PDA

View Full Version : Tools

MrBlonde
03-08-2014, 03:11 AM
Being a newb to Spyders I was wondering what tools/kit are handy to carry with me as well as the tool kit that came with it.When we went out on the Raptors there always a few extras in the bags just in case :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

NancysToy
03-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Lots of folks like to have a different torx screwdriver, either ratchet or power. A small funnel to assist when adding oil is adviseable on long trips. I'd suggest that you see what you use from the toolbox during maintenance, if you do your own, then toss in those things you use frequently. The Spyder really doesn't lend itself to roadside repairs.

DrewNJ
03-08-2014, 08:29 AM
The only tools I carry are some provisions to fix a roadside flat and a cell phone.
Your not accomplishing anything with that on board tool kit and there's not much your doing on the side of the road.....haha

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

MouthPiece
03-08-2014, 08:35 AM
The only tools I carry are some provisions to fix a roadside flat and a cell phone.
Your not accomplishing anything with that on board tool kit and there's not much your doing on the side of the road.....haha

I agree 100% for people who are like me. I am the antithesis to what is labeled a "gear head". I couldn't tell you the difference between a phillips and flat head screw driver. I do know how to start a can of fix a flat and that's about it.

My suggestion, like Drew's, would be to have a cell phone, know where the closest spyder dealerships are on your route, a little "road money" and have a good roadside assistance plan.

Chris

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 09:08 AM
I'm even worse than Mouthpice is, when it comes to powering-up the toolkit... :opps:
I always add an adjustable wrench... make sure that the one you get, is for metric use! :D
The aforementioned flat-tire "stuff" is never a bad idea either...
Oh! Small LED flashlights; don't forget them! :shocked:

OJ UK
03-08-2014, 09:47 AM
In the UK with it's somewhat limited Spyder dealership network (about four maybe five dealers)
I think the most important asset is a good recovery service. That's it. Even a serious puncture
will require a dealer to replace the tyre.....which can only be obtained at a dealership and if it's
a rear then it has to be fitted at a dealership.
Keep an eye on the oil level and always keep the tyres in good condition ( replace when down to two thirds worn.)
then you are less likely to get a puncture.

Flanker
03-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Lots of folks like to have a different torx screwdriver, either ratchet or power. A small funnel to assist when adding oil is adviseable on long trips. I'd suggest that you see what you use from the toolbox during maintenance, if you do your own, then toss in those things you use frequently. The Spyder really doesn't lend itself to roadside repairs.

Good advice!

MrBlonde
03-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Ok here's the problem there are no dealers up here in Scotland that I know or heard of anyways and why does it have to be a dealer that fits a new back tyre???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

cognaccruiser
03-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Things that have been mentioned already like tire repair materials to at least get you some distance. Included in that I've always carried a valve stem tool to tighten or remove a valve stem. Some basic tools. Sometimes some extra fuses that are appropriate for the bike can come in handy. I used to carry bike friendly battery jump cables but never have had to use them. A flashlight is always a good thing to have. Also some graphite lock lube that can be inserted into the lock if it gets dodgy.
Lastly, for years I've carried a small roll of duct tape and a small roll of picture wire. Have used the wire once on another bike to get them to a bike shop. Their slip on pipe bracket let go. Have used the duct tape a few times for things such as a rad hose leak (not mine). Again, not a real fix but got them to a garage. These are things I carry when doing longer trips and not just running around home.

Gary

Bob Denman
03-08-2014, 11:52 AM
It doesn't HAVE to be done by a dealer...
But let's face it; they're probably the best-trained person around, to be fussing with a very important piece of your bike... :shocked:
When the rear wheel needs removing, it's usually a good idea to replace the bearings as well... Cheap insurance! :thumbup:

murphybrown
03-08-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm even worse than Mouthpice is, when it comes to powering-up the toolkit... :opps:
I always add an adjustable wrench... make sure that the one you get, is for metric use! :D
The aforementioned flat-tire "stuff" is never a bad idea either...
Oh! Small LED flashlights; don't forget them! :shocked:
i have emergency survival kit...space blanket, fire starter..etc so that I can survive relatively comfortable for at least 48 hrs. ALWAYS have me SPOT tracker and fresh batteries. Thinking the only thing I'm adding the start of this season is the Stop n Go tire repair kit w/compressor. Maybe will find someone along side of road who needs!!!!:clap:

DrewNJ
03-08-2014, 04:13 PM
One of the best things I ever did was converting an unused jet ski trailer into a flatbed with some tie downs.
Even My kid and wife are able to hook it all up if there was ever a need for a rescue.

tbhlaw
03-08-2014, 04:56 PM
We put on over 20,000 miles on our bikes a year. I carry a small tool bag with the following: Electrical tape; socket and ratchet to remove Baker Air Wings when checking oil, extra O ring when we lose ours when checking oil; a flat and phillips screw driver; folding knife; small funnel for adding oil; quart of oil; extra fuses; adjustable wrench. a sealable bag with plastic disposable gloves to keep hands clean when checking oil and tire pressure; tire pressure gauge; air pump; tire repair kit; fold up multi torx tool and disposable wipes.