... I was a mess.. 47 days later I was released to be on my own.. was i speeding.. no more than normal.. but the guy that rearened me in a curve was going faster than me.. gee.. sure would have liked to have talked to his insurance company.. but they never found him

Dan_Ashley
03-16-2014, 09:56 PM
i'll admit to being dead at one time.. well, er.. 3 times in one night.. and what a remembrance that was.. I went places I've never seen before...... they had to put a battery charger on me.. and when I finally woke up 3 days later in ICU .. and the nurse said.. glad to see you joined us.. I said.. yea, and if i had been on my motorcycle this would have never happened.. she said that , I didn't want to hear and your hair is nasty.. so she got in the bed and washed my hair.. what an AngeL... and man was she greasy when she got through.. ... I was a mess.. 47 days later I was released to be on my own.. was i speeding.. no more than normal.. but the guy that rearened me in a curve was going faster than me.. gee.. sure would have liked to have talked to his insurance company.. but they never found himhis karma has found him already...

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-15-2014, 04:57 PM
In NY long island expressway speed limit is 55, on the parkway it's 50........
i have a yamaha 125 scooter that does that, hell yea my spyder goes a lot faster, 10 - 15 over on
highway & parkway, i'm not going out to montauk & take 2 hours doing so without traffic. i don't
race or blow past others at 90 or 100 but i'm not going to ride it like a granny either.

SPYD3R
07-15-2014, 05:07 PM
HOW DID I MISS THIS POST.....?

I MOSTLY KEEP UP WITH TRAFFIC... BUT IF THE ROADS ARE CLEAR, I'M 5 OVER IN THE CITY, 10 OVER ON THE HIGHWAYS....
BUT IT'S NOT ABOUT SPEED.... IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THE RIDE.... THE FASTER YOU GO, THE SHORTER THE RIDE.... :thumbup:
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

Chupaca
07-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Don't want to be the leader nor block traffic. So I ryde in the pack. But if things are wide open I will run away from the crowd. This of course on the freeways..which I avoid...

billrob71
07-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Dam I missed this one too

my speed depends on where I'm at and if I am by myself or have a passenger. If I'm by myself and know the road and it's clear of traffic speedo will see triple digits I have a passenger I stay close to speed limit no matter where I'm at , if I'm on the highway I keep up with traffic maybe a little above.

dadof4
07-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Don't need a ticket and I like to enjoy the ride. I'm usually within 5mph of the limit.