PDA

View Full Version : lockedout of trunk

bluestratos
03-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Ok, i am a dumb ass,
I Had the frunk off to install my HID fog lights and forgot to hook back up the hood release cable. how do i release from outside (2014 rt)

Big Arm
03-09-2014, 11:13 PM
I think I would remove the trunk again, and take a good size hole-saw to the trunk in an inconspicuous place, and work thru that hole, to release the latch, maybe with a hooked wire.:dontknow:
Let us know how you get-er-done.

jwulf74
03-09-2014, 11:22 PM
I think I would try to catch the arm to release it with a coathanger... not sure if there is enough room to get one in the space between the lid and body or not though...

good luck.

happyspyder2039
03-09-2014, 11:25 PM
Ok, i am a dumb ass,
I Had the frunk off to install my HID fog lights and forgot to hook back up the hood release cable. how do i release from outside (2014 rt)
I would think you could get to the latch with the trunk removed but :dontknow:

Jim&Teresa
03-09-2014, 11:27 PM
The frunk lid has some flexibility....if you lift the corner of the lid gently and use a long bladed screwdriver, I think it might be possible to release it (probably need a flashlight and look as you use a long screwdriver in there....thin diameter, long reach screwdriver. Maybe wrap the screwdriver with a small cloth where it touches the plastic on the body and frunk lid to prevent any abrasions....hope you get it open!!:yikes:

Jim&Teresa
03-09-2014, 11:35 PM
The frunk lid has some flexibility....if you lift the corner of the lid gently and use a long bladed screwdriver, I think it might be possible to release it (probably need a flashlight and look as you use a long screwdriver in there....thin diameter, long reach screwdriver. Maybe wrap the screwdriver with a small cloth where it touches the plastic on the body and frunk lid to prevent any abrasions....hope you get it open!!:yikes:

From "Flight risk" post back on Sept 2012 -- another option...hope it helps:

When my bike key slipped out of my hand just as I was closing the frunk.......I was in deep do-do. I young man riding with us has a medium length small screwdriver and he slid it in at the top of the frunk where it latches and popped the frunk open. Relief and yes, I now carry both keys with me.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-10-2014, 12:55 AM
I think I would remove the trunk again,
Can't do that without opening the hood first, which he can't do.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Ok, i am a dumb ass,
Like others have said, a long screwdriver or something like that. What you are after is to push or pull the lever on the latch. It moves to the left (of the bike) to open. Maybe you can get a cop to come by with a "slim jim".

Peter Aawen
03-10-2014, 06:00 AM
^^ and if you can't do that (either of those options really) then it's probably time to take it to your nearest BRP dealer & just pay whatever they ask!!! :yikes:

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 06:56 AM
:shocked: This ain't good...
The screwdriver trick, is about your best bet...
Good Luck; please let us know what happens! :thumbup:

CanAmKidd
03-10-2014, 07:00 AM
I wonder how difficult it is to access the upper end of the cable?

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 07:06 AM
If it's not hooked up to anything; he's got to pretty much go right to the latching mechanism... :yikes:

CanAmKidd
03-10-2014, 07:17 AM
:duh: I read the suggested link that someone dropped their key in the trunk... My bad.
I think for this reason I'm installing an emergency release cable and stashing it away.

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 07:29 AM
I also almost replied in the same manner... :opps:
I hate Monday mornings; after Daylight Savings kicks in... :coffee:

bluestratos
03-10-2014, 09:32 AM
The one attachment showing the line drawings of the trunk is very helpful, if anyone could send me a good close up of the mechanism with your frunk lid open it would be great. I can slid a coat hanger in from the left side easily but I am flying blind without a good reference. Also, if you have the time, take from the far side of the release lever to the left side of the frunk lid and a second measurement from the center line of the headlights to the centerline of the latch. Once I know how far to go past and pull back I will get it easily. It appears there are two ways to do this. The second way would be like the screw driver trick, slip it down from the top and slide sideways. The issue is the distance from the headlight bezel to the top edge of the frunk lid is very short so I would also need to know how far I have to go to hit the release lever from the top edge of the lid.

Sure appreciate all you help,

Randy

Dan McNally
03-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Saw the post and went out to take some photos . . . I hope these are helpful . . . 8457184570 I pushed the latch closed so you could see what you are dealing with . . .

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Oh, not good! :opps: I didn't think about the lever I pointed out on the diagram being under the left side service cover. You can't get to it to pull on it.

GeoffCee
03-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Does the release switch on the dash also operate through the cable or through a solenoid directly attached to the locking mechanism? Engine has to be running.

Just a clutch at another straw... :shocked:

Jeriatric
03-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Great pics and inhancements guys.

Thought

If you are worried about scratching things up. Use a woden dowel. You could notch it too. Then it wouldn't slip past the the lever. just thinking out loud.

bluestratos
03-10-2014, 12:01 PM
2014s do not have the solenoid anymore so only the key/cable now. I was just checking into buying solenoid actually, lol. The pictures were helpful, I can see the location of the latch and the release arm. I should be able to use a dowel to push right a the spring to pop it. I will check it out to night. I was also thinking of buying a cheap inspection camera from Harbour Freight to help locate the exact location.

Any one else with pictures can be a help if a bit further back so I can see the latch location in relationship to the head lights/centerline of vehicle. I may be able to make an L shaped tool that I can slide along the top of the lid to ingage the vertical section the spring attaches too.

Thanks again :-)

GeoffCee
03-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Any one else with pictures can be a help if a bit further back so I can see the latch location in relationship to the head lights/centerline of vehicle. I may be able to make an L shaped tool that I can slide along the top of the lid to ingage the vertical section the spring attaches too.

Thanks again :-)

I've annotated and improved the detail in this shot originally posted by Hayfield.

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Joe,
Great pic; Thanks! :thumbup:
I'm going to have to see if I can practice this stunt in the safety of the garage...

Magdave
03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
It took my dealer 5 min to reattach mine after they forgot to reconnect it during the recent fuse box repair. I don't know how but it must be easy enough try calling yours. :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Does the release switch on the dash also operate through the cable or through a solenoid directly attached to the locking mechanism? Engine has to be running.

Just a clutch at another straw... :shocked:

No solenoid on base 2013 RT. Maybe same for 2014?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

jwulf74
03-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Actually this thread makes me really nervous about the security of the drunk now... once Bluestratous gets his unlocked, I wonder if the whole thread should be deleted so as to not leave an easy blueprint out the for any unscrupulous types...

Yes I am easily paranoid, but sometimes they really are out to get you (or your stuff).

ivanlee
03-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Actually this thread makes me really nervous about the security of the drunk now... once Bluestratous gets his unlocked, I wonder if the whole thread should be deleted so as to not leave an easy blueprint out the for any unscrupulous types...

Yes I am easily paranoid, but sometimes they really are out to get you (or your stuff).

If they wanted to open the trunk they are not going to try to unlatch it. :ohyea:

OJ UK
03-10-2014, 01:31 PM

See your point. TBH (at least here in the UK) if the bad guy wanted in, he'd get in. A jemmy/tire iron to spring the lid enough
to get fingers in and then just snap the plastic. :yikes: The Spyder frunk is never going to emulate secure storage! More: Out of sight, out of mind.

Jeriatric
03-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Understand where you are coming from. For sure. But a thief ain't gonna bother with picking a lock. He'll just rip the lid open.

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 01:32 PM
:agree: After all; it only takes a claw hammer, and about a quarter of a twist... :shocked: if you don't care about preserving the finish! :yikes:

Magdave
03-10-2014, 01:48 PM
And you can break into a car with a tennis ball with a hole in it in 5sec. Locks only keep honest people honest others not so much.:dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
03-10-2014, 02:00 PM

It's too late we already know where you live now.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 02:19 PM
He's not going be able to sleep... EVER!! :shocked:

Cruzr Joe
03-10-2014, 02:24 PM

yes, but when he does sleep, we will really get his stuff.

Cruzr Joe

bluestratos
03-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Lol...

Thanks for the last picture, it is all coming together in my head now. I am work so in about 4 hours I will give it another try. I picked up an inspection camera at lunch so it should be easy now.

jwulf74
03-10-2014, 02:50 PM

Lol, nope. I live by the motto "if it ain't locked down, it will walk away.". I'm the guy that has a thick cable locking down our table and chairs that sit out front...and we live in a pretty safe neighborhood.:)

Jim&Teresa
03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I've annotated and improved the detail in this shot originally posted by Hayfield.

NICE....really points out where to push -- great pic... thanks! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hope to never have to do this, but if I need to, I'll remember your pic!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Jeriatric
03-10-2014, 03:03 PM
one of my riding buddys gave me one of these. He's convinced someone would be willing to put their face in one of my helmets :roflblack: :lecturef_smilie: http://pacsafe.com/lidsafe-anti-theft-helmet-bag

Lol, nope. I live by the motto "if it ain't locked down, it will walk away.". I'm the guy that has a thick cable locking down our table and chairs that sit out front...and we live in a pretty safe neighborhood.:)

bluestratos
03-10-2014, 03:21 PM
I live by the motto "why worry, be happy"..........."you live 'til you die" and "it's only money" .....

I will let you know how it goes tonight... until then... They are here, they are there, they are everywhere... so beware!!! lol.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-10-2014, 04:17 PM
I live by the motto "why worry, be happy"..........."you live 'til you die" and "it's only money" .....

I will let you know how it goes tonight... until then... They are here, they are there, they are everywhere... so beware!!! lol.
Got it figured out for you. I sent you a PM with instructions and a link to pics . In the interest of not wildly, and widely, spreading around the solution for nefarious characters to pick up, I won't post it here. If anyone else needs to know how to do it PM me. Now I know why my spare smart key is not hidden in the frunk.

If anyone wants to know how to hide your spare key in, what I think anyway, is a fairly secure fashion but reasonably easy to access, PM me.

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Good Luck!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_107v.gif

bluestratos
03-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks WasWinger, that is perfect and simple to do.

Got it figured out for you. I sent you a PM with instructions and a link to pics . In the interest of not wildly, and widely, spreading around the solution for nefarious characters to pick up, I won't post it here. If anyone else needs to know how to do it PM me. Now I know why my spare smart key is not hidden in the frunk.

If anyone wants to know how to hide your spare key in, what I think anyway, is a fairly secure fashion but reasonably easy to access, PM me.

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Any chance of letting me in on, "The BIG Secret"? :D :dontknow:

jerpinoy
03-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Did you ever tried to call Justin from Lifestyle in Mt vernon? He may able to give you some pointer how to. Good luck .

bluestratos
03-10-2014, 07:55 PM
I am in and it took less than a minute. If you need more info just PM me out of respect for those that would rather it not be published. Thanks again WasWinger :yes::yes: