PDA

View Full Version : Would BRP ever

SpyderRx
03-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Put the SE6 behind the 990 in the ST or RS? Didn't know if this combo would work or not but don't remember this being mentioned as a possibility.

Wiredux
03-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Who knows what they have in store for the 2015

chuck gross
03-12-2014, 11:18 PM
There has been some talk about putting the 1330 in the ST and RS since they beefed up the frames in 2013. In fact my dealer thinks we will see it for 2015 but has not heard anything ( official )

otter28169
03-13-2014, 03:45 AM
There has been some talk about putting the 1330 in the ST and RS since they beefed up the frames in 2013. In fact my dealer thinks we will see it for 2015 but has not heard anything ( official )

I hope the 1330 never finds it's way into an RS. If they are going to change the motor in the RS the 1330 would be a lateral move..........at best. I am hoping they put something a little hotter under the tupperware.

Just sayin'............

Bob Denman
03-13-2014, 06:54 AM
I don't think thgat you'd see the six-speed hooked up to the 991 series engine...
That tranny gives the 1330 a chance to run at the lower rpms that it needs for it's best power output.
The Vee-Twins love to rev... :thumbup:

NancysToy
03-13-2014, 07:08 AM
The transmission isn't separate, so it can't be transplanted to the 991 engine. That engine design originally had a 6-speed in the Aprilia, but for the Spyder the sixth gear was given up to add the reverse gear. A sixth gear in the 991 would be needless, except as an overdrive. The engine touque band doen't need a close-ration trans to function well. A true overdrive might be usefull, but only at freeway speeds. As it is, the 991 Spyder is barely into the power band at 75 mph in fifth. Lugging along at those speeds might not save any gas at all...if the ere was even enough horsepower to keep you moving forward.

DrewNJ
03-13-2014, 07:49 AM
The 6th gear in the Aprilia gears isn't a full gear drop compared to 5th in the spyder. It's like a 5 1/2 gear...lol. on the highway it's a bit lower but not much.

You have to swap out the gear set but it all fits. You do lose reverse. Not worth the effort.
The guy I know running the Aprilia motor did the opposite and put the spyder 5 speed gears in the Aprilia case. But he did it more because of the output shaft length.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

flamingobabe
03-13-2014, 08:24 AM
I would bet the 1330 shows up in the ST.....otter28169.....hoping for a beefier sound on the ST....the 2014 RT is too smooth for a ST....needs some ump......sound

Bob Denman
03-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Let's wait and see what shows up for 2015... :D
How about: :dontknow:
A 1330 6-speed in the ST
A fully-articulated and leaning, RS

...Just sayin'...

KX5062
03-13-2014, 08:39 AM
I hope the 1330 never finds it's way into an RS. If they are going to change the motor in the RS the 1330 would be a lateral move..........at best. I am hoping they put something a little hotter under the tupperware.

Just sayin'............

I completely disagree. The new 1330 motor is HOT. It has way more zip than the old motor, plus it is smoother, more refined, and the transmission qualities are much beyond the older bike. If you lightened the overall bike from the 2014 RT to the RS/GS specs, I'd wager it would really scoot since the new RT is amazingly quick for such a heavy platform.

SpyderRx
03-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Great info. I guess we will see what happens in about 6 months!

BajaRon
03-13-2014, 01:39 PM
The answer is most likely, NO. For the reasons Scotty states. It just isn't cost effective to redesign the entire engine case to add a gear when 5 speeds do a very reasonable job already.

I'm rooting for the 1300 with jazzed up cams, timing, etc., to get a bit more zip. Probably won't happen that way because of the additional R&D/Production costs. Much less expensive to just put the same motor in everything. But it would be a fantastic marketing angle to get more young buyers and expand the sales pie. And, we can always hope, right?

I would also like to see a 'Naked' RS-S. Different look, less weight and show off the motor.

It's fun to speculate, and who knows. But we don't have to fund the process that brings this stuff to market. And that's where the rubber hits the road.

ARtraveler
03-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Also in the camp that is speculating that 2015 will show some change and movement in the RS and ST lineups. I am also speculating that there may be a souped up RSS with a bigger engine. I don't think that it would be more than 5 speeds. The RS sure does not need an overdrive.

BRP has a lot of available and innovative engines in the market, the fun part is incorporating them into the :spyder2:.

The experiment with Danica as a sort of RS spokesperson, may be the lead in for all of the above. A more sporty and redesigned RS would sure bring in additional demographics to the brand.

:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:

Bob Denman
03-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Do you think that having Danica as the "RS Lady", might drive Randy onto an RT? :shocked: :D

ARtraveler
03-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Do you think that having Danica as the "RS Lady", might drive Randy onto an RT? :shocked: :D

An interesting observation indeed. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
03-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Do you think that we should ask him? :roflblack:
:barf:

k67
03-14-2014, 07:04 AM
I know every body always wants to go bigger. but i think before
they do that they should put something smaller in the rs and rss
to get the price down some . just think that they need a more
of a entry level price to get more interest. they have the
bike pretty much right they just need to put more asses in the seats.

SNOOPY
03-14-2014, 07:24 AM
The transmission isn't separate, so it can't be transplanted to the 991 engine......

That was my initial thought when reading this thread.

Changing gear sets maybe, but no separate trans.

Bob Denman
03-14-2014, 07:36 AM
I know every body always wants to go bigger. but i think before
they do that they should put something smaller in the rs and rss
to get the price down some . just think that they need a more
of a entry level price to get more interest. they have the
bike pretty much right they just need to put more asses in the seats.
I don't think that I'd want to see the RS replaced with an entry-level bike... :shocked:
I'd lean more to sharpening it's focus, and adding a 600cc verson, that's a bit smaller in all directions...
...and much lighter! :thumbup:

SpyderRx
03-14-2014, 03:18 PM
That was my initial thought when reading this thread.

Changing gear sets maybe, but no separate trans.

Yeah, that answered that question quick. I didn't realize it was not 2 separate pieces