PDA

View Full Version : ever seen something like this with deer

cuznjohn
03-09-2014, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbE6I8O7wDo

spydaman60
03-09-2014, 07:45 PM
can't say I've got them as friendly as he does, but we have 12 to 14 whitetails per night for dinner.:thumbup:

Craniac
03-09-2014, 07:48 PM
can't say I've got them as friendly as he does, but we have 12 to 14 whitetails per night for dinner.:thumbup:
That's a LOT to eat for dinner. You would think the herd would thin out after awhile.

SNOOPY
03-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Kinda like Lamont and his racoons. roflmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnxzuxWbyaM

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Here's one of feeding elk in central Idaho. Helps to keep them out of farmers' haystacks and from crossing a main north/south highway in the valley and causing accidents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4SsQ9n1Sg

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 07:17 AM
I agree with Chuck; not quite as well-trained... But Deer are creatures of opportunity, and will always take the easiest meal that they can safely score. :thumbup:

But I don't think that I'd have walked out amongst those bucks... those racks could mess you up... or WORSE, if things turned ugly. :shocked:

cuznjohn
03-10-2014, 08:00 AM
when i had my house in Franklin NY one of my neighbors that had over 200 acres attached to my land would go up in the woods when we had really bad snow, he would use his logging skidder to plow paths for the deer and would also put out feed for them.

bruiser
03-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Last week we were entering the base from the back gate. There is a wooded area there and some old rail tracks that lead into the base. We noticed some of the guards and security police looking at something beyond the fence. When we cleared the gate we stopped to see what was going on. There were 9 deer standing on the tracks about 50 feet beyond the fence.

Cool videos though.

grumpybob
03-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Around here if you start feeding deer at the beginning of winter you have to keep feeding them all winter. If you start feeding them in the middle of winter they can't digest good food as their digestive system isn't gong to digest properly, they can starve eating good rations. Or so I'm told.

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 10:47 AM
:dontknow: But I've never seen one starve to death, on a diet of corn and molasses... :thumbup:

mowin
03-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Around here if you start feeding deer at the beginning of winter you have to keep feeding them all winter. If you start feeding them in the middle of winter they can't digest good food as their digestive system isn't gong to digest properly, they can starve eating good rations. Or so I'm told.

This is true to an extent... if the deer is srarving and on the downhill slide, there systems cannot handle the high protien/carb foods, so they can still starve will having a full belly. If the deer is relatively healthy those foods will be fine.

The problem is when you feed deer, they kinda expect it. Every yr the same heard grows and bring there offspring to the feed station . So if you are not carefull you could have more critters to feed than you can pay for. Start out feeding 4 deer and a few yrs later you have 15.

vrodrjs
03-10-2014, 01:15 PM
I have a Saint Bernard that enforces a strict no rabbit, no deer zone around the house. I like it that way. I got tired of feeding the deer with all the landscaping.

Bob Denman
03-10-2014, 01:34 PM
This is true to an extent... if the deer is srarving and on the downhill slide, there systems cannot handle the high protien/carb foods, so they can still starve will having a full belly. If the deer is relatively healthy those foods will be fine.

The problem is when you feed deer, they kinda expect it. Every yr the same heard grows and bring there offspring to the feed station . So if you are not carefull you could have more critters to feed than you can pay for. Start out feeding 4 deer and a few yrs later you have 15.
:agree: They'll put up with a lot of human interaction; for a free meal. nojoke

ARtraveler
03-11-2014, 01:36 PM
When I lived in Ashland WI, we had a herd of deer in our area. A couple nights a year, the whole herd would bed down on our front lawn. No, it was never during deer hunting season. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Contrary to popular belief; Deer CAN read a Calendar! :D

mowin
03-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Contrary to popular belief; Deer CAN read a Calendar! :D

They know......, go deer hunting, see squirrels, go squirrel hunting, see deer...:banghead:

spydaman60
03-11-2014, 02:30 PM
I have a Saint Bernard that enforces a strict no rabbit, no deer zone around the house. I like it that way. I got tired of feeding the deer with all the landscaping.we have a 103lb. chocolate lab as our pet and hunting companion. :thumbup: the deer see him inside the house and wonder what one of them is doing on the wrong side of the glass door. (he's the same color they are) they wait around for us to feed them and will walk right into the yard when he is outside with me and their corn, as they could care less. once in a while he'll walk up to one of them, but generally he just minds his own business and watches them feed. they keep a real close eye on him though!:yikes:

vrodrjs
03-11-2014, 08:08 PM
we have a 103lb. chocolate lab as our pet and hunting companion. :thumbup: the deer see him inside the house and wonder what one of them is doing on the wrong side of the glass door. (he's the same color they are) they wait around for us to feed them and will walk right into the yard when he is outside with me and their corn, as they could care less. once in a while he'll walk up to one of them, but generally he just minds his own business and watches them feed. they keep a real close eye on him though!:yikes:

I've a couple of them stand their ground when Molly first makes her move at them. Then they realize she has a full head of steam and she means business, tails up and about face every time.:thumbup: Don't get me wrong, I like wildlife just not when it is eating my plants and rubbing my trees to death.

Bob Denman
03-12-2014, 07:25 AM
we have a 103lb. chocolate lab as our pet and hunting companion. :thumbup: the deer see him inside the house and wonder what one of them is doing on the wrong side of the glass door. (he's the same color they are) they wait around for us to feed them and will walk right into the yard when he is outside with me and their corn, as they could care less. once in a while he'll walk up to one of them, but generally he just minds his own business and watches them feed. they keep a real close eye on him though!:yikes:
I know what the deer are thinking:
"Why does that guy smell like dog:cus:?" :shocked: