PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

hellridgeryder
03-08-2014, 10:44 AM
I have a 2012 RT Limited and would like to add XM radio. The XM band is not displayed when I select the band. Is it possible to equip the radio for XM?

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-08-2014, 10:58 AM
I have a 2012 RT Limited and would like to add XM radio. The XM band is not displayed when I select the band. Is it possible to equip the radio for XM?
It's a separate add on radio, connected to the current radio via an entertainment harness, which you also have to buy separately. An audio device not connected will not show up on the display. It will once it's installed.

happyspyder2039
03-08-2014, 10:59 AM
I have a 2012 RT Limited and would like to add XM radio. The XM band is not displayed when I select the band. Is it possible to equip the radio for XM?you need to purchase the xm kit from brp for it work. I just hooked up Sirius portable in rear trunk

hellridgeryder
03-08-2014, 11:07 AM
I have installed the communications system so I think I have the entertainment harness. Does that make it more doable?

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-08-2014, 11:29 AM
I have installed the communications system so I think I have the entertainment harness. Does that make it more doable?
With the CB, right? If so you're pretty well set. Mount the radio on the front of the left saddlebag, plug it in to the harness, locate the antenna wherever, and you should be ready to listen to music!

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 11:49 AM
you need to purchase the xm kit from brp for it work. I just hooked up Sirius portable in rear trunk
I just got done wiring up an XM Onyx in the trunk too! :thumbup: You use an MP-3 cable from BRP, to tap it into the stereo.

scooterexpress
03-08-2014, 12:51 PM
I inline amp for motust got done wiring up an XM Onyx in the trunk too! :thumbup: You use an MP-3 cable from BRP, to tap it into the stereo.
Ditto on this I also use a Inline amp for more volume works great.

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Thone only issue that I'm having with mine...
I thought that the 12 volt port was fused... it isn't! :shocked:
There's power to it with the bike shut off.
I checked the right-side fuse box... and the fuse is in the "keyed" position (#6)

I am guessing that BRP went back to leaving it hot all of the time... AGAIN!

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Ditto on this I also use a Inline amp for more volume works great.
Money saving way to go for sure, but you can't control the XM from the audio controls, right? That would be the one big + for using the BRP XM radio.

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 03:34 PM
That's true... :D
But for only fifty bucks; I've at least got XM radio on my bike! :yes:

happyspyder2039
03-08-2014, 06:44 PM
That's true... :D
But for only fifty bucks; I've at least got XM radio on my bike! :yes:they also don't advertise but u can buy lifetime programming for portable

NancysToy
03-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Thone only issue that I'm having with mine...
I thought that the 12 volt port was fused... it isn't! :shocked:
There's power to it with the bike shut off.
I checked the right-side fuse box... and the fuse is in the "keyed" position (#6)

I am guessing that BRP went back to leaving it hot all of the time... AGAIN!

Did you try the other position? I thought #7 was the unswitched slot...but my memory isn't what it used to be.

scooterexpress
03-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Money saving way to go for sure, but you can't control the XM from the audio controls, right? That would be the one big + for using the BRP XM radio.
For me I only listen to the 70's so I never need to switch.

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Did you try the other position? I thought #7 was the unswitched slot...but my memory isn't what it used to be.
Well... The fuse is currently in 6; that should only be hot with the key on....
7 is listed as hot all of the time
I should have tried switching them; just to see what might happen...
...Sounds like a chore to kill time before the race starts! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-09-2014, 09:52 AM
84502 I hope that you can see the mounting position of the XM antenna in this picture...
It's safe, secure, and out of sight! :thumbup:

denviola
03-09-2014, 10:01 AM
84502 I hope that you can see the mounting position of the XM antenna in this picture...
It's safe, secure, and out of sight! :thumbup:

Do you bring the antenna out when you ride, or does it get enough signal in the trunk?

happyspyder2039
03-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Do you bring the antenna out when you ride, or does it get enough signal in the trunk?
The pic is my rear trunk. & the antenna gets great signal inside as it is Velcro in place

Bob Denman
03-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Yes it is! :thumbup:
I grabbed a copy of it in preparation for my adventure in the tiop trunk...
My installsion looks suspiciously like yours! :D

Bob Denman
03-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Well... The fuse is currently in 6; that should only be hot with the key on....
7 is listed as hot all of the time
I should have tried switching them; just to see what might happen...
...Sounds like a chore to kill time before the race starts! :thumbup:
EDIT TO THIS POST: As it turns out; position #6 DOES have the power shutting down with the key...
I was shutting the bike off, and still had power back there... :shocked:

I forgot about the amount of time it takes for the bike to fully power itself down... :opps:

And the Onyx DID power itself up, right where it left off with the next firing up of the bike!
As Gilda would say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

happyspyder2039
03-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Yes it is! :thumbup:
I grabbed a copy of it in preparation for my adventure in the tiop trunk...
My installsion looks suspiciously like yours! :Dthats great bob. I just wish I could make my plug only on with key but apparently in 2012 RTs are hot all the time