PDA

View Full Version : Fuel container ????

spydertrike
03-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm looking for a small fuel conatiner that will fit into the side bag on a 2012 RTS. I think at one point I read about a manufacture that has a small fuel container (explosive proof) that would fit in the side bag.

If anyone knows about a certain type that will fit in the side bag please let me know. Where to purchase it etc....

Greatly appreciated.

SNOOPY
03-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Are you just looking for something small in case you find yourself low or out of fuel?

I use these at times for work, can keep them inside a vehicle since they are sealed until use.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=383762-442-6527238&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3654390&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

NancysToy
03-10-2014, 09:46 PM
The REDA cans are made for motorcycle use and will fit in the side bags. The Rotopax are nice but their flat format works better in the front trunk or a trailer. They are made for ATV and similar uses. I'd suggest getting the Rotopax conventional spout. The safety spouts that are required by federal regulation are a big pain to use. I would also suggest carrying a small bottle of fuel stabilizer in case you need to refill the emergency supply. You never know how long it will sit there unused. I pour mine into my truck and refill the can a couple of times a year, despite the stabilizer.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Try this: http://www.esicycleproducts.com/redagascan.html
Looks good, but all he shows are the ones designed for Harley bags. Is that what you have? His page says Spyder but that can sure doesn't look like it fits very good into any of the Spyder compartments.

spacetiger
03-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Good option White Lightening.

Here is other option if you can store something in the frunk or can figure out a clever mounting for it (they make some options):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-Gallon-RotopaX-FACTORY-SECOND-Fuel-Pack-Gas-Container-Fuel-Can-/121105994302?hash=item1c327ad23e&vxp=mtr

jerry

NancysToy
03-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Looks good, but all he shows are the ones designed for Harley bags. Is that what you have? His page says Spyder but that can sure doesn't look like it fits very good into any of the Spyder compartments.

The REDA cans may be designed for Harleys, but they fit just fine into the Spyder saddlebags. I can carry two in the left bag, plus a small bottle of stabile and a small bag of extra tools.

spacetiger
03-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Are you just looking for something small in case you find yourself low or out of fuel?

I use these at times for work, can keep them inside a vehicle since they are sealed until use.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=383762-442-6527238&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3654390&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I like this option. Its only a 1/4 gal, but that is enough for maybe 8 mi if you ride no faster than 40 mph. Having run out before, That is about the distance I'd have had to walk to just have gotten to a gas station. Not a lot of margin, but better than walking. Perhaps 2 for a 15 mil emergency reserve.

I'll have to check out the size of the container. Do you know where in Lowe's they are at?

Jerry

Highwayman2013
03-10-2014, 10:37 PM
Plus 1 on the REDA, fits the Spyder just fine.

2Paw
03-10-2014, 11:56 PM
will lay flat on the bottom of the right side compartment of a 2012 RTS. That is what I use.

SNOOPY
03-11-2014, 05:00 AM
I like this option. Its only a 1/4 gal, but that is enough for maybe 8 mi if you ride no faster than 40 mph. Having run out before, That is about the distance I'd have had to walk to just have gotten to a gas station. Not a lot of margin, but better than walking. Perhaps 2 for a 15 mil emergency reserve.

I'll have to check out the size of the container. Do you know where in Lowe's they are at?

Jerry

Lowes was just an example, they are in the lawn equipment area. Also I've seen them at cycle shops, great for carrying in our ATVs in the past. Lawn equipment shops also carry it.

SNOOPY
03-11-2014, 05:02 AM
I would be be a bit hesitant to use this in my Spyder or autos. This is from the product description for the 4 cycle product ( they also make this stuff for 2 cycle engines), "TruFuel addresses the need for fuel that will not break down in limited use equipment like generators and power washers. Contains the TF3 performance package; engineered for small engines and with the following features and benefits: Powerful Detergent prevents deposits and cleans the fuel system; friction modifier lubricates engine parts and improves fuel economy; advanced stabilizer prevents corrosion and extends shelf life over two years after opening."

For limited use I've had no issue running it. I also use it full time in a Honda generator I use once every week or two for work.

Bob Denman
03-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Reda and Rotopax... Neither one leak! :thumbup:
(As long as you tighten everything down properly... :shocked:)

Cruzr Joe
03-11-2014, 08:53 AM

The instructions specifically say not for motor vehicle use, will foul your plugs and emit a large amount of smoke in any 4 cycle motor.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-11-2014, 09:04 AM
:D "Smokescreen Juice"?? :D
It makes him feel like 007's best friend! :thumbup:

SNOOPY
03-11-2014, 07:52 PM
The instructions specifically say not for motor vehicle use, will foul your plugs and emit a large amount of smoke in any 4 cycle motor.

Cruzr Joe

You are reading the wrong thing Joe.

They make this for 4 cycles and for 2 cycles, you are reading the 2 cycle can! :banghead:

Again, I use this product on a weekly basis in my work, in 4 cycle engines, never had a problem, never and "smoke", never any fumes in my work van from them.

SNOOPY
03-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Cruzr Joe

I can't even see where you found that info?

Not in what I posted, I posted the 4 cycle fuel?

metman
03-11-2014, 09:10 PM
I just went to the RotopaX eBay store and bought factory seconds. A (1) gallon for a saddle bag and a (2) gallon for the RT-622 trailer, along with (2) conventional spouts, like Scotty and 2Paw suggested.

We'll take both on this next 5K+ trip thru TX, NM, and on to Vegas. Having extra gas coming back through UT, CO, and Kansas might be a good idea too.

Thanks guys, you are the greatest. See ya's at Spyderfest 2014.

Mike in KY

Wiredux
03-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Can anyone post pictures of how you mount this inside a 622?

Bob Denman
03-12-2014, 07:51 AM
I know that Cruzr Joe's got one hooked to the outside of his trailer... :dontknow:

KX5062
03-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Another satisfied Reda customer here. It works well and fits into the frunk or side cases. It doesn't spill or leak, but does emit a fuel smell if left in there for several days or more. (any plastic fuel container will, it's just the nature of the beast)

Cruzr Joe
03-12-2014, 09:27 AM
I know that Cruzr Joe's got one hooked to the outside of his trailer... :dontknow:

84734 This works great, but it's not a BRP trailer (1.75 gallon size)

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM
You are reading the wrong thing Joe.

They make this for 4 cycles and for 2 cycles, you are reading the 2 cycle can! :banghead:

Again, I use this product on a weekly basis in my work, in 4 cycle engines, never had a problem, never and "smoke", never any fumes in my work van from them.

I have a call in to the Trufuel Company and am awaiting a reply, this would be a great item if it is safe to use in our Spyders for emergency use.. UPDATE from company to follow. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe

Cruzr Joe
03-12-2014, 11:07 AM
I just spoke to the Rep from Trufuel

The 4 cycle TRUFUEL in the Silver Can is perfectly fine for Cars or Motorcycles. So i stand corrected.

This would be great as an emergency fuel. Snoopy, thanks for pointing this out.

Cruzr Joe

jcthorne
03-12-2014, 11:58 AM

Those are a great idea. They will not smell up other items in the compartment either being a sealed metal can. Any idea what the shelf life is?

Think I will get one for each of our bikes and keep it in the bottom of the frunk. Just in case I miscalculate a fuel stop a bit. A quart will get me 6 to 8 miles if I am careful.

Lowes offers a 17% discount on these if you buy 3. They are also available at Amazon in a case of 6 with free shipping.