PDA

View Full Version : Locked myself out of computer

Charles Faw
03-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Yesterday I decided to restore my Dell desktop with Windows 7 to an earlier state using Norton Ghost. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to write down the user password when I created the restore point about a year and a half ago :banghead:. I do have another usable computer with which I've tried a couple of password cracking programs (PC Login Now and Windows Password Key Standard free version) to no avail.
Any suggestions from the "computer savvy" folks here? The wife's been almost a day without facebook or candy crush, and she ain't happy!

Bob Denman
03-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Doesn't one of the function keys allow you to see what's going on as the computer is starting up? You might find something useful in there...
F2? F12??? :dontknow:

Motorcycledave
03-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Find a 10 year old in your area, bribe him/her with a little $$$ they will have it up and running
in minutes .... hahaha try it.

Yesterday I decided to restore my Dell desktop with Windows 7 to an earlier state using Norton Ghost. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to write down the user password when I created the restore point about a year and a half ago :banghead:. I do have another usable computer with which I've tried a couple of password cracking programs (PC Login Now and Windows Password Key Standard free version) to no avail.
Any suggestions from the "computer savvy" folks here? The wife's been almost a day without facebook or candy crush, and she ain't happy!

BayouSpyder
03-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Turn off your computer and turn back on. Press F8 Key to boot into Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode you can reset your password.

Dan_Ashley
03-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Computers were invented by the devil.

i suggest that you check out the thread on concealed carry, acquire one of the fine firearms discussed there, load it with hollow points, then point the gun at the computer and fire all except one shot into the computer. Then point the gun at the monitor and fire the last shot into it.

Be be careful using the firearm. Computers are from the devel, and he won't like you for damaging his invention of evil.

Bob Denman
03-09-2014, 01:31 PM
But if you're not comfortable using a sidearm...

Charles Faw
03-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys. Roger, your link worked. I do have a system repair disk and was able to change the password through the command prompt. Next up: creating a password recovery disk in case I get into this again:2thumbs:

Flanker
03-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Turn off your computer and turn back on. Press F8 Key to boot into Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode you can reset your password.

Excellent advice................................now if they can only remember it; :pray: when the need arises. :joke:

Cavman
03-09-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm not real computer savvy so I write my passwords on paper. There are six pages I have now.

Charles Faw
03-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Once in safe mode, I still had to go thru the log on page. How exactly do you reset the password in safe mode?