PDA

View Full Version : Get a tank of bad fuel, what...

figmotoday
03-13-2014, 11:27 AM
do you do?

Bob Denman
03-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Drain the tank, and change the fuel filter... ;)

figmotoday
03-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Hi Bob,
Do use fuel additive? If so, what type & frequency? I'm wondering if a fuel additive can help crappy fuel when I do long hauls & get away from my usual fuel stops.

GuitarPlayer
03-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Last year, coming home to Iowa from Minnesota, I got an inferior tank of gas. It was premium and I think it hadn't been purchased in a while. I noticed it because I got terrible fuel mileage from that tank of gas. All I did was fill up with another tank and the Spyder ran fine the rest of the way home.

I suppose though it all depends on how bad the gas was.

Tony

NancysToy
03-13-2014, 12:24 PM
In my opinion your best bet is to siphon out as much of the crap as you can, add some Marine Stabil or Seafoam, fill with fresh gas, and try to run that tank through. Repeat the fuel stabilizer with the next fill too, and run that through just for luck. Depending on the problem with the gas (like E85 or even E15 by mistake) the fuel can do some serious damage, so that is why I recommend siponing out as much as you can. Draining a tank with an internal fuel pump is very difficult, so siphoning is quicker and easier. You can buy a length of tubing and a gas can in almost every town.

Cavman
03-13-2014, 02:29 PM
I did some looking on the Internet and found several inexpensive siphons. Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc carries them. Some less the five bucks. They don't require you suck on a hose which can ruin your day and give a bad breath.

ulflyer
03-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Techron is a favorite on BOBs Oil Forum.

I used it on my '11 ...an ounce per tank every once and awhile. I never had any fuel problems; just used it in hopes of keeping fuel system clean.

SAPD911
03-13-2014, 05:36 PM
WOT

IGETAROUND
03-13-2014, 06:18 PM
I did some looking on the Internet and found several inexpensive siphons. Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc carries them. Some less the five bucks. They don't require you suck on a hose which can ruin your day and give a bad breath.

Not to mention dangerous with that next smoke:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Saluda
03-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Sold in many places, inexpensive. Laughed at it until I tried it. Now I own two. You just shake the end with the marble while it's submerged. Fairly fast also.

NancysToy
03-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Techron is a favorite on BOBs Oil Forum.

I used it on my '11 ...an ounce per tank every once and awhile. I never had any fuel problems; just used it in hopes of keeping fuel system clean.

Techron is great stuff for cleaning fuel systems. Most auto techs I know recommend using it a couple of times a year. It will deal with some water or ethanol in the fuel, but not as well as the HD stabilizers do. I have found it takes 2-4 times the normal dose to do any good.

figmotoday
03-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Thanx for all feedback. Now I have a plan of attack.

Flanker
03-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Techron is great stuff for cleaning fuel systems. Most auto techs I know recommend using it a couple of times a year. It will deal with some water or ethanol in the fuel, but not as well as the HD stabilizers do. I have found it takes 2-4 times the normal dose to do any good.

Sure! Suggest something practical, and effective! Hhmmphh!!!! I was gonna suggest any ignition source would still make it burn. :joke:

smurfette
03-14-2014, 10:05 PM
It happened once with my Smurfette, got a bad tank of gas that evidently had some water in it. I took it to the service department at my dealer, they took a listen to it,and they suggested I put in some Stabil, and get some fresh gas. Praise be, after a few "hiccups", it worked! As a result, I now add Startron with every fill up, and she runs nice and smooth. PS It's good for all engines, automotive, motorcycle, etc.