PDA

View Full Version : I was wrong, the loud noise is still there.

bluestratos
03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
I am not sure what happened but the loud noise my 14' is making is still there. When we took the bikes out on Sunday afternoon I had my helmet closed which muffles the noise nicely. Last night it was warm (50's) so I rode as I prefer to, open face and dang.... the noise is there as loud as ever. You only hear when moving above say 10 mph. The sound is consistent and only changes slightly with speed. It is not RPM related or gear related, just as steady loud noise that is very hard to describe. It is loud enough to compete with the Radio so I have to have the radio up way too loud now.

Has any other 2014 RTSE6 noticed this sound?

Nils888
03-13-2014, 09:42 AM
I don't here any noise like that on my Spyder. Below 10 mph I can hear the brake rotors and pads scraping.

Jeriatric
03-13-2014, 10:03 AM
May or may not be the same but, Dave had a similar complaint. Both his tech and I (independently and unknowing of the others diagnosis ) found it to be intake related. fwiw

Cruzr Joe
03-13-2014, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Nils888;773986]I don't here any noise like that on my Spyder. Below 10 mph I can hear the brake rotors and pads scraping.

:hun:, i would get that fixed right away, seems like that could be a real problem.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Have you been able to track it back to a particular section of the bike? :dontknow:

bluestratos
03-13-2014, 12:28 PM
It appears to be coming from the front , about under the gauge cluster.

bluestratos
03-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Where you able to eliminate it?

May or may not be the same but, Dave had a similar complaint. Both his tech and I (independently and unknowing of the others diagnosis ) found it to be intake related. fwiw

bodymanpainter
03-13-2014, 12:31 PM
I am not sure what happened but the loud noise my 14' is making is still there. When we took the bikes out on Sunday afternoon I had my helmet closed which muffles the noise nicely. Last night it was warm (50's) so I rode as I prefer to, open face and dang.... the noise is there as loud as ever. You only hear when moving above say 10 mph. The sound is consistent and only changes slightly with speed. It is not RPM related or gear related, just as steady loud noise that is very hard to describe. It is loud enough to compete with the Radio so I have to have the radio up way too loud now.

Mine is noisy at highway speeds also I was going to pull the front trunk 0ff and check the snorkle but if yours
is still doing it I may just wait and see what happens in the future.
It does drownd out the radio so I listen to my music with my headsets for now.
Sure hope this isn't normal.
Toby

Jeriatric
03-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Where you able to eliminate it?

Short answer. No, it's one of those nature of the beast things. Now, this does not mean there's not a work around. In Daves case once he was confident nothing serious was wrong he stopped questioning it.

That said. Not sure if the two intersect or not but on our recent trip. He was less than happy about not being able to hear the radio through the bikes speaker system, at highway speeds. He wears a jawless, shieldless helmet, and runs with the windshield full up.

bluestratos
03-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Most people I have spoken with say they do not have the problem but every so often someone says they too cannot hear the radio due to this loud sound. I listened to a video recording a guy did of driving his 14 and it was very quiet at all speeds. Sam also says his is quiet, he picked his up about 2 weeks ago. I need to take a ride on few other units to compare but I doubt this noise can be considered normal or acceptable. It is not a mechanical, vibration or exhaust noise and RPM makes little difference.

cuznjohn
03-13-2014, 04:53 PM
lifted the bike and spun the wheels to see if you can generate the noise to see where it is coming from

bluestratos
03-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes,tried that, no noise there at all. I wish I could better describe it, it is somewhat a gurgle loud noise emanating from in-front of me but not past the beginning of the frunk lid as best I can tell.

Jeriatric
03-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Most people I have spoken with say they do not have the problem but every so often someone says they too cannot hear the radio due to this loud sound. I listened to a video recording a guy did of driving his 14 and it was very quiet at all speeds. Sam also says his is quiet, he picked his up about 2 weeks ago. I need to take a ride on few other units to compare but I doubt this noise can be considered normal or acceptable. It is not a mechanical, vibration or exhaust noise and RPM makes little difference.

Have you done a helmet off check? Depending on your helmet style, type, it could be amplyfying the noise. Just a thought.

cuznjohn
03-13-2014, 05:45 PM
i would say check the speedo cable, but with all electronic today that leaves that out. after they replaced my rear tire i had a horrid squeal from the rear brake but thank god that went away. if i get a noise in the car i go nuts trying to find it. who knows what it could be.

bluestratos
03-13-2014, 06:24 PM
I have not tried a helmet off try, I will swap over to my 3/4 summer helmet to check that out.

Bob Ledford
03-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Mine is noisy at highway speeds also I was going to pull the front trunk 0ff and check the snorkle but if yours
is still doing it I may just wait and see what happens in the future.
It does drownd out the radio so I listen to my music with my headsets for now.
Sure hope this isn't normal.
Toby

Check the front wheel bearings?

bodymanpainter
03-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Check the front wheel bearings?

Could the wheel bearings be bad on a new bike?

DrewNJ
03-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Is it an intake howl or whistle?

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

ACES WILD
03-13-2014, 09:03 PM
:dontknow:Mine is quite as a mouse, must not be normal.:popcorn:

Nils888
03-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Maybe the are box lid is off. The air box is rite under the area you say the noise is coming from.

SpyderAnn01
03-13-2014, 09:24 PM
It seems that every review I have read about the '14 they reference a throaty growl or some such words.
Could it be you just aren't used to that third piston rattling around?

Of course, I have yet to even see a '14 so what do I know?

They definitely do sound different. One thing I have noticed on both the 2014 that I have ridden is that they are louder at low speed. When you get to freeway speed they seem to quiet down.

Bob Denman
03-14-2014, 07:31 AM
My solution: turn the radio up!! :2thumbs: :D :joke:

bluestratos
03-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Well if this normal I can't tell you how much I hate the sound and the bike the bike then so I hope not. I have discovered that it seems to get worse at times so it comes and goes a bit.

Bob Denman
03-14-2014, 10:13 AM
The airbox was mentioned. If it's an "intake-honk" that you're getting; the airbox lid is a pretty likely suspect... :shocked:
Something's loose somewhere; the fun part comes in finding it! nojoke
Good Luck, and please let us know what you do find! :thumbup:

bodymanpainter
03-14-2014, 12:09 PM
The airbox was mentioned. If it's an "intake-honk" that you're getting; the airbox lid is a pretty likely suspect... :shocked:
Something's loose somewhere; the fun part comes in finding it! nojoke
Good Luck, and please let us know what you do find! :thumbup:

That's what I was thinking it is so when I get the time I will take this thing apart and find it!
It can't be normal as the one we test rode was quite at highway speeds.
Toby

Omcge
03-14-2014, 07:31 PM

I have about 500 miles on mine and I have a mechanical noise that sounds like a dozen sewing machines at 30-50 mph and no load.
It goes away on slight acceleration and deceleration.
Above 50 the wind and road noise cancels it.
That's one reason that I want a different exhaust that will hide the noise.

bluestratos
03-15-2014, 09:58 AM
If the noise is not normal then it will be my dealers problem to located it, I hope to go down and test ride another one to compare.

bluestratos
03-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Well I took a demo ride at my dealership today and it has the exact same sound once it warms up so I am guessing it is just the way it is. I am trying to ignore it but it really sucks to buy a new machine that sounds like this. Theirs was much quieter than mine for the first mile then it quickly got to the same condition as mine. One thing I can say, the alignment was out on the test ride, mine feels like it is on rails, the test ride was very quirky and wind pushed it around a lot.