PDA

View Full Version : Test ride or not to test ride?

ramblin
08-18-2008, 04:01 AM
Hello Yall

I've put my name on a local waiting list (New Orleans), after learning about the Spyder online. Question to yall - I've never seen one in person, much less taken a test drive, but I'm anxious to get back on the road. Drowned four motorcycles in Katrina... Would you recommend I take a road trip to a dealership in Texas or Tenn that's offering test rides? Thanks...

zzneonzz
08-18-2008, 05:29 AM
I baught mine site unseen and never been happier....

Jeff in Dallas
08-18-2008, 06:49 AM
I had been interested in the Spyder since I first heard of it a couple of years ago. When they were finally available in Texas (and close to my house), I immediately went down to check out the demo and sign up for an upcoming Can-Am Demo Day.

The short ride during Demo Day was enough to give me second thoughts. I wasn't crazy about the Spyder. I had gone in with the expectation it would replace the experience of riding a bike. I left unimpressed.

But, I couldn't stop thinking about it. So, I talked to the sales manager who let me take the demo out for a couple of hours. That did the trick. Helped me understand that the Spyder is not a replacement to the experience of riding a bike, but a new way to spend more time in the wind. I put down a deposit and the Spyder arrived the next week.

Between the Spyder and the Harley, it's my car that gets little use.

So, my recommendation is to try before you buy OR go in with accurate expectations.

Good luck!!

BRPjunkie
08-18-2008, 07:50 AM
I agree. Demo ride does not close the deal. If you are happy on two wheels, stay there as the Spyder will not recreate that feeling. If you are looking to stay on the road with the fun of traveling in the open air and want greater safety, stability and are ready to give up all those annoying little two wheel traits (balance at every stop, searching for the kickstand, worrying about gravel at corners, straining to back up), thenthe Spyder fits the bill. Best of both worlds is to have both if your finances allow. First ride will bring out the differences between the Spyder and a motorcycle. Subsequent rides will be more relaxing and some of the differences will begin to surface as advantages. It took a couple hundred miles to really adjust.

ramblin
08-18-2008, 08:50 AM
thanks to all of you for replying. I had a bad fall once, in a turn, in gravel, and am thinking that the greater stability that is mentioned about the Spyder might help me over come that feeling. I really have no idea what to expect, but in my post Katrina world, that goes with the territory! Just wish there were owners in this area...anyone know of one in the New Orleans ar:joke:ea?...

ghost
08-18-2008, 11:42 AM
What's up, Ramblin? I'm in Houma,LA....I'm not an owner yet but this week I'll be driving to Laffayette to place an order for a silver/black one. The dealer said I should get it in 4 to 6 weeks. Hopefully I'll see you on the road one day.....soon!!

bigdave18629
08-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't know how your won't enjoy it, but try to get an extended ride. The fifteen minute demo is not long enough to really get a taste. I would have bought mine on the spot if I could have, seeing it made me the believer the ride was the clencher.

ramblin
08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey Ghost

Share with me the dealership in Lafayette? That's a second home to me, and I'd love to check in there. How long to get your bike? Ramblin:congrats:

ghost
08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
It's Laffayette PowerSports, on Hwy.90 inbetween Laffayette and Morgan City. (337)232-5362.....ask for David(hes' been real helpful so far). They don't carry any in stock so you have to order one if you want it.....they said it takes about 4 weeks,but I could get it sooner. I also checked with Gulf Shores Powersports in AL....they have one in stock now(last I checked) but I dont wanna make the trip there and then have the trouble of registering here in LA. I tried Nawlin's powersports but they had no clue when they were getting theres'

Director
08-18-2008, 12:54 PM
I agree. Demo ride does not close the deal. If you are happy on two wheels, stay there as the Spyder will not recreate that feeling. If you are looking to stay on the road with the fun of traveling in the open air and want greater safety, stability and are ready to give up all those annoying little two wheel traits (balance at every stop, searching for the kickstand, worrying about gravel at corners, straining to back up), thenthe Spyder fits the bill. Best of both worlds is to have both if your finances allow. First ride will bring out the differences between the Spyder and a motorcycle. Subsequent rides will be more relaxing and some of the differences will begin to surface as advantages. It took a couple hundred miles to really adjust.
:agree: Yes, indeed. It is "different" than a motorcycle, but not different in a bad way. I was not completely hooked until my second test ride, but thereafter just couldn't stop thinking about it. The venom is now coursing through my system. My name is Bruce, and I am a total Spyder addict. :yikes:

Bruce

FANG
08-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Saw :spyder:at dealership while scoping out a 2 wheeled ride. Saleman took the wife over to the :spyder:on the showroom floor and gave her the sales pitch. WhenI had picked out the 2 wheel ride (Honda VTX 1300R); walked over to the :spyder:and told the wife I had made my choice She said this is the one your going to get and she indicated the:spyder:. Bought it without a test ryde 1 month later. No regrets it a :2thumbs: ryde. I don't have to try and balance 900 lbs at a light (bad knees and back). And it has all the power to really satify the speed need. :spyder:is:firstplace:. Glad the wife has such good taste. Will be getting another for the wife soon. :yes::yes::yes:

Roaddog2
08-18-2008, 06:28 PM
:agree:

herekittykitty
08-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I have had mine for about 2 months, I'm in natchitoches la. had a two wheeler for about a year, first time ever on a bike, liked it but was scared of wrecking with me and the wife on it. once i saw the spyder was out, i got mine off ebay from florida. love it!! completely eliminates the fears of wrecking that come with the two wheeler. i trust my wife to drive this one. i am a long tome atv enthusiast, this is the riding style that i am very comfortable with. if its not bad weather or hauling something too big, I take it every where I go.

bjt
08-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I have had mine for about 2 months, I'm in natchitoches la. had a two wheeler for about a year, first time ever on a bike, liked it but was scared of wrecking with me and the wife on it. once i saw the spyder was out, i got mine off ebay from florida. love it!! completely eliminates the fears of wrecking that come with the two wheeler. i trust my wife to drive this one. i am a long tome atv enthusiast, this is the riding style that i am very comfortable with. if its not bad weather or hauling something too big, I take it every where I go.

welcome :spyder: