PDA

View Full Version : Northern California Earthquake...

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 07:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yRdDnrB5kM

The reports this morning haven't specified where the epicent was.
How far offshore was it, and has any damage been reported?
I hope that all of our California friends, are okay... :shocked:

Blue Star
03-10-2014, 09:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yRdDnrB5kM

The reports this morning haven't specified where the epicent was.
How far offshore was it, and has any damage been reported?
I hope that all of our California friends, are okay... :shocked:

Southern California here, and did not feel a thing.

cptjam
03-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Just left San Fransisco a couple hours ago. Nothing here!

Dan_Ashley
03-10-2014, 11:55 AM
It was a huge 6.9 located 50 miles offshore almost directly West of sparsely populated town of Eureka in Northern California. No tsunami expected.

Eureka is about 275 miles North of San Francisco. The California coast is 853 miles long.

Pirate looks at --
03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Looks like it was far enough off shore and deep enough that it was a relative non event. I am in the Sacramento Area Northern Califronia and we didn't feel a thing, and there was nonTsunami alert either. It was 75 degrees this weekend and we took a 250 cruise through the Napa Valley, through the Coastal Redwoods and to the Ocean. Awesome

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm glad to hear that it became a non-event... :D

Dan_Ashley
03-10-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm glad to hear that it became a non-event... :Dmost earthquakes are non-events. Only a very few are "big". And even those have highly localized damage. For example nearly all the damage in the Northridge quake occurred within 3 sq miles. In the Lander's quake, a stop sign fell down. We have really good building codes. The absolutely safest place in an earthquake is inside a California home. That is the reason our houses are built out of wood and stucco, bolted to the foundation...etc.

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 05:41 PM
For those of us who don't have much experience with "Terra Ferma" doing a jig (One 4.2, another 4.1); we have to rely on what the Lamestream Media decides to feed us for news... :gaah: Glad to hear that you guys have got it pretty much sorted out...
But still: "The more-"Ferma"; the less-"Terra"! :D

ARtraveler
03-11-2014, 01:32 PM
The ones that go off and do not do any damage are good. They release fault pressure that is building up.

Jeriatric
03-11-2014, 01:40 PM
It appears that the temblor broke along the Cascadia subduction zone, which USGS defines as "a megathrust that forms the collisional plate boundary between the subducting Explorer, Juan de Fuca, and Gorda Plates and the overriding North America Plate, and it extends 1,200 km from offshore northern California to southern British Columbia."

Bob Denman
03-11-2014, 01:41 PM
:shocked: What language, was that in?
It was pretty! :D

Jeriatric
03-11-2014, 02:01 PM
It was pretty! :D

Plate tectonics

ARtraveler
03-11-2014, 02:12 PM